The Edge and Euclidean path intergrals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
From salon.com today [http://www.salon.com/ent/col/marc/2002/02/11/62/index1.html]

Never Mind Bono at the World Economic Forum in New York, Here's the Edge at "The Future of Theoretical Physics and Cosmology" in Cambridge (Jan. 11)

Real Life Rock science correspondent Steve Weinstein: "The Edge was seen chatting with astrophysicist Sir Martin Rees following Rees's talk at the recent 60th birthday party for Stephen Hawking at Cambridge University. Hawking is known as the Keith Richards of theoretical physicists, and indeed remarked to one bystander that despite his recent brush with death while speeding in his new wheelchair, he 'wasn't lookin too good but [he] was feelin' real well.'

"The Edge has recently been collaborating with Hawking on a bold new idea intended to make sense of the ill-defined Euclidean path integral that plays a central role in Hawking's 'no-boundary' proposal for the initial state of the universe. Later in the evening, the U2 guitarist was spotted with cosmologist Neil Turok in the VIP 'behind Hawking' area, with a rare view of the screen on which Hawking's communications appear. The Edge reportedly needled Turok for stealing U2's 'Unforgettable Fire'' title for his recent paper with Khoury, Ovurt and Steinhardt on what they call 'The Ekpyrotic ("out of fire") Universe.'

"The evening concluded with a song to Hawking written by general relativity expert Bernard Carr, and performed by Hawking's students and The Edge (vocals, not guitar). This was the high point of the evening to that moment, but it was eclipsed by the appearance of a Marilyn Monroe impersonator and then the Can-Can Dancers, six women in 'Moulin Rouge' costumes displaying what some characterized as 'a lot of leg.'"

Originally posted by sharky:
"The Edge has recently been collaborating with Hawking on a bold new idea intended to make sense of the ill-defined Euclidean path integral that plays a central role in Hawking's 'no-boundary' proposal for the initial state of the universe.

wtf?
confused.gif
dude, my brain hurts!!

"The evening concluded with a song to Hawking written by general relativity expert Bernard Carr, and performed by Hawking's students and The Edge (vocals, not guitar).

for the first time, edge was by far the coolest guy in the band!!
wink.gif
lol... j/k!

in other scholarly U2 related news Adam Clayton will be coauthoring a book with MIT Linguist Noam Chomsky on the nature of the male-female relationship. Larry Mullen, meanwhile, has joined Harley Davidson Motor Group to help them develop a new electronic valve timing system for their next generation bikes.

------------------
Tetradic Glossary

Zipper
(A) Amplifies grip, clasp
(B) Obsolesces buttons, snaps
(C) Brings back classic, flowing robes
(D) Flips into (velcro) adhesive
The Global Village by McLuhan & Powers

Boy o boy, would he love Bishop Huggins. He definitely should attend our science, religion and philosphy festival imho. The Bishop would let him perform in the cathedral I'm sure. Great acoustics, beautiful setting. Do it edge
smile.gif
**cass develops new fantasy**Thanks sharky
btw.
I think the answer is 42.

Originally posted by Arun V:
Actually anyone with a math background knows that those euclidean path integrals are quite interesting...I wish I could out more about their work.

And then there are those of us who start breaking out in a weird rash when we see numbers. of course, that doesn't explain why I work at a financial and business newspaper but whatever.

Actually anyone with a math background knows that those euclidean path integrals are quite interesting...I wish I could out more about their work.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
in other scholarly U2 related news Adam Clayton will be coauthoring a book with MIT Linguist Noam Chomsky on the nature of the male-female relationship.

NOOOOOOO!!!! The worlds of U2 and linguistics must NOT collide!! If they were to ever meet, the universe would IMPLODE!!! Ok, so maybe just my *brain* would implode, but I still don't want to hear Noam Chomsky's name mentioned on this forum ever, ever again
icon25.gif

------------------
Feel like trash, you make me feel clean...

Drugs are garbage...just REFUSE.

Back
Top Bottom