The Edge Best Guitarist active in The World Again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well i think he is after All Because of you and LPOE any people agree and/or quite possibly disagree?

Edge is definitely the greatest minimalist to ever pick up the guitar and this album proves it. He's doing what he does best on this album and using a broad variety from his full bag of tricks.

And I definitely think he's the best guitarist playing today.

one of the best. everyone has their own style, so you can't really judge which one is the best. At the moment, there are few great guitarists. (Johnny Greenwod, Matt Bellamy - to name few,,,)

No, he's not the best flat out player in the world. Even Steve Vai, in my opinion, is nothing compared to Joe Satriani. People who say that Bono is the best singer ever or Edge the best guitarist are only fooling themselves.

ZigZag said:
No, he's not the best flat out player in the world. Even Steve Vai, in my opinion, is nothing compared to Joe Satriani. People who say that Bono is the best singer ever or Edge the best guitarist are only fooling themselves.

yea, NEVER say EVER!

don't know and don't matter if he's the best, but definitely my favorite

when was the edge ever the best guitarist in the world period? the great thing about u2 is that they're perfect for each other... and while edge might be the best guitarist in the world in complimenting the rest of the guys in the band, he's by no means the best in the world... period. and that's ok... the whole is greater than the parts.

tom morello, mike mccready... these guys are better technical players than the edge. but edge fits u2 better than any of those guys would... it's his signiture sound that sets him a apart, not his amazing technical ability.

What about Santana, Clapton, Chuck Berry, Jimmy Page???
I believe that Edge is the best in making easy and cool sounding music.

No I wouldn't think so. As it's been said above, none of U2 members are the "best" players of their respective instruments from a tech point of view - they complement each other to perfection and have a chemistry between them that few other bands show and that's one of the reasons why U2's great. As for top notch active guitar players there's Carlos Santana, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Vai, Brian Setzer, Robert Fripp, Joe Satriani, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Johnny Winter, Brian May, etc

I could care less if Edge is considered the "best" guitar player... the sounds he makes with the guitar sound better to my ears than any other guitar player, even if he's just playing two notes.

But yeah, All Because of You and Love and Peace Or Else... :drool: don't forget Vertigo and Miracle Drug!

For technical playing, my vote is for John Petrucci. Amazing what his fingers can do. But the Edge like many have said is perfect for U2. I think Edge is one of the best in the world. A good guitar player is not all techinical skill. I think what really makes a good guitar player is how well they blend/fit in with the rest of the band. Someone who tries to take the spotlight and stand out from the band isn't great. Edge fits in, then the songwriting is amazing. He comes up with some of the coolest stuff. There is more to guitar than how fast you can solo.

I think hes an incredible guitarist, not the best technically maybe, but because of his unique sound I think I would put him up there. Hes not the best maybe, but hes my favorite. Hendrix and Page :up: Have you heard this guitar work on "Dazed and confused?" My Lord....

Edge is obviously not the greatest active guitarist, in terms of sheer skill at playing the instrument. I personally know non-professional guitar players who could out-duel Edge at the drop of a hat. What he IS, though, is one of the greatest song-writing guitarists of all time. I'm not so sure that he's the best, but he is WAY up there. He knows how to make use of his imperfect (but clearly respectable...I'm not raggin' on him or anything) skills better than most GREAT players know how to make use of their own. For that reason, he'll always be near the top of an all-time great guitarists list...he's just not the greatest guitar PLAYER, is all.

ultraviolet7 said:
Carlos Santana, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Vai, Brian Setzer, Robert Fripp, Joe Satriani, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Johnny Winter, Brian May, etc

That's a great list you have there. Couple things: First, Carlos Santana is extremely overrated. He very rarely strays from playing the same riffs and progressions over and over. Second, that list needs to have Tim Reynolds on it. He might not be as well known as some of those other guys, but he is, without question, the most talented guitarist I've ever heard.

As far as Edge is concerned, he could easily be considered one of the best if you look at it from an artistic point of view. But from a technical standpoint, he's nowhere near the top.

uffffffffff, best guitar player? nooooo, he's surely full of ideas and sounds like a magician to me, but there are a lot of other guitarists much better than him, for instance steve vai, john petrucci, joe satriani, malmsteen and so on and so on and so on and so on. if you talk of edge being the best guitarist in his genre, than i agree totally, he's one of the few who has music running through his veins

Yea, I'll agree. Being a guitarist, I can really appreciate the different number of ways The Edge can play and the different tricks he can use rather than the usual fast fingered solo stuff.

What do you mean best active guitarist in the world AGAIN? Do you mean the Edge actually lost that title?

Bono is the best frontman of all-time, period.

Edge is the best active guitarist in the world, period.

Clayton and Mullen aren't exactly the best in their fields, maybe even far from it.

But as a band, U2 are the best ever. `Nuff said.

Cheers,

J

Now what was that article posted here a couple of years ago bout Edge being the 13th greatest guitar player of all time...?

Last edited:
TheSniper26 said:

That's a great list you have there. Couple things: First, Carlos Santana is extremely overrated. He very rarely strays from playing the same riffs and progressions over and over. Second, that list needs to have Tim Reynolds on it. He might not be as well known as some of those other guys, but he is, without question, the most talented guitarist I've ever heard.

As far as Edge is concerned, he could easily be considered one of the best if you look at it from an artistic point of view. But from a technical standpoint, he's nowhere near the top.

There are many different types of guitar playing out there, I highly recommend looking at a guy called Doyle Dykes, he is primarily a finger picker, he is well known within the guitar world.

He does an instrumental U2 medley that brings tears to the eyes, just an amazing amazing guitar player.

Check him out at doyledykes.com

Back
Top Bottom