'the Fly' and Rage Against the Machine's "Guerrilla Radio"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Has anyone else heard a similiarity in this song? The beginning is basically played in a higher note. The solo kind sounds similiar... did Rage get any inspiration from U2?

yes opened on popmart but they don't really sound too similar to me. But yes I guess they are influenced, just listen to War Within A Breath. "Everything can change on a new year's day"..

There was a article a long time ago (Pop era) talking with Tom Merello (sp?) about how the song was influenced by The Fly.

The riff is pretty identical, it's just played more to Tom's musical style.

Tom Morello and The Edge couldn't be more different if they tried...yet similar in concept of what they feel the guitar should be.

I've never really heard the similarities in GR and the Fly, but I think the passion of each song has a similar feeling.

Other than that they just two really great songs...:up:

BEAL said:
There was a article a long time ago (Pop era) talking with Tom Merello (sp?) about how the song was influenced by The Fly.

The riff is pretty identical, it's just played more to Tom's musical style.

do you know where it's from? i'd love to read it

yeah, they do sound similar, though honestly I never would have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned it, because it just sounds like another Rage riff to me. but it wouldnt surprise me, we know Tom Morello's a U2 fan, he was in GA at a Vertigo show :D

Bullet the Blue Sky always reminded me of Rage, especially the way it was played during ZooTV and Popmart. i bet morello likes that song too :D

and Reggie, I agree. Edge and Morello I think treat the guitar as more of an art form and not just a way to show off. both experiment with effects and have in fact integrated effects as an integral part of ther sound. that's why both are among my favourite guitarists :up:

Back
Top Bottom