The Edge / John Frusciante

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurent37

Acrobat
Listening to the new RHCP record Stadium Arcadia today and I have come to the conclusion that the only real great and exciting guitar players these days are Edge and John Frusciante. They both have that same raw, less is more quality although they are very different guitar players.

There are some good players out there, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Frusciante is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard, period.
There isn't a better example of being able to show off tremendous talent + have restraint enough to be tasteful.

what about the guitar player from coldplay( he has edge written all over him)

anywho Nuno Bettencourt (guitar player from the band EXTREME)
can sweep the floor with edge and Frusciante combined!! :)

laurent37 said:
I have come to the conclusion that the only real great and exciting guitar players these days are Edge and John Frusciante.

Let me guess: you haven't heard of Steven Wilson or John Petrucci?

There are plenty of great and exciting guitar players out there, it's just that modern popular music and guitar artistry are not good friends.

What I noticed about Stadium Arcadium is that John is sound like Edge more than ever , like a song in the 2nd disc , I could swear it was a u2 tune .

shaun vox said:
what about the guitar player from coldplay( he has edge written all over him)

anywho Nuno Bettencourt (guitar player from the band EXTREME)
can sweep the floor with edge and Frusciante combined!! :)

dude that band wins for the name alone. FUCKIN' EXTREME DEWD, WOOOOOOOOO!!! :rockon:

I really need to get Stadium Arcadium. But it costs monies.

I wouldn't say they are the only "real great and exciting" guitar players out there, but they are probably some of the most exciting. But that is purely opinion.

Edge is great at what he does, but he's not technically that great.

And there are ALOT of great guitarists, just not in popular music.

shart1780 said:
Edge is great at what he does, but he's not technically that great.

I'm not trying to single you out or anything, because people say this all the time, you just happened to be one of them. I'm just curious as to why everyone says that. Just because he plays in a restrained manner doesn't mean he isn't technically proficient. I'm not saying he is the greatest guitarist to ever live, but I do think he is more "technically" talented than people give him credit for. The man has been playing for 30 years. I'm thinking he could probably solo for the rest of his life if he felt like it. I don't know how good his speed is. I can't really imagine him shredding, though with a name like The Edge he ought to :wink: but I do think he could play more than he lets on.

Someone said previously that The Edge is good at what he does. Allow me to go a step further: The Edge is the BEST at what he does. It's next to impossible to come up with a signature sound these days, but he did it. No one - including Coldplay's guitar player (who I believe to be terribly ordinary...otherwise we'd know his name) - can get away with using a guitar sound that is heavy laiden with delay, reverb, sustain, etc. without being compared to The Edge.

That said, I would not call him a "great" guitar player. The Edge is known for his sound, not his talent, although he is an incredibly talented and imaginative guitar player. When I started playing guitar I learned by listening and playng U2 songs for two reasons: 1) I loved the band, and 2) their songs are VERY easy to play, especially their earlier stuff. But that's what I think makes The Edge and U2 as a whole such an incredible band. I think it was Brian Eno who said "Bevity is the essence of wit." Couldn't agree more.

Also, John Fruscianti is so much fun to watch and listen to. Can't wait to hear the Chili Peppers's lastest offering.

Oh Hell , now this thread looks like a diminishing edges talent......

Well said, X-it 7. The Edge is very good at what he does, but he isn't a technical wizard at all. An effects wizard, yes, but not a technical wizard. U2 are a good band to start out with when you're learning guitar, provided that you've got a multieffects pedal or at least a delay pedal. But if you want to grow as a guitarist, it's important that you branch out and play other things. If you get stuck on Edge's style, you can sort of stagnate and end up sounding like a cheap carbon copy (ala John Buckland of Coldplay).

And J_NP, I really don't hear any similarity between John Frusciante and Edge on Stadium Arcadium. He has a completely different style.

GibsonGirl said:
And J_NP, I really don't hear any similarity between John Frusciante and Edge on Stadium Arcadium. He has a completely different style.

Only 1.

2 note lead on "Especially In Michigan."

I thought Edge. Simplicity of notes, rhythm type lead bit.

No, he doens't own that sound, he just uses it alot.

J_NP said:
Oh Hell , now this thread looks like a diminishing edges talent......

It's not "diminishing Edge's talent," it's stating the facts. He isn't the most technically advanced player. And even if he is capable of playing like all the guitar heroes of the past, he has given very few examples to support the notion. For the average guitar player, learning a U2 song doesn't take much time at all. The hardest song in U2's repitoire is probably the Zoo TV version of Bullet The Blue Sky, and even that's not terribly difficult. What is difficult is getting it to sound right. Edge's real talent lies in his ability to create atmosphere with his effects processors. It's nearly impossible to sound exactly like The Edge.

Did you listen the 2 discs ? Not sayin Frusc has a similar style , saying he was using some U2ish effects and colors , and some really close licks

MrBrau1 said:

Only 1.

No, he doens't own that sound, he just uses it alot.

OK, maybe slightly on that one. He's kind of got a bit of that Edgy "drone" thing going on. But the similarity is only very slight. I'd say the only time when John Frusciante has sounded like Edge is on the Don't Forget Me solo - it reminds me a bit of Acrobat.

GibsonGirl said:

It's not "diminishing Edge's talent," it's stating the facts. He isn't the most technically advanced player. And even if he is capable of playing like all the guitar heroes of the past, he has given very few examples to support the notion. For the average guitar player, learning a U2 song doesn't take much time at all. The hardest song in U2's repitoire is probably the Zoo TV version of Bullet The Blue Sky, and even that's not terribly difficult. What is difficult is getting it to sound right. Edge's real talent lies in his ability to create atmosphere with his effects processors. It's nearly impossible to sound exactly like The Edge.

