The Final Verdict: Joshua Tree vs. Acthung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 words is not enough.

For me, it's Joshua Tree, and the reason is quite simple. It was the album that opened my ears to music. I hadn't an appreciation for music until 1986. Then hearing the bass of With or Without You, the slow lead into Still Haven't Found, the organic intro to Where the Streets Have No Name.......it captured me. I spent alot of time going back and forth through the California desert during that time, and I found a connection of senses between my ears, my eyes and my soul. That was it. Over. End of game. I was a U2 fan for life at that point, and was able to go back, and live forward, to appreciate all the music they've given to the world.

Without a doubt, Joshua Tree.

Achtung Baby..I think One, The Fly, So Cruel, Mysterious Ways can stand up to the best songs on Joshua..and its a stronger album all the way through as well!

Joshua Tree is great, but Bullet the Blue Sky is really jarring to the whole experience... although i think that may have been intentional and BTBS was hinting where AB was going... I am biased towards AB because it was the first album that I truly fell in love with.

Achtung, Baby. The Joshua Tree has some of U2's best known songs, but we are not looking at which album has more singles. In terms of sheer album strength, Achtung, Baby wins, in my opinion. The songs blend perfeclty into each other, and there isn't this sense that half of the album is simply buoying the singles. The Joshua Tree, though a fantastic album (and really, all this thread is doing is nitpicking between two classic works), peaks in the beginning. Perhaps the band simply should have spaced the first three songs out over the entire album, but I can't help but get an anti-climactic feeling after WOWY is finished. Those first three songs are SO great, the combination of them all together is, put simply, impossible to follow.

That's about it for me. :)

-Michael

Back
Top Bottom