The Edge about New album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucas007

The Fly
http://www.benjaminwagner.com/journal/edge.html
From Interview abou Cohen movie:
BW: I would be derelict of my MTV duties if I didnšt ask about progress on the next record.

The Edge: We havenšt really got to the point where wešre thinking seriously about the next record. Wešre at that wonderful place where wešre just experimenting, and trying things, just really letting our imaginations go. Itšs my favorite phase of making an album because there are no constraints, you just write and explore possibilities. Thatšs where I am now: loads of possibilities, but nothing concrete.

sound like we have to wait at least 2 years:huh:

Last edited:
As long as us U2 Concert virgins can get to go see them one day.... hopefully if they decide to do another world tour.

Please U2, do another world tour....pretty please?

Thanks for the info.

Don't fret about the possibility of not touring again. I strongly believe that U2 will stop making albums altogether if they ever decide to stop touring--and that's a long way off. Touring is the part of music that they love.

dosent the fact they are even doing stuff for the new album say something? they still have another full leg of the tour to go, yet they have started coming up with things etc

I think we are all in agreement that they are letting their imaginations go rather then letting themselves go! None of these 4 gents is doing anything NEAR that! :drool:

Dalton said:
*sigh* late 2009, early 2010 ....

This is probably the most serious/accurate time frame. Though I'm bidding on 2010.

There're going to want to to a big break after this long and tiring tour - at least 2 years vacation with family ect, and Bono's campaigning + 2 years making the album.

But in the years leading up to the album, there will be a few small performances incorporating a new song here and there. Hopefully.

Taken from an interview with Edge in Rolling Stone:

"How about plans for the next record?

Well, I've been working a lot on material during the tour, and I have a lot of ideas that I think are very promising, so I'd be trying to work on a record in early 2006, developing the material. Then we'll just see where that takes us. I've got some definite ideas."

they could be cooking up ideas while on tour, but do not expect a full album for another 3 years minium....they've been putting them out every 3 or 4 years....HTDAAB came out in 11/04, so look for something in winter of 2008 at the earliest.:mad:

^Part of me knows that's true :mad: , but part of me says that the band's clock is ticking, and 4-5 years is just too long to go between albums now :thumpsfingersondesk: .

Neenie said:

This is probably the most serious/accurate time frame. Though I'm bidding on 2010.

There're going to want to to a big break after this long and tiring tour - at least 2 years vacation with family ect, and Bono's campaigning + 2 years making the album.

But in the years leading up to the album, there will be a few small performances incorporating a new song here and there. Hopefully.

I hope you're wrong about 2010 :| What are we supposed to do in the meantime? Do we just talk about mindless drivel, other bands...the weather? :happy:

Edge strikes me as someone who is probably permanently cooking on ideas and experimenting/fiddling, so I wouldn't think the countdown begins till we start getting reliable info of the 3 or 4 of them hammering stuff out in the studio, and it's kinda 1-2 years from that point to album. I wish when it came to the music and the albums that Edge had the sole and only vote. We'd have twice as many albums and twice the level of interesting music. Mind you they probably would have sold half as many. That's why Larry gets a vote as well.

edge is awesome..... i hope the step it up.

when the thought it all up again, it only took like a year and a half or two.....

and shit it was the best album ever. i hope they think it all up again and come out with something fantastic of course.

I don't understand why everyone assumes that just because there were 4 years between ATYCLB and HTDAAB that there will be 4 years between every album from now on. 2 years between albums is pretty unlikely but I think 3 years is certainly plausible. Remember, U2 had an album ready to go in the summer of 2003 but decided that it wasn't what they wanted. Maybe this time they'll find what they're looking for quicker.

2009? 2010? That's 5-6 years after an album! U2 has never taken that long. If they really took that long they would cease to be relevant, and U2 adores being relevant. I'm putting my money on 2007, 2008 at the absolute latest.

Relevant or current? There's a difference, and I think they strive more to be current than relevant. They've had one song off each of the last two albums (Beautiful Day as a 'big single' moment and Vertigo has cultural relevence as "the iPod song") that have gotten into the psyche of the regular person, but nothing that will ever be remembered as being of any significance in any way. You will never be able to point your finger at a post-2000 U2 song and have it tell part of the story of that time to you, or be an easy reference point to music when looking back in the future. There's nothing new there not done before, or nothing done better than ever, it's all fairly middle of the road stuff done with very very high quality. Otherwise they sound like a band desperate to remain current. Slight difference. They don't want to sound like an 80's band hanging on, they want to sound like a 00's band running at full pace. I'd dearly like to see one more U2 album stand out and in decades to come still be remembered as a great album of this decade. That would be an almighty acheivement. Not just sell a shitload across three decades, but really stand out musically across three decades. We all talk about that illusive 'third masterpiece' - it takes more than just an album of singles, a hell of a lot more.

Earnie Shavers said:

You will never be able to point your finger at a post-2000 U2 song and have it tell part of the story of that time to you,

Bloody hell....could you be more patronising? Who are you to presume what is and isn't relevant to people? Who are you to say how these songs have affected people?

roy said:

Bloody hell....could you be more patronising? Who are you to presume what is and isn't relevant to people? Who are you to say how these songs have affected people?

No, no! Not talking about individuals! Of course this album may be THE most relevant album of the decade for you or many others. I just meant that in the same way The Joshua Tree is one of THE stand out albums of the 80s, critically, commercialy, culturaly and often as a marker for music of that decade, and just as Achtung Baby is often the same for the 90's, U2 thus far are lightyears away from recreating that in the 00's, even if sales remain ridiculously strong.

When ever you see anything along the lines of something like "the 20 essential albums of the 80's" 99.9% of the time The Joshua Tree will be one of the first five named. It and fucking Thriller are probably your best bets for any list like that. For the 90's, more often than not, Achtung Baby will get it's place. No way will either ATYCLB or HTDAAB ever be considered for the 00's equivalent. Not even remotely close. I'm just saying, it would be fucking cool if they could pull that off. Not just have mass sellers in each decade, but albums that leave a long lasting mark on each decade.

love_u2_adam said:
when this so called new album comes out it better not be to political:eyebrow:

Yeah, because U2's totally not a political band! :|

Earnie Shavers said:

No way will either ATYCLB or HTDAAB ever be considered for the 00's equivalent. Not even remotely close. .

I disagree. ATYCLB has been hailed by critics as U2's third masterpiece and it also became a very important album in America at least after 9/11. It became sort of a healing anthem. I think HTDAAB has better songs and it's hard to tell if it will go down in history as one of the greats but I doubt it because I don't think it has the same impact as an album as ATYCLB did and still does. But ATYCLB I can almost guaruntee will be considered an essential album of the 00's. I believe it was already on Q's Top 100 albums list (or was it 500? I think it was just 100) along with JT and AB.

AtomicBono said:

I disagree. ATYCLB has been hailed by critics as U2's third masterpiece and it also became a very important album in America at least after 9/11. It became sort of a healing anthem. I think HTDAAB has better songs and it's hard to tell if it will go down in history as one of the greats but I doubt it because I don't think it has the same impact as an album as ATYCLB did and still does. But ATYCLB I can almost guaruntee will be considered an essential album of the 00's. I believe it was already on Q's Top 100 albums list (or was it 500? I think it was just 100) along with JT and AB.

ONE critic 'hailed' ATYCLB as 'the third masterpiece' and he/she was from Rolling Stone, so it probably came in between writing a Nickelback and Britney review, in which case it is a masterpiece.

I still don't think you get what I'm saying. Joshua Tree is in that absolute definitive 80's list of amazing albums. Achtung Baby is often named alongside the OK Computers and Neverminds for the 90's. Too early for any standout 00's albums to be named, but I can't see either of U2's 00's efforts being there. They haven't created/shaped/defined anything, nor been of such ridiculous quality to absolutely stand out. It's hard for me to view ATYCLB as a post-911 healing album not being from the US, and even if it's true it is only true for that one country, otherwise I can't see any evidence of impact from those albums at all except in sales and ticket sales. For an album to gain that weight, it wouldn't be a regular feature in a Top 500 list, or just regarded as U2's third best, but would need to at least be a standard entry in Top 50 lists at worst, and you would assume higher because recent stuff tends to get overhyped (see Radiohead). I'm talking about another level above an ass kicking, high selling U2 album. I think most people would seriously ask you to take the U2 coloured shades off if you named one of those two albums as being in the greatest, most essential, defining albums of this decade. How many people do you know who can name one song off ATYCLB other than Beautiful Day? How many off Achtung or Joshua Tree?

It's not meant to be a dig at those albums, but a positive hope that something next can be truly special.

Back
Top Bottom