The "Elevation" EP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Just a thought/question out of curiosity: Do you think it would have been better if instead of releasing ATYCLB in 2000, U2 had released an EP entitled The "Elevation" EP, with the following tracklisting, not releasing another LP until Bomb? When I say better, btw, I mean in terms of the quality of U2's output, and not in terms of their commercial/critical success. In other words, would you personally have liked this better?

The "Elevation" EP

1.Elevation(Tomb Raider Mix)
2.Beautiful Day
3.Kite
4.In A Little While
5.Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
6.Summer Rain
7.Walk On(Single w/hallelujahs)

Heck no. No "Peace on Earth, or When I Look At the World"
Those are two of my favourite U2 songs ever. I think and Elevation EP would kill the band. Having six years between albums would be waayyyy to long.

No, because I prefer the album version of Walk On. And I wouldn't want to lose New York or Peace on Earth.

What's the big deal with Peace On Earth? It is quite possibly the worst song U2 have ever put on record. It is one of the extremely, microscopically few U2 songs I actually don't like. As for New York, I love the live versions, but the studio version just lacks energy and is hard to listen to because of that. I love WILATW and Wild Honey but they would be better as b-sides to this EP.

What's the big deal with Peace On Earth? Well so far everybody has said they wouldn't want that song gone. It's just a personal and emotional song that makes you long for Peace and makes you angry knowing it will probably never happen.

Everybody in this thread. If you took a poll of everyone on Interference I'm fairly certain the majority would say they didn't like the song that much. If you want a song that makes you long for peace and angry knowing it probably will never happen, I think Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet The Blue Sky, and LAPOE are much better.

I like Peace on Earth because it's one of the few U2 songs that can bring me to tears every single time I listen to it. When a song has that much power over me, I am not willing to give it up, regardless of what anybody else thinks.

sniggirb said:
Maybe I should start the Peace on Earth Appreciation thread.

I did that once. Didn't exactly take off.

And I don't like the look of that EP one bit. It needs When I Look At The World. And I'm not willing to sacrifice Grace.

I've always liked "Peace On Earth"; it's the last truly raw and direct song the B-man has written in a while (although the production takes the edge off a little). "Jesus, can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line" is a pretty powerful lyric. It's like, "Wake Up, Dead Man (Part II)." I remember it got a bit of radio-play after 9/11, and the sentiment sounded so unfortunately universal.

Anyway, I think ATYCLB was a better release than this proposed Elevation EP. There's only one mediocre track on the album, in my opinion, "Grace," and there are a lot of people that love the crap out of that one.

miss becky said:
I like Peace on Earth because it's one of the few U2 songs that can bring me to tears every single time I listen to it. When a song has that much power over me, I am not willing to give it up, regardless of what anybody else thinks.

I would agree. There is this incredible power in it. Its a very fragile song. It really is U2 at their most honest, wearing their hearts on their sleeves. The lyrics are what really did it for me. Lines like "Their lives are bigger than any big idea", "And you become a monster, So the monster will not break you" and "Hear it every Christmas time, But hope and history won't rhyme". But like I said, if you don't think the songs are a-quality then you would probably prefer an EP.

I like the mixes used in the EP as they are definatly the best versions of each song. However, two points.

1. I don't want to see When I Look At The World just fall away like that.

2. (and more importantly) 6-7 Years between U2 LP's, my ears are bleeding just with the thought of all that whinging.

I'm fine how it is.

I don't give a flip if the majority of people on here don't like Peace On Earth-- I adore the song. I can understand the song's expression of feeling small and helpless in a world that needs so much love that is abundant but is just untapped.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
The "Elevation" EP

1.Elevation(Tomb Raider Mix)
2.Beautiful Day
3.Kite
4.In A Little While
5.Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
6.Summer Rain
7.Walk On(Single w/hallelujahs)

Make it: The "Levitate" EP

1. Levitate
2. Beautiful Day - but only David Holmes Remix (with voc. of course) would have a chance
3. Kite
4. Summer Rain
5. Stuck In A Moment - acoustic
6. Walk On - single

...and the years 2000-2002 would've not been wasted soooo badly.

I'm sorry but Summer Rain is drivel.

I would have liked to see U2 do this in 2000:
this is the disc I made for myself

U2-Jubilee
1-Elevation (Tomb Raider)
2-Beautiful Day
3-Walk On
4-Levitate
5-Kite
6-Wild Honey
7-Stateless
8-New York
9-Stuck In A Moment (acoustic)
10-The Ground Beneath Her Feet
11-When I Look At The World

I didn't spend much time on the order, that's just the way I did it the particular day I made it. I knew I wanted to add a few songs and kick a few songs out. 3 songs in, 3 songs out, 2 newer versions in place of older versions. It's excellent.

New York is my favourite song off of All That You Can't Leave Behind. If anything, I think Summer Rain should have made the album and it should have been a 12-song.

Elevation EP? Nope, wouldn't work for me. IMHO I think that there isn't one song on ALYCLB that should be cut.

But I do think that ATYCLB suffers from a bad track order. Off the top of my head I think that something like this would've worked better:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Stuck In a Moment
4. When I Look At The World
5. Kite
6. Wild Honey
7. In A Little While
8. New York
9. Peace On Earth
10. Walk On
11. Grace

Me too, though I'd swap "When I Look at the World" with "New York", I don't know why...I just think "When I Look at the World" has a sort of 'near end album feel' to it, if you know what I mean?? I think I just wouldn't be used to it being in a different place...heh...

Back
Top Bottom