The Edge makes #31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isProgressive

The Fly
I'll 1st just say I'm not 1 for any kind of lists. IMO EVERY Musician has their OWN UNIQUE style and rankings, comparing often is unjustified and done only for nostalgia and debating amongst alot of fans egos. But I suppose it sells since people talk about it (including myslef, lol).

This list is from GuitarPlayer Magazine:

100 - Nile Rodgers
99 - Steve Cropper
98 - Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
97 - Deryck Whibley (Sum 41)
96 - Kelly Jones (Stereophonics)
95 - Tom Verlaine (Television)
94 - Paul Simon
93 - Richard Thompson
92 - Rivers Cuomo (Weezer)
91 - Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
90 - Peter Buck (REM)
89 - Walter Trout
88 - Johnny Ramone (Ramones)
87 - Mucky (Korn)
86 - Robbie Krieger (The Doors)
85 - Lee Gaze (Lost Prophets)
84 - Steve Howe (Yes)
83 - Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
82 - Neil Young
81 - Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
80 - Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)
79 - Tommy Emmanuel
78 - Steve Morse (Deep Purple)
77 - John McLaughlin
76 - Stuart Adamson (Big Country)
75 - Chet Atkins
74 - John Squire (Stone Roses)
73 - Django Reinhardt
72 - John Petrucci
71 - Eric Johnson
70 - Paul Gilbert
69 - Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
68 - Graham Coxon (Blur)
67 - Nuno Bettencourt
66 - Paul Weller
65 - John 5 (Marilyn Manson)
64 - Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)
63 - Head (Korn)
62 - Frank Zappa
61 - Mick Ronson (David Bowie)
60 - Paul Kossoff (Free)
59 - Robert Johnson
58 - Nick Drake
57 - Alex Lifeson (Rush)
56 - Peter Green
55 - Kerry King (Slayer)
54 - Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
53 - Daron Malakian (System Of A Down)
52 - Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
51 - Dave Baksh (Sum 41)
50 - Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
49 - Mike Einziger (Incubus)
48 - Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)
47 - Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
46 - James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers)
45 - Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
44 - Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)
43 - Tom Delonge (Blink 182 / Box Car Racer)
42 - Rory Gallagher
41 - BB King
40 - Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
39 - Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
38 - Hank Marvin (The Shadows)
37 - Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit / Eat The Day)
36 - Chuck Berry
35 - Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead)
34 - Yngwie Malmsteen
33 - Pete Townshend (The Who)
32 - Mick Thompson (Slipknot)
31 - The Edge (U2)
30 - Noodles (The Offspring)
29 - Matt Bellamy (Muse)
28 - Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
27 - Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones)
26 - John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
25 - Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
24 - George Harrison (The Beatles)
23 - Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple / Rainbow)
22 - Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
21 - Randy Rhodes (Ozzy Osbourne)
20 - Angus Young (AC/DC)
19 - Stevie Ray Vaughan
18 - Jeff Beck
17 - Gary Moore
16 - Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society / Ozzy Osbourne)
15 - Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
14 - Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
13 - Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine)
12 - James Hetfield (Metallica)
11 - Carlos Santana
10 - Steve Vai
9 - Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
8 - Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
7 - Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
6 - Joe Satriani
5 - Brian May (Queen)
4 - Slash (Guns N' Roses / Snakepit)
3 - Eric Clapton
2 - Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
1 - Jimi Hendrix
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the noted players i feel are not on here are Pat Metheny, Al Dimeola, and Steve Hackett. But o well..atleast some of the Progressive players are included..and of course The Edge :D.

That's a rather old list - I think I saw it already some time ago...... :scratch:

Thank you nevertheless. :yes:

Re: GOD SAVE THE QUEEN hey hey sha-la-la

pinkfloyd said:

wow Lara , it seems like , we have some common interests

:heart: Queen :heart:

Pm me sometime about our "common intrests" ;) :lol: :D

of course it's to be expected with any list, but i'm mad that some of the older guitarists didn't chart higher. both korn guitarists made it onto the list while lindsey buckingham only made #83? oh, and noodles isn't a better guitarist than the edge, although he does have a better name! :D

FallingStar said:
That's a rather old list - I think I saw it already some time ago...... :scratch:

Thank you nevertheless. :yes:

You might be thinking of another list. This one is in the current issue of Total Guitar. Lists like those are kind of dumb, but sometimes they can introduce you to new artists who you may not have been into before.

All I'm gonna say is that SRV should be much closer to #1 than he is. I think he's better than Clapton, musically and definitely technically. Total and complete mastery of the guitar.

Zappa only at nr. 62?
at least his protogees did better

Angus #20 - ok
but where's Malcolm?

Well I dont have anything against such list, until they lose logic.What I fail to understand on what terms, Noodle,John Frusciante and Tom Morello rated above The Edge??

Wes Borland ahead of BB King??

Its like they make this thing with attitude, lets put our fave 10 together and then we will fit the pieces.

For me The Edge would always bea great musician than say a Top 10 Guitarist:edge:

Foxxern said:
You might be thinking of another list. This one is in the current issue of Total Guitar. Lists like those are kind of dumb, but sometimes they can introduce you to new artists who you may not have been into before.
:silent: Okay, you might be right - it's just that Edge was on that other list also #31, that's why I thought it.
:wink: Stupid me. :laugh:

Richard Thompson #93?

Absurd.

Richard Thompson would scrape 85 of these guys off the bottom of his shoes. Just as one example, Mark Knopfler, a great, great guitarist, is extremely similar to, admitted to having been inspired by, and clearly inferior to, Richard Thompson.

Pete Townshend and Keith Richards in the 30s?!?! Moronic.

Kurt Cobain? You gotta be f###kin kidding. I love Kurt Cobain, I think he was great, but he was a barely competent guitarist. I can't even play, and I can play some of his stuff.

DAVE GROHL?!?! Dave Grohl is a G##damn DRUMMER!! Yeah, he plays OK guitar for the Foos. But that doesn't make him one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

George Harrison? I love George, GRHS. He was a key part of the greatest R&R group of all time. But he wasn't even nearly the best guitarist in The Beatles - Paul McCartney was.

The most memorable guitar leads in Beatles songs were played by others (Clapton, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," Lennon, "Revolution," and McCartney, "Taxman," "Back In The USSR," several others). George was great but he wasn't one of the greatest guitar players in R&R history.

And if you think Zakk Wylde is a better guitarist than The Edge, you need to have your ears sewn shut since you're obviously not using them as it is.

The top 5 in this listing, I could go for, but then it just devolves into this hair-band heavy-metal audio-masturbathon where two-chord speed-metal hacks are deified as gods while guys who can actually play are shoved way down the list.

A complete joke. It's like Beavis and Butt-head suddenly got to write articles in a guitar magazine.

Last edited:
HolyJoe914 said:
Richard Thompson #93?

Absurd.

Kurt Cobain? You gotta be f###kin kidding. I love Kurt Cobain, I think he was great, but he was a barely competent guitarist. I can't even play, and I can play some of his stuff.

If I know Guitar World
they judge by influence and impact
in that case Cobain fully deserves his spot

Well, if they're going by influence and impact, then it should be:

1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Chuck Berry
3) Keith Richards
4) Pete Townshend
5) Eric Clapton
6) Bo Diddley
7) Robert Johnson
8) Jimmy Page
9) Eddie Van Halen
10) The Edge

I agree that this list is horrible. I'm sick of seeing Kurt Cobain chart so high on these sort of lists just because people think his suicide made him a modern legend. His impact wasn't in his guitar playing at all, it was his lyrics.

Last edited:
Jimmy Page > Jimi Hendrix

I disagree with Hendrix rated #1 above Jimmy Page.

Page's career spans across about 40 years, Hendrix's spans about 4 years.

Jimmy Page is without a doubt the most influential guitarist of all time, he has played every genre/style you can imagine.

Rock
Blues
Country
Folk
Reggae!
Many acoustic numbers...

I've only ever heard Hendrix play his White Stratocaster with his disortion or wah-wah.

I'm not saying that Hendrix wasn't any good, because you'd have to be drinking some serious shit to say that, Hendrix's music kind of had the ability to tell a story, or emit a really strong mood or feeling. Thats what I reckon made him so famous.

