The first U2 song where you "got it"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vertigo, was the first song I ever heard by them, I became obessive over it. :wink: Then came City of Blinding Lights, then everything else :wink:

btw, I dont really like Vertigo anymore :wink:

cm said:
Sophomore in college in late 1980. Shopping for new vinyl and saw Boy at Mother's Records in Grand Forks, ND. Remember hearing about U2 in a Rolling Stone article. Bought their only copy and I Have Followed ever since.

I was a freshmen in college 1980 and to this day, I still remember hearing I Will Follow for the first time on the radio. That guitar sound was new, fresh and was immediately unforgetable. I have always liked them but I was never a fanatic. But that all changed with ATYCLB. The song "Walk On" simply stopped me in my tracks.

That song reached me deep down into my very soul and I thought if a song could reach me so deeply, I must go back and re-examine everything this band put down on record. Which is exactly what I did. A fanatic was born. I can understand why a lot people do not think ATYCLB is one of their best albums. If they first "got U2" and came on board with JT or AB, both really great albums and masterpieces. But for me, ATYCLB ranks right up there with those two and I will always consider it to be a magnificant piece of work (masterpiece #3).

My U2 fandom went in stages really.

New Years Day on the radio is when U2 caught my attention. Then Sunday Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks on MTV was when I became a fan.

I knew they were my absolute favorite band though when Joshua Tree was released and I heard Streets for the first time. That officially sealed the deal for me as a big fan (Plus I got to see them live for the first 7 months later, if there was any doubt prior to that, there was none after).

Blue Room said:
My U2 fandom went in stages really.

New Years Day on the radio is when U2 caught my attention. Then Sunday Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks on MTV was when I became a fan.

I knew they were my absolute favorite band though when Joshua Tree was released and I heard Streets for the first time. That officially sealed the deal for me as a big fan (Plus I got to see them live for the first 7 months later, if there was any doubt prior to that, there was none after).

I kick myself for not seeing them perform live in the JT or ZooTV era (and I went to a lot of concerts back then too). I wish I did. I often ask myself, where was my head? I was paying too much attention to Pink Floyd.

I recently was able to watch an entire whole JT concert on YouTube (some guy posted a dozen or more u2 proshot shows from all different eras but his account has since been disabled). After watching that JT complete show, I know for sure my fanatism would have started back then if I had gotten to a show. It didn't kick in for me until almost 25 years later. That has to be unique among rock n roll bands.

the first u2 song i ever heard was 'beautiful day'. i guess i was 11 and it had just been released. i remember exactly where i was, who i was with and where i was going too. that song i think was a pretty appropriate song for me to really "hear" first. it opened up a new world for me to explore. i still love the moment that that song captures. after that it was 'walk on', which also captures something. i thought that this would be a good thread to post my first post on. again, very appropriate.

miracledrug83 said:

If I had to choose one other moment that sealed the deal for me it would probably be one Friday night a few weeks after buying ATYCLB. I had the house to myself and had hired out the Sydney ZOOTV video. I was watching it through the stereo with the volume WAY up, and all of a sudden Running to Stand Still segued into Streets... the red light, the intro notes echoing throughout my lounge room... this was the first time I ever got goosebumps listening to Streets (or probably any song for that matter). From this point, there was no turning back.

That is so much fun to do!!! When a band and their music gives you goosebumps, you're hooked!! And this is the band that will make you feel that many times over....enjoy!

I remember seeing Red Rocks footage and being hooked. SBS and Bono's intensity there -just really connected to his energy and that concert.

All of Unforgettable Fire and JT. Listening to them was a kind of escape for me.

Great question and thread!!!

I Will Follow in early 80s while driving home from a church social.
Gloria got me a little more curious.
NYD sealed the deal:up:

dbs

It was 1983 at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. The song---New Year's Day! I was hooked very early to this great band, and they've never let me down. My college days were a great time and every time I hear this song, it reminds me of those wonderful years.

cinnaminson said:

I think I was about 9 when Kylie Minogue came out, I totally "got" her and still think she's fabulous:reject:
it just depends on what sort of kid you were

Exactly! Not to mention, whatever virtues it's lost in the intervening years (and they are plentiful losses, to be sure), the debut of MTV launched many young children of 1981 into a fascination with and appreciation of adult music a few years before we might have got there on our own. No need to get snippy with me if Barbie dolls were still your thing at age 9...

Back
Top Bottom