The Edge and The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cask

War Child
Does anyone knows what the Edge mentioned about this song in the last Q magazine??? I dont get the magazine, but I would love to hear how the Edge feels about this great song now!! Quotes would be appreciated!

Cask said:
Does anyone knows what the Edge mentioned about this song in the last Q magazine??? I dont get the magazine, but I would love to hear how the Edge feels about this great song now!! Quotes would be appreciated!

He said something to the effect of "The Fly not standing the test time" I guess he meant it didn't have that timeless feel to it. Mabye to him it sounds dated?

Maybe the video for The Fly reminds him of his thin arms.We all know how The Edge likes to hide is physical shortcomings

ishkash said:
Maybe the video for The Fly reminds him of his thin arms.We all know how The Edge likes to hide is physical shortcomings

Nothin' wrong with these arms!

Edge.gif

can you keep your drooling to PLEBA

I'm becoming more and more perplexed with the band's attitude, I'm not very optimistc about the upcoming record

adult contemporary is what u2 strives for these days... safe in the confines of no creativity. if that isnt enough to make my blood boil, then they go and bash their 90s work. what a bunch of wankers.

and ya, keep your drooling in pleba. for shits sakes.

What is the deal with so many people calling U2 adult contemporary? I don't recall any songs on ATYCLB being of the Anita Baker, Celine Dion, Diane Warren-penned variety.
Of course U2 is not going to make albums like Boy or War or whatever anymore because that was 20 years ago and they are, shocking, adult men now!! They have wives and children and have lost parents and have seen the world and have lines around their eyes and gray hair and have the problems and viewpoints of middle-aged men, not barely-adult kids. It's sad that people want to hold the fact that U2 are aging against them, they can't help it, and I would much prefer them be honest about where they are in life and share that journey with their fans, honestly it does produce some great music.
And Bonochick posting that capture of Edge from "The Fly" video was not necessarily a swoony PLEBA girl thing (although I think it is pretty great) but just a reponse to someone else's slagging Edge's arms.

dsmith: no, u2 doesnt sound like celine dione, but that doesnt mean atyclb doesnt sound adult contempory. its very matchbox twenty with far better lyrics and singing. but its STILL atyclb.

if you dare say that stuck in a moment isnt, then you are a horrible person.

and age does not mean you have to slow down and stop being creative. most artists get better with age.

u2, imo have regressed big time. electrical storm did the trick for me, but atyclb is lame.

and if any pleba girls come here and tell me "oh but deathbear, his voice was so tender and gorgous and sweet, how cant you like it?" im gonna snap out on them, with no remorse.

and my bashing of the drooling had nothing to do with bonochick. she wasnt drooling. she posted a relevant picture to this thread. the person below her, on the other hand had nothing worthwhile to say so she gushed about "edges arms" of all things.

i will play this game all day.

Last edited:
And "Numb" and "Discoth?que" have aged better? Bah, they couldn't even get the B-sides disc right this time.

How's yer hand Fishy?

FishNeedsABicycle said:
oh but deathbear, his voice was so tender and gorgous and sweet, how cant you like it?

:lmao:

Anyway...I think "The Fly" is representive of it's time.....however, I don't think it is outdated. Maybe he was thinking in terms of "One" as being the more stand out track on the album.

I agree that they shouldn't have put remixes on the second disk. They should have put more actual B-sides (non album tracks)

but everyone puts out remix albums, next will come the unplugged album, with some catchy title like "UUnplugged"

get it, there are two 'U's, and a "Big Hits 2U" collection

Zoomerang96 said:

and age does not mean you have to slow down and stop being creative. most artists get better with age.

I completely agree and I do not think that U2 has slowed down creatively at all. This is not Paul McCartney wheeling out the same music with only slightly different lyrics over and over again, this is a group that does change it up.
If all U2 was interested in was being safe, they never would have released ATYCLB in the first place. At the time, the radio was full of either teen dance pop or rap metal, ATYCLB is as far from those two genres as you can get. I much prefer the band being out there and being completely honest with their work than trying desperately to synch up with the times and create some Linkin Park shouting record or fluffy Britney Spears thing.

