The End of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bicyclingfish

The Fly
"What a night, what a city, what a show...and its all over."

I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND MOROSE, but its inevitable. The question is how- a bar-brawl gone bad, the studio sessions never ended or just "the day we just can't make music anymore"?

As time passes and things change, U2 will eventually stop being.
frown.gif

Will they suffer the fate of the Rolling Stones (who can't even get a new tour) or will they split before obscurity? Will they morph into a fulltime Dalton Brothers and take the country music scene by storm, or will Bono strike out alone and sing off into his old age?

And when it all goes down, how are you gonna react? Will it be the day that music dies or what?

As for me, I'll always listen to the band, and let Bono and the boys move me the way they do... no matter what form they take. I love these guys!
smile.gif

------------------
Come on, come on! Be good to me...

[This message has been edited by bicyclingfish (edited 10-05-2001).]

Pass the scotch...don't want to think about this yet!!!

------------------
-The Shitty Beatles? Are they any good?

-They suck!

-So it's not just a clever name...

I have my own little personal prophecy about U2... The day U2 call it quits... Adam will finally settle down... Larry will no longer have his boyish looks... The Edge will have nowhere else to hide his hair... and Bono's voice somehow fades...

damn it... that would suck... but i used to have a funnier anecdote for that thought...

*runs and hides away before the beer bottles get thrown at him for speaking such blasphemy*

We can only hope that U2 suffer the fate of the Stones. The only reason the Stones didn't tour this year is because they wanted to charge $200-$350 dollars a ticket in Stadiums and the U.S. market hit a downturn and wouldn't support it. If the Stones wanted to charge U2 ticket prices they would sell out any venue in the world.
The Stones are pushing sixty and still release new music. We could debate the quality of the music of course...

Here's hoping U2 are still writing new songs and touring when they're 55.

MP

The title of their latest album is what gets me:
It's all that U2 can't leave behind, the songs that they can't leave unsung, before they hang it up

just a thought

Album titles don't mean a thing.

WAR The end of life as we know it?

October Nearing the winter of our life?

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE The end of the world

These titles were in their early years and they still moved on. I think they are entering a more grown up stage and the music will be more beautiful!

I agree with you 100% MatthewPage. Everytime someone brings up the end of U2 someone says "I hope they dont end up like the Stones". The Rolling Stones are one of the greatest rock bands of all time. You could argue that the only greater band is the Beatles. I have seen the Stones twice in concert and these guys kick ass live. I'am not a huge Stones fan but you have to give credit where credit is due and not cut down one of the greatest bands of all time. They are the only concert I have seen that comes close to comparing to the U2 experience live.

I would agree that the Stones more recent studio work leaves something to be desired though. I think if U2 can continue to kick ass live (like the Stones) AND can continue to make great, creative music on top of it there is absolutely no reason to stop anything. In fact if they accomplish that they will probebly go down in history as one of the greatest of all time. They may anyway but that would seal it. Personally, I think U2 can and will do this. They are just having to much fun and making to great of music to quit anytime in the near future and I dont think they will until their health becomes an issue.

I'm always amazed when people try to predict "the end of U2". Doesn't anyone know that U2 will never end. U2 will keep making music until they're old and gray. They'll keep doing whatever the fuck they want!
Now as for the Stones. Saying The Stones didn't tour this year because of the economy is just wrong! The Stones didn't tour this year because that guy Mick Jagger decided to work on a solo album. He did say that the Stones are going to be getting back into the studio to work on a new album and tour within the year. The Stones still make good music. Their last album, Bridges To Babylon, was awesome! The Stones still can rock the house! They've put on some of the best shows ever! They might be old, but they've still got it!
BTW, in case you didn't know, "All That You Can't Leave Behind" are lyrics from Walk On. Perhaps that was U2's inspiration for the album title. You know, walk on, keep going, don't leave anything behind. Not, "we're breaking up!". DOH!!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Not a fun thing to think about guys! But I think that,hey, U2 has shaped and formed their destiny thus far. They've done, and continue, to "Do Things Right". My gut tells me they're in it for the LONG HAUL.......until such time comes, if it comes, that they can no longer "click" and make music. Bono LOVES the stage...it's a passion he has to perform and bring people together. Didn't you see Adam smiling on this tour? The guys were having fun. So, I think, that no matter their ages, if they can make the music, then U2 will activally continue. Granted, there may be less tours or more time between them...then again...maybe not. This is "their" life, and one that they "Seem" to be enjoying. So, let's not start thinking about the "end of U2" until there is some real reason to support the worry..................

U2 has been around for longer than some of their fans have been ALIVE!!! Why try to predict when they "end"? And whenever they do, people will still be buying their music 50 years later!!!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

Look at the Beatles.

They split up 31 years ago... yet they are still going strong.

Elvis... he's been dead almost 25 years... yet he still goes strong.

Legends last forever. Heroes never die.

I don't think they could completely stop

Bono had said they will probably not tour for 5 years, he's planning to write a book, ya know Bono he wants to try everything and always returns to music
smile.gif

Shauna xxx

I would say look for an album in early summer of next year, they'll wrap up Elevation, take a few months off and hit the studio, just like they did after they wrapped up ZooTV, cut some new songs realease them, do another tour, maybe Australia and parts of Europe or Asia, who knows. But I would think that they have the creative juices flowing in light of everything, a very successful tour, a need to move the public with their music regarding current events. I see a new album, maybe its live/studio ala Rattle and Hum, or maybe its 10 cuts spontaneously done ala Zooropa, but count these guys out just yet. I think after the next album and tour, thats the 'questionable' period. I forsee a new recording and tour. Then again anythign could happen.

------------------

Matthew Page and Blue Room,
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you about the Stones. If the day comes that a 55 year old Bono is kicking his foot in the air and the ticket stub reads "$500, section 318 row 24, BUDWEISER presents U2", I think I will have long since bowed out as an active U2 fan.

There is something to be said for a band like The Police - improve with each album, hit the top, and exit ON TOP. For how much Sting gets bashed for posing and occasionally bland music, remember in 1985 his name was not a household one...that was very brave of him to go solo (and be equally as productive). That was a bold move to not milk the cash cow The Police could have become. Very much like Peter Gabriel before him.

I'm glad U2 has stayed together and been creative for many years. I hope they continue the Zooropa/POP trend of exploring new types of music. If they try making ATYCLB part II, however, retirement should follow shortly thereafter methinks.

People have been discussing the break up of U2 since the end of the Joshua Tree tour. That was 14 years ago! U2 will still be making music and touring in 20 years. Its what they love and do best. They are also soul mates and best friends.

ATYCLB is a classic album and ATYCLB II would be great although anything they do next will have its differences just like every album they have done.
By the way, its great that the Rolling Stones are still together, but they don't sell out everywhere like Matthew Page said. In fact, in the United Kingdom, their country, U2s Attendance, Gross, and Ticket prices were higher than that for the Stones Bridges To Babylon. Other places where U2 is ahead of the Stones in Concert stats: Italy, Ireland, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Boston!

Back
Top Bottom