The 'Edge Backing Vocals' Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I don't know about you, but Edge is one of the best backing vocalists I've ever heard in a band. The way he and Bono harmonize together is really a joy to listen to.

My favorite Edge backing vocals at the moment..

Please - at the end from the last chorus of 'please' onwards, all the way though 'love is big...' until the end of the song, Edge is harmonizing perfectly with his 'oh-oh OH-OH's.

Gone - Starting about halfway through the song(I think), shortly after the ''cause I'm already gone/felt that way all along' line, Edge starts doing so absolutely haunting backing vocals/quasi-shrieking, very Thome-Yorke-esge.

Edge's backing vocals on Stay are absolutely spectacular. The Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh toward the end of that song gives me chills. Or how about how Bono and Edge harmonize on Hawkmoon?

He's got a great voice and his backing vocals are just perfect and, in my opinion, another important part of the "U2 sound". His vocal harmonies in The Playboy Mansion and Streets are absolutely perfect! :drool: All of his backing vocals on Boy, October and War are awesome! Also his bvs in Zoo Station kicks ass!

i love the interaction between edge and bono at the end of north and south of the river, very brief i know, but it leaves you wanting more:drool:

His backings are awesome...especially New Years Day. He is so talented...I realise this even more when I'm trying to recreate this in my tribute band, playing guitar, keyboards and singing in quick succession!

i have always appreciated the edges vocals. especially Gone live in mexico city pop mart !!! the part where bono sings "i'm not coming down" and then edge chimes in with: "DOWN" amazing! :drool: and of course new years day is a classic example! cant forget Stay (far away so close) either.

I like his vocals in Miracle Drug..."beneath the noise..." And also at the end of OOTS, I love that part.

Which part at the end of OOTS does Edge sing?

EDIT: Nevermind :wink:

Last edited:
Sign me on to the appreciation thread. I think some people don't understand just how important the Edge's voice is to U2's sound.

Try to imagine 'Where The Street's' without Edge's harmony vocals..it's impossible.

Edge rocks. He's the only guy that can bust three part harmonies live from one set of vocal chords (Beautiful Day live).

I cant' believe nobody mentioned him taking lead vocals on "Van Diemen's Land". No offence to anybody that likes Bono (I love his singing style) but, if he had to drop out of U2 in their early stages, the Edge would make a great lead singer.

jkid said:
I cant' believe nobody mentioned him taking lead vocals on "Van Diemen's Land". No offence to anybody that likes Bono (I love his singing style) but, if he had to drop out of U2 in their early stages, the Edge would make a great lead singer.

Going a bit off topic a bit...

When I first heard Van Dieman's land, I wondered why Bono sounded so different...:reject:

jkid said:

I'm guessing nobody mentioned it cos this thread is about his backing vocals only. But I agree with you...

Van Dieman's Land...... :drool: I love love love that song. One of my favorites off of R&H.

blueeyedgirl said:
Edge is cool.

I also really like Mike Mills backing Michael Stipe. :rockon:

Oh... Mills backing Stipe is just classic! They brought it back on the song Bad Day that was released a couple of years back and I was like :drool:

Edge's backing vocals are amazing. And his solo tracks, like Van Diemen's Land and Numb, are great too. On a somewhat related note, my father (also a U2 fan) was watching Rattle & Hum the other day, and he said that Edge should be the lead singer. :laugh: While I love Edge's voice, I had to disagree with him.

the Elevation Boston DVD - "In a Little While" when Edge sings the last part"slow down my beating heart, slowly love, slowly love..." - dear lord.....:drool:

Slane DVD - "Stuck in a Moment"

"The Fly" - any of the vertigo tour shows - dork that I am - I'm singing along with The Edge during the "love/you shine like burning star/falling from the sky/tonight" coupled with the guitar solo -almost too much to take

Back
Top Bottom