Nothing has changed

When U2 released Achtung Baby it was a complete rehaul of their sound. Some of their 80's fans hated it. Then U2 did a long series of interviews where they made disparaging remarks about Rattle and Hum and much of their 80's catalogue. Many of the fans from the 80's took it personally.

Now, a decade later the same thing is happening in regards to their 90's output. Basically, U2 get bored and become hypercritical of their work and then their fans have hysterical hissy fits.

Get over it. I mean REALLY people. Over the years I've heard Bono alone slag October, Rattle and Hum, War, his vocal performance on Joshua Tree, Pop, Zooropa and Achtung Baby. Recently in Propaganda he made some mildly disparaging comments about ATYCLB. Edge has said that the only U2 albums he's really pleased with are AB and UF. In '91 Larry said he hated touring for the Joshua Tree and loved AB. In '97 Larry said he didn't like Passengers but he was really pleased with Pop. Now he says he can't listen to Pop because it's "not finished."

U2 won't be truly enthusiastic about their music again until the next album. It's usually that way.

MAP

FallingStar said:

:drool: Oh my..............

Definitely NOTHING wrong........:drool:

must not mess with PLEBA people :censored:
must not mess with PLEBA people:censored:
must not mess with PLEB...............................
must not.........................................................

ishkash said:

must not mess with PLEB...............................
must not.........................................................
:angel:

Wow, one time I write something without thinking, and more people respond to my post than usual! :lmao:

1. What is this PLEBA thing you all keep talking about, some kind of club?

2. The Fly is one of the greatest Edge-moments to ever be captured in song. And how they can think it hasn't "stood the test of time" is beyond me. Go watch the Elevation DVD and tell me that song is not a shocker live. Sure as hell sounds better on the Elevation tour than it did on ZOOTV.

3. I just said in a different post, and I will say it again:
TURN UP THE EDGE!!!

Record company pressure. There, I said it. The record company didn't want the band taking five songs from their third biggest catalog seller (after JT and Best of 1980-1990) and have it's sales slowed down. They'll let the band get away with sneaking The Fly in as a hidden track, but I just don't think that Island wanted this album to have nearly half of AB on it.

Re: Nothing has changed

Matthew_Page2000 said:
When U2 released Achtung Baby it was a complete rehaul of their sound. Some of their 80's fans hated it. Then U2 did a long series of interviews where they made disparaging remarks about Rattle and Hum and much of their 80's catalogue. Many of the fans from the 80's took it personally.

Now, a decade later the same thing is happening in regards to their 90's output. Basically, U2 get bored and become hypercritical of their work and then their fans have hysterical hissy fits.

Get over it. I mean REALLY people. Over the years I've heard Bono alone slag October, Rattle and Hum, War, his vocal performance on Joshua Tree, Pop, Zooropa and Achtung Baby. Recently in Propaganda he made some mildly disparaging comments about ATYCLB. Edge has said that the only U2 albums he's really pleased with are AB and UF. In '91 Larry said he hated touring for the Joshua Tree and loved AB. In '97 Larry said he didn't like Passengers but he was really pleased with Pop. Now he says he can't listen to Pop because it's "not finished."

U2 won't be truly enthusiastic about their music again until the next album. It's usually that way.

MAP

I don't think they're being difficult, I just think it's possible for you to have different reactions to your own work at different times in your life. I've felt pretty fortunate not to be famous because I don't have to publicly live down the moments of my life. We all think that JT is a work of genius, but what if every time Larry (and I am completely picking this out at random) hears a song from that album he doesn't hear the song but remembers that he was having a really hard time with his girlfriend, or whatever, and all that stuff comes back to him.
We make attachments to U2 songs -- a first kiss, great vacation, wedding, birth of a child, death of a loved one -- and they do as well. So for whatever reason, right now, there is something about "The Fly," whether it is musical, personal or both, that Edge is really not connecting to and he's voicing that discomfort. Fine, he is completely within his rights to do that, and he is also well within his rights to change his mind about the song because in a couple of years he could have a totally different view of that song, that time and the person that he was when he recorded the song.
We're all revisionists, any mood we're in completely alters the way we view our own history and experiences. The luxury for the majority of us is that we're not making these revelations in magazines and having kids on the Internet dissect every word we say.

Back
Top Bottom