However Jimmy Page could do the exact same thing, I don't believe there is anything Hendrix could have done that Page couldn't have done.

Hmmm well come to think of it I never saw Jimmy Page play with his teeth or the guitar between his legs, oh well.

As for Kurt Cobain @ #14 that is seriously f$%ked up.
I'd recommend Nirvana songs to someone that had just begun learning to play the guitar.

I reckon Yngwie Malmsteen deserves a higher spot, as he is just an incredibly fast lead guitarist. (ie Far Beyond the Sun)

I do agree with Tom Morello being where he is, Tom Morello is freaken UNREAL (ie solo's from Know Your Enemy, Take the Power Back, Township Rebellion etc)

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) #64 WTF!!! He should be in top 30 at least. What a world:tsk:

SLASH yes #4 is perfect for him. (Mr Brownstone solo, oh god) :shocked:

As for the Edge, I like to place him as completely separate from all these guitarists, as he is so different, in a really COOL simple way of course. Bono and The Edge are both unique.

I agree with where they placed Jonny Greenwood.

Anyway I'm rambling on (Ramble On!!! great Led Zep song)

Last edited:
HolyJoe914 said:

And if you think Zakk Wylde is a better guitarist than The Edge, you need to have your ears sewn shut since you're obviously not using them as it is.

Zakk Wylde IS a better guitar player than the Edge. A better musician, at least in my opinion, he is not.

And it's a shame Lindsey Buckingham is so low. I doubt there are that many people on this list who can play Big Love they way he did it on the Dance dvd...incredible.

Last edited:
PopTart said:
Oh dear no Ry Cooder! but I suppose it is to be expected. Does anyone know of this great guitarist - never had a really high profile, but he is wonderful

Pamela

ah yes...beautiful blues slide at its best

Also, is Robert Johnson there...?

he practically defined acoustic guitar playing as we know it!

and PinkFloyd...Edge DOES deserve to be there!!

he has created a completely different style of guitar playing that is unlike anything else out there, and which has influenced countless others.

and about Cobain
for fucks sake
the man broke the grunge scene into the mainstream

years from now, when people think of the 90s he will be the first thing to come to mind
I can assure you that!

I'm surprised that Pete Townshend is so low.
And where is Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam? If McCready is on, Stone should make it as well.

PopFly said:
I'm surprised that Pete Townshend is so low.
And where is Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam? If McCready is on, Stone should make it as well.

If I remember correctly mecready writes most of Stone's solos
As much as I LOVE PJ, I don't think their guitars are very original anyway,
i mean, neil young was playing that style of guitar LONG ago

Se7en said:

And it's a shame Lindsey Buckingham is so low. I doubt there are that many people on this list who can play Big Love they way he did it on the Dance dvd...incredible.

Damn straight.

I never agree with these lists, but I love listening to people disagree with them.

A couple of observations:
Shouldn't Les paul be on this list?
Slash at #4 is way too high.
Jeff Beck at #18 is far too low.
Both Korn guitarists were lost when their backing tapes failed when I saw them with Metallica 2 summers ago, so I might be inclined to drop them from the top 1000.
Dave Grohl doesn't belong.
Edge is in about the right area, but some ranked higher do not belong there(Richie Sambora, George Harrison for example).
I think if you ask Ozzy, he'd rank Randy Rhoads higher than Zakk Wylde.

Lara Mullen said:
5 - Brian May :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

brian may...wow, i have 17 queen cds and havent bought the rest of them because that kind of product doesnt come to honduras. but i love queen and im glad to hear some1 else does.
i absolutley love nirvana, i think im a big a nirvana fan, im especially a big kurt cobain fan but when it comes to guitar playing he wasnt ever better than the edge or all thgose other guitarists that appear below him on the list. he was a great songwriter but he was merely an ok guitarist if anything
i mean u could never make an accurate list.

i u want to hear good guitar playing download this song "rata blanca - preludio obsesivo" this guy's name is walter giardino and hes from argentina, hes very good if u play guitar this ought to be interesting i promise.

Back
Top Bottom