The First Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macphistofreak

The Fly
I want to know how many people here are experiencing the excitement of waiting for a new U2 single and album for the first time. I'm going crazy, I really am. I have never gotten this worked up for any other band. My stomach is in knots all the time now because I'm so nervous.
And for all the people that have been around for ATYCLB and earlier, is the excitement and buzz surrounding this album the same as it was for the others? Or was it different?
:crazy: :combust:

macphistofreak said:
I want to know how many people here are experiencing the excitement of waiting for a new U2 single and album for the first time. I'm going crazy, I really am. I have never gotten this worked up for any other band. My stomach is in knots all the time now because I'm so nervous.
And for all the people that have been around for ATYCLB and earlier, is the excitement and buzz surrounding this album the same as it was for the others? Or was it different?
:crazy: :combust:

Hey, what part of Vegas are you in? I'm here for a few days. Used to live here actually, but now I'm living in LA.

Re: Re: The First Time...

SmileyGladhands said:

Hey, what part of Vegas are you in? I'm here for a few days. Used to live here actually, but now I'm living in LA.

Northeast LV, by Sunrise Mountain. It's the mountain with the Mormon temple at its base. If you know the high schools around here, I go to Eldorado.

Now, what part of LA do you live in? I used to live there!!! Now we visit family there a few times of year. Small world, isn't it?

It's about the same. I remembered that I was ecstatic after hearing the last 40 seconds of BD from the U2.com website. The first time I heard Discoteque was either online or a radio premiere: a lot of hype. It sounded so different from all of the 90's experiemental records. The 5 seconds of Vertigo is just as great.

Hey, I wasn't near this excited for ATYCLB as I am for HTDAAB. I remember disliking BD the first time I heard it. I remember disliking the verse of the song but when the chorus hit, I was hooked. At the time of ATYCLB, I wasn't part of this website or any other forum based site.

This website breeds U2 fanaticism. I blame this website for my crazy state of anticipation.

I think it's more crazy now because they are taking longer between albums. Not to mention that the band's career is in that advanced stage. You never know when they could pull the plug on us. So, anticipation for anything new gets stepped up a notch. Not to mention the fact that it's SO hard to find good music anymore. So, when the boys get together and decided to give us all something special, I get a tad bit worked up waiting for it, I must say.

Enjoy it while you can. It's a beautiful thing.

This is a cool post!

This is my 4th new U2 album. I became hooked *instantly* the very first time I heard Achtung Baby. Even though I was only 13 music hadn't yet taken root in my life. I couldn't really understand why everybody listened to such (imo) terrible music all the time- all the "popular" shit. And, most of it was just full of just stupid negativity.

Bam! I heard AB and I was born into a whole new world of music and soul. I remember the anticipation of Zooropa, and how exciting- and unexpected that was.

Pop was huge. The anticipation for Pop was megalithic for me at the time, and I loved the entire concept- album, tour and all (except the giant mirrorball lemon- never really liked that). Pop was my first "midnight" release- and it was pretty cool.

Then ATYCLB came around, and this time decided not to listen to any leaks or clips. However, once full album came out like a week early or so I burned it to CD so skipped the midnight sale. ATYCLB was a transformative experience. I saw 14 shows that tour, both before and after 9/11. At that time I had moved to Manhattan and "just got a place in NY".

Even after all that- this album has me the most excited I've ever been. I've listened to the clips, and they are amazing. We are living in a time of encredible change, opportunity, and danger. I feel that the potential message of this album may be their most relevant timely. It appears U2 are done with their grand experiments and are now totally focused on just being "u2" in all their glory. Because a u2 that has walked that extra mile, gone down the road of Zooropa and Pop, is a fully explored U2 that has the potential to unleash a level of creativity and maturity they probably wouldn't have today otherwise.

Although I try to remain rational, my intuition tells me they've really hit this one out of the ball park, and this album (especially timed with their induction into the r&r hall of fame) will cement their position as one of the greatest and most legendary acts of all time- and certainly with good reason! It's just that IMO, they need as a band, one more stellar classic album to bring them there. I hope they deliver- but then again DON'T beLIEVe THE HYPE!

Yea, good post.

This is my 2nd U2 album from the build-up. I got into U2 about 2 months before Pop was released, so I wasn't all into the hype, and I was still discovering the band.

I agree, that with ATYCLB I wasn't as pumped as I am for HTDAAB. When I first heard Beautiful Day, I was like...meh...they could have done so much better with this one. Now granted, I had just heard Pop, so I was spoiled with the 90's sound and wanted something similar. Instead I heard just "back-to-basics" U2.

As for this one, everytime I hear Vertigo, either the Oz radio promo, or the Spaniards, I get hella excited. I mean like, UBER excited. It's unbelievable how pumped I get. I'm singing the chorus to my friends, calling them and leaving vocie mails of just the chorus, or answering my cell with "Hello, hello! Well I'm at a place called vertigo."

It's pretty awesome how much of u2 dork I am. I mean, hell, I'm skipping school on Friday to hear my radio station premiere it, and then I have to wait almost 2 more months just for the album!!!

So it'll suck (2 months for an album is kind of long after the release of the first single IMHO.) But oh well, I'll survive!

I have a question about the midnight release. Where can I go to get the cd that late? The cd places in the mall will all be closed. Will they have the cd at midnight at places like WalMart and Target? Those are the only places I can think of that stay open that late. Wait, I don't think Target stays open 24 hrs like Walmart does. Where else can I go? :sad:
I guess I should have asked this first: will there be a midnight release? I know, I know, dumb question. But I have to make sure!

this is the first time ive anticipated a U2 album release. i wasnt a real big fan when atyclb was released...i only knew what was on the best of 80-90. now im all over their work and on this website longer than i sleep. the true measure of my love for their music was the indie SCAM a few weeks back, cus i never felt the rush of hearing a new single being released before, and man was i ready to hear it. this is really gettin good, and i hope the release of the album is 10 times the anticipation of 'vertigo'

macphistofreak said:
I have a question about the midnight release. Where can I go to get the cd that late? The cd places in the mall will all be closed. Will they have the cd at midnight at places like WalMart and Target? Those are the only places I can think of that stay open that late. Wait, I don't think Target stays open 24 hrs like Walmart does. Where else can I go? :sad:
I guess I should have asked this first: will there be a midnight release? I know, I know, dumb question. But I have to make sure!

Oh cool, I know right where you're at - generally speaking of course. When in Vegas, I live in the Green Valley Ranch area, but when in LA, I live in Santa Monica.

Target closes at 10pm. I hate buying music at WalMart because they edit their music. Also, on several occasions both WalMart & Target failed to stock their shelves with the product on the launch date.

By the way, you'll be hard pressed to get the single @ WalMart or Target. In Vegas, I'd recommend the WoW store on W. Sahara. When Pop & ATYCLB were released the local media listed location where you could purchase the CD at midnight.

Back
Top Bottom