Not trying to make this into a big guitar discussion , but your notion of a great guitar player is a man who writes difficult songs ? *Trys to sound disappointed as in Bonos call to White House* You mean u cant really call Edge a her coz he doesnt write difficult stuff ?

and BTW again People if this is gonna be a turn into Edge cant play Hendrix solos like discussio , please go listen some boots of LoveTown

J_NP said:

Not trying to make this into a big guitar discussion , but your notion of a great guitar player is a man who writes difficult songs ? *Trys to sound disappointed as in Bonos call to White House* You mean u cant really call Edge a her coz he doesnt write difficult stuff ?

and BTW again People if this is gonna be a turn into Edge cant play Hendrix solos like discussio , please go listen some boots of LoveTown

Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.

GibsonGirl said:

Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.

Guess u didnt hear the Last nite in Rotterdam then .... Anyway I dont wanna turn this into a bid discussion thing or like , or make a comment that may sound sexist about your last opinion and views with guitar GG but the thing is , I got this view , I think u agree that any guitar player after some good years of practice can get a guitar , and make crazy solos with it , it's just practice , practice and more practice . While many were regarded as heros in history coz they did show their skills thats good , but to me it looks like more a skill itself than a gift , which is the thing , they can do great solos but thats it , they dont have a lot left in pockets .

While Edge on the other hand , went for the non-hero type , and he shined , which is great coz , it shows that he's more complete than a lot , coz he did step into a not so known territory , but I dont think this diminished his 'tech ' skills , this thing of just coz He doesnt do often big solos , He cant do , thats just...... guess u know the word

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same last night. There are a couple of others, as well...the very end of Charlie, for example.

I think Edge and Frusciante are similar, in the sense that they're both masters of minimalism. They're kind of like abstract painters who find their niche in the margins of what's popular at the time.

This may be wrong, but I've always thought of Frusciante as an extremely talented player who has no ceiling on where he could go, but chooses to restrain--while Edge knows his limitations and has become amazingly adept at working within them to create something unique.

J_NP said:
While many were regarded as heros in history coz they did show their skills thats good , but to me it looks like more a skill itself than a gift , which is the thing , they can do great solos but thats it , they dont have a lot left in pockets .

:lol:

Are you serious? Tell that to Carlos Santana. Or Joe Satriani. Or Steve Vai. Or Eric Clapton. Or David Gilmour. Or Brian May. Believe me, those guys have "the gift." You'd need skill to replicate their riffs and solos, but you'd need more than simple skill to actually write their riffs and solos.

But anyway, this thread is about The Edge and John Frusciante. I was supposed to be done with this forum anyway, so that's the last I'll say on that.

GibsonGirl said:

I was supposed to be done with this forum anyway, so that's the last I'll say on that.

Yeah, scram! We were just about to discuss the band's favourite ice cream flavours before you intervened :angry:

Bono likes the kind where all the flavours blend into one...*cough*

Zootlesque said:
They have different styles. I like both.

Torture me. I love that style. Almost bordering on Pearl Jam. :drool:

AtomicBono said:

I'm not trying to single you out or anything, because people say this all the time, you just happened to be one of them. I'm just curious as to why everyone says that. Just because he plays in a restrained manner doesn't mean he isn't technically proficient. I'm not saying he is the greatest guitarist to ever live, but I do think he is more "technically" talented than people give him credit for. The man has been playing for 30 years. I'm thinking he could probably solo for the rest of his life if he felt like it. I don't know how good his speed is. I can't really imagine him shredding, though with a name like The Edge he ought to :wink: but I do think he could play more than he lets on.

He makes mistakes on simple parts. But then I think its Edge just being Edge and his mind floats to other places when playing sometimes thus the screw ups.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

I don't even think the guitar heroes of the past can match the technical proficiency of today's players anyways. Yesterday's virtuosos are today's hacks in terms of technical skill which is obviously why developing one's sound and good songwriting in the end wins over all. Also it helps to be the first one to hit big with what you do which fits Edge to a T.

xaviMF22 said:
Tom Morello is currently the best guitar player now.

his guitar playing is out of this world:drool: :drool:

Tom Morello is currently in a really fucking boring band right now. Every single I've heard from Audioslave's latest album is generic and terribly dull. He still does good solos though. One of their recent songs had an absolutely incredible solo that made the entire song worth it. But Audioslave is weak, which is too bad because their first album showed some promise (Shadow on the Sun :drool: ). Morello is still one of the best out there for sure, but I think he could do better.

As for Edge, I'm interested in seeing what he'll do next. He's sort of rediscovered his classic sound and the classic rock sound within the last few years, but I'm thinking he may start experimenting again. Whatever he does I'm sure I'll love it, I'd say Edge is my favourite thing about U2, much as I love Bono.

I want to say that Axver is correct. There are so many guitarists out there who get little press and are doing things that are just as amazing as the Edge, Frusciante, or Morello. However, the guitar hero is dead, as is the guitar solo thus making it harder for people to see/ hear that.

Jeff Beck. Legendary guitarist who was playing in the early 60s and influential towards Hendrix's development as a guitarist and guitar players everywhere is putting stuff out NOW such as his albums Jeff and You Had It Coming which are every bit as creative and modern as anyone or anything out there. Its just too crazy to think that Frusciante and Edge are the only ones out there that the world has to offer in terms of creative, innovative, or interesting guitar work. That is just too limited a viewpoint IMO.

I say Edge's guitar playing now is rather uninteresting
there is nothing special about it.

Again this is my opinion:|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom