The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
Theres a load of guys at work that are really in to playing the guitar. Today they have been surfing the net looking at Best guitar player in the world polls and arguing amongst themselves about who is. On all the polls, The Edge is hardly recognized and when I mentioned this, they just dismissed it. None of them have ever watched live footage of him, so this really wound me up.

Im not stating that he is the best guitar player in the world, for me, no one else makes it sound so good, but I think he deserves to be recognised far far more than what he actually is.

Just my opinion anyway.

There missing out, it depends on the way they think, Edge's ears are better than any other guitarists in the world imo and watching him live well sticks him up there, but hey it's purely subjective unless you break it down into categories...........

He's not recognized on those lists because he's not a great technical player. He creates some fucking brilliant riffs and sound textures, but when it comes to technical playing ability he's not much better than the average guitarist. That's why he doesn't get placed higher on those kinds of lists.

Well if thats case he's still one of the smartest ( if not smartest ) guitarist ever if that through his brilliant use of effects, delay he more than makes up for being plainly good technically player and imo sounds better than and has influenced a whole horde of guitarists............

BTW for the sake of arguement this guy is a dick imho:wink:

You are stating so many assertions by saying Jimi Hendrix had a great deal of influence on the great guitarists of all time. When I think the guitar greats, I think of Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, and so on. The people saying this album have great have probably 1) never heard of any of these people 2) dont play guitar themselves and 3) if they do play guitar they suck hard. I could play Purple Haze after playing guitar for 3 months. Jimi Hendrix wrote crappy music. And played it even worse, he is incredibly sloppy. If you want a real cd that rocks. I would pick up "Awake" by Dream Theater, "The Divine Wings fo Tragedy" by Symphony X, "Rising Force" by Yngwie Malmsteen, "Technical Difficulties" by Racer X, and "No Boundaries" by Michael Angelo. So before you start saying Jimi is the best guitarist alive listen to any of these people ever before you listen to this garbage.

About Experience: The Best of Hendrix CD, so people have different opinions but some people are still wrong....

Last edited:
Exactly. I'm not going to go on a huge rant saying "I'm Sick and Tired blah blah blah..." (pun not intended) because I'm not that done in by it...however, I've never agreed with these "TOP 100 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME" lists etc...

Summer 2002/3 (can't remember) Total Guitar published their 100th Issue with a "Top 100" list...and as usual it was "Jimmy Page" "Clapton" and Hendrix was Number One...while he was a 'great' guitarist and did sort of revolutionise Electric Guitar, he isn't spectacular and although I don't listen to a lot of it, my brother has exposed me to a lot of guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen and those guys from Symphony X, Dream Theatre, etc...and they are nothing short of exceptional! They are the true 'greatest guitarists', and you can just hear the effort and work they put into their playing...! Metal is so bloody demanding and guitarists like Malmsteen MORE than clear the bar so to speak...i don't know how to put it into words so I'll stop there.

blahblahblah said:
Exactly. I'm not going to go on a huge rant saying "I'm Sick and Tired blah blah blah..." (pun not intended) because I'm not that done in by it...however, I've never agreed with these "TOP 100 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME" lists etc...

Summer 2002/3 (can't remember) Total Guitar published their 100th Issue with a "Top 100" list...and as usual it was "Jimmy Page" "Clapton" and Hendrix was Number One...while he was a 'great' guitarist and did sort of revolutionise Electric Guitar, he isn't spectacular and although I don't listen to a lot of it, my brother has exposed me to a lot of guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen and those guys from Symphony X, Dream Theatre, etc...and they are nothing short of exceptional! They are the true 'greatest guitarists', and you can just hear the effort and work they put into their playing...! Metal is so bloody demanding and guitarists like Malmsteen MORE than clear the bar so to speak...i don't know how to put it into words so I'll stop there.

Malmsteen should learn how to stop, it starts to sound shite therefore becoming pointless, too true about Edge being artist, Judah...... Hendrix scared Clapton, Page and Townshend into trying other things, although I respect Malmsteen for his great technical ability his influence is limited and artistry not as great as the previous names plus I think Django Reinhardt would kick his arse:wink:

plus the Edge has a byball to the last day of guitarmageddon and it's motherfuckin' called THE FLY.:wink:

Last edited:
Who honestly cares what a guitar geeks opinion of Edge is? Ever look at a "guitar geek's" cd collection? There's some shitty music for ya.

Yeah, there's more to being a great artist than being great technically. You need to put a little heart and soul into it as well. There are plenty of good technical musicians who have no soul (in the musical sense). As my singing teacher says, better to have something to say and not sing it perfectly than to sing something perfectly and have no connection. Or as some guitarists say, taking a solo is often just excessive wanking.

Judah said:
The Edge is more than just a guitar player...he's a fuckin' artist. He has amazing vision for soundscapes and he achieves them brilliantly.

Agreed. I get very annoyed when people dismiss Edge like that.

As a guitarist, I have very little faith in any of those polls, considering that in 1997 Noel Gallagher was named the 3rd best guitarist in the world. Now, I like Oasis for a bit of feelgood pubrock. But NOEL GALLAGHER, world's 3rd greatest guitarist?! I ask you.

I don't understand it. You will probably agree with me that

1. U2 is one of the most popular and critically acclaimed bands ever.

2. Edge's guitarplay is a very big part of U2's sound.

So why is Edge not more respected? Do people think U2 is all about Bono?

ZeroDude said:

I could play Purple Haze after playing guitar for 3 months. Jimi Hendrix wrote crappy music. And played it even worse, he is incredibly sloppy.

Ok, I just don't believe you. :|
I started playing classical guitar almost 6 years ago. I bought my first electrical one maybe 3 years ago. 'Til now I can play rather good, so recently I've learned Purple Haze, but it's hard to belive that anyone can play it like it should just three or few months after starting. It's not an "easy" song/solo and you surely can't play well (unless you're the new Yngwie or sth:wink: ). I know I can't. Yes, I can hit all the notes, but it doesn't sound right.

P.S. I think The Edge is far more creative in his playing then those play-as-much-notes-as-you-can guitarists. :wink:

DaveC said:
He's not recognized on those lists because he's not a great technical player.

what do you mean by "technical player"? Edge can shred and play fast riffs, thought he chooses not to most of the time. I think that he's just too different from mainstream rock/rock n' roll that people don't consider him to be a good gutiar player. I think the way he tears up power chords on Vertigo and ABOY are great because he ventures of the techniques of mainstream rock guitarists today without becoming cliche.

DaveC is correct. Guitar geeks or technique snobs are annoying as heck. I mean Malmsteen is entertaining but his soloing starts to sound the same to me after a while. Also they pick at the most annoying things. These are the types who say Joe Satriani is a sloppy player... LOL.

NamelessStreets said:
Theres a load of guys at work that are really in to playing the guitar. Today they have been surfing the net looking at Best guitar player in the world polls and arguing amongst themselves about who is. On all the polls, The Edge is hardly recognized and when I mentioned this, they just dismissed it. None of them have ever watched live footage of him, so this really wound me up.

Im not stating that he is the best guitar player in the world, for me, no one else makes it sound so good, but I think he deserves to be recognised far far more than what he actually is.

Just my opinion anyway.

People often confuse guitar showmanship and formal technique with guitar playing. There are a lot of great guitarists who can't do what Eddie Van Halen or Kirk Hammett do (or don't want to do it). Nor should they try. Johnny Marr of The Smiths is probably the most incomprehensibly gifted guitarist I've ever encountered, and he's even less appreciated by mainstream music fans than Edge is. In any event, I recall Edge once saying that he considers himself less a guitarist and more a composer who uses a guitar as his main instrument, and I think that's a fair assessment. But, at the same time, a lot of the guitarists' guitarists in the industry are huge Edge fans. In fact, when guitar acrobat Joe Satriani released Surfing With The Alien, he was quoted in more than one interview saying The Edge was his favorite guitarist.

I think its ludicrous to say that edge doesn't have any technical ability. His live solos on bullet, love is blindness, the fly, even better than the real thing are out of this world. HERE's the difference. Edge's solos aren't what most other guitar players solos are; scales played really quickly. Edge's solos are technical in a completely different manner, with his bends and his use of effects and his playfullness with notes he ocassionaly plays a really really fast riff (like bullet), but makes it sound all the more incredible. I can play a LOT of guitar, and a lot of solos, but its ten times easier to play a jimmy page solo and make it sound like it does in the song, than it is to play an edge solo and make it sound like it does in the song. i think most people don't have the patience for edge, they just want to hear self indulgent, long, fast solos. They are more filler than they are music. When the edge actually plays a solo... you know its going to mean something, and its gonna sound pretty damn good.

The_One1932 said:
I think its ludicrous to say that edge doesn't have any technical ability. His live solos on bullet, love is blindness, the fly, even better than the real thing are out of this world. HERE's the difference. Edge's solos aren't what most other guitar players solos are; scales played really quickly. Edge's solos are technical in a completely different manner, with his bends and his use of effects and his playfullness with notes he ocassionaly plays a really really fast riff (like bullet), but makes it sound all the more incredible. I can play a LOT of guitar, and a lot of solos, but its ten times easier to play a jimmy page solo and make it sound like it does in the song, than it is to play an edge solo and make it sound like it does in the song. i think most people don't have the patience for edge, they just want to hear self indulgent, long, fast solos. They are more filler than they are music. When the edge actually plays a solo... you know its going to mean something, and its gonna sound pretty damn good.

AMEN to that! Completely agree!

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Ok, I just don't believe you. :|
I started playing classical guitar almost 6 years ago. I bought my first electrical one maybe 3 years ago. 'Til now I can play rather good, so recently I've learned Purple Haze, but it's hard to belive that anyone can play it like it should just three or few months after starting. It's not an "easy" song/solo and you surely can't play well (unless you're the new Yngwie or sth:wink: ). I know I can't. Yes, I can hit all the notes, but it doesn't sound right.

P.S. I think The Edge is far more creative in his playing then those play-as-much-notes-as-you-can guitarists. :wink:

I was quoting from an review by some arse that was on Amazon, i'm an alrite player myself but no where near that sort of thing, I'm more Johnny Ramone or Noel Gallagher than coming close to that shit, lol

Edge is truly one of the great "background" lead guitarists of our time. He's more Keith Richards than Eddie Van Halen, more Johnny Marr than Alex Lifeson.

Edge finds a riff or guitar part and makes it fit the mood and feel of the song. He doesn't step out too often into the spotlight, and I don't think he really wants or needs to at this point in his career.

Yea and it's strange, I prefer Keith and Marr to Van Halen and Lifeson as well, eh what to ya know:wink:

The_One1932 said:

w0rd. Anyone who doesn't think Edge is a great technical player needs to listen to Bullet ZooTV-style. That solo is fucking brilliant. End of story.

Edge is definatley underappreciated. Of course, my main thing isn't really technical ability, it's pure beauty, which is exactly what Edge's guitar playing is. I love his understated style...whenever he DOES rip into a solo or, just plays, y'know, more than two notes at once...well, it's awesome.

Did I ever say Edge had shitty technique? No. He's a stellar fucking artist, I just don't think he can shred the way some other great artists can.

Everyone has their weaknesses. Jimmy Page's picking is so sloppy he's hitting other strings than he means to half the time. Dave Gilmour can't get his hands to move overly quickly and it's said he even had to get someone else to play the classical part on "Is There Anybody Out There?" because he couldn't get his left hand to move fast enough. That didn't stop either of them from making some of the best music ever. And Edge's lack of technical playing ability (remember now, I'm not saying he's not good, he's great - what I am saying is that he's doesn't have spectacular speed or scale knowledge or anything like that) does not mean that he is not a fucking brilliant artist - I don't think there's anyone (at least not anyone sane) who would deny it. What Edge is missing in speed and crispness he makes up for in the ability to improvise, and knowledge of what sounds good. He doesn't just go up and down a Major Added 5th Myxolydian mode for 10 minutes; he plays what he needs to and it's short, concise, and great.

And in regards to Hendrix (someone said something about him) - made crappy music? How much Hendrix have you listened to? Purple Haze and Watchtower? Anything else?

When it comes to Hendrix, it's not about the music he made during his lifetime (although I think you really need to go back and take a listen to something like Voodoo Chile, something non-mainstream). The music he made was fucking great, but it's about the fact that the man changed literally EVERYTHING about the guitar. Before Hendrix, guitars were in the back of the arrangement, playing chords, or playing surf guitar. The exception was the Who, the Stones, and some of the psychedelic bands, but at that point they weren't really doing anything major with the guitar. Surf guitar consisted of sliding double-stops back and forth for 3 minutes.

Then Hendrix comes along, and uses feedback in with the melody. He uses wah-wah. He distorts his guitar, brings it right up to the front of the mix, completely shreds a solo, improvises, throws in blues arrangements, sings while soloing, then to top it all off, he sets the fucking thing on fire, and then smashes it to pieces. That was UNHEARD-OF in 1965 (when Hey Joe came out as a single). That kind of thing was completely and totally revolutionary, not only in the showmanship of his playing and stage antics, but in the addition of effects, the use of feedback, the distortion, the blues elements...this was all new. Hendrix has had more influence on rock guitar than anybody else. Ever. Period. That is not even an item you can debate, and if you think you can, you're an idiot. Hendrix changed music. That's why he's so special. Not the songs themselves. But what the songs meant to music as a whole.

Nobody said that about Hendrix here it was on Amazon just to clear that up...............I just quoted it, pay attention people......DaveC, I agree with you 100 percent though on your points:up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom