The Concerts You've Been To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I know a fair few people here have been to more than one U2 show across a few tours, so which gig of the one's you attended was the best or at least the one you enjoyed the most? What was it about that particular show that made it so great? Overall which tour do you think stood up as the strongest?

Over to you.

Last edited:
Av seen all tours since Uf.
I would say the two best tours musically were....JT and Elevation. Prolly JT just steals it as it will go down in rock history. Obviously Zoo Tv And Popmart were better specticals..........but its about the music at the end of the day

3/92- Nassau Coliseum- ZOO TV
5/97- Giants Stadium- PopMart
6/01- MSG and Meadowlands Arena- Elevation
10/01- MSG and Meadowlands Arena-Elevation
5/05- Meadowlands Arena- Vertigo
10/05- MSG- Vertigo

I've seen them 9 times.

11-10-97 (almost exactly 10 years ago) Tampa
3-24-01-Miami (opening night!)
12-1-01 Tampa
12-2-01 Miami (probably my favorite U2 concert..and the final Elevation show)
11-13-05 Miami
11-14-05 Miami
11-16-05 Tampa

7 times for me.

6/8/97: Popmart, Franklin Field, Philadelphia
5/14/05: Vertigo, Wachovia Center, Philadelphia
10/16/05: Vertigo, Wachovia Center, Philadelphia
10/17/05: Vertigo, Wachovia Center, Philadelphia
12/9/05: Vertigo, HSBC Arena, Buffalo

So that's 5 times for me. The 10/17 Vertigo show was the best. Bruce was of course a huge surprise, but the band was incredible the whole night, and the crowd was full of so much energy.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

10/17/05: Vertigo, Wachovia Center, Philadelphia

So that's 5 times for me. The 10/17 Vertigo show was the best. Bruce was of course a huge surprise, but the band was incredible the whole night, and the crowd was full of so much energy.

:rockon:
first U2 concert for me right there.
and then the 12/9/06 show in Hawaii.

Cant wait for another philly show!

I don't want to type out all 23. Saw zootv 4 times, Popmart 5 times, Elevation 7 times, Vertigo 7 times.

My favorites were:
# 1 5.18.05 New Jersey. front row in front of edge. Ended with best version of Bad I have ever seen.
# 2 Popmart San Antonio november 1997. 2nd row by catwalk in front of Adam. Great show, right after Michael Hutchence died, real emotional. Band ironed out all the kinks of popmart by then.
# 3 Elevation Charlotte, NC. Front row in front of Bono. Not the greatest setlist, but tough to beat front row center. Could see all interactions between the band members. Really cool.
# 4 Houston, TX Elevation. Second row. Bono leaned down took my wife's hand and kissed it. Pretty cool. Great show.
# 5 Zootv Indoor Worcester, MA 3.13.92 First u2 show, and Adam's birthday. Festive atmosphere, and really cool because first time seen them. Totally exceeded all expectations. Blew me away.

1997: Popmart Rotterdam
2001: Elevation, Cologne
2001: Elevation, Arnhem
2005: Vertigo, Brussels
2005: Vertigo, Amsterdam

Uff – difficult topic, because such a thread might turn into a "What? So many shows ... How can you afford? etc.". But I try it, nevertheless, because you asked for a in depth information:
So, I've attended a real bunch of shows in different countries & continents so far, from the heydays of ZOO TV through all the tours until now, some special dates of Bono solo etc. included. My personal top 12 shows were:

1. Glasgow II, 08.08.1993
(Edge's birthday show, pure fun on stage & in the audience. Edge is forced by the other three to perform his 1987 classic "Lost Highway" – with fighting himself solo through the lines, and the others laughing. A brilliant setlist with a ton of snippets, one of the best U2 shows ever, I guess ...)

2. London II, 12.08.1993
(A political show, more meaningful than U2 have ever pretended to be in the 80ies. Sarajewo was under siege, with U2 live in the city of hell – ZOO TV between obscene voyeurism & information. Moments, where the rock show became "Zeitgeist" and everybody attending was in shock and awe. That's, what didn't give only U2 its long missed face of the missionary men back, but did really change the world a bit. Sarajewo got the attention by U2's satellite links, that was denied by the politicians. And that's why U2 played some of the best versions of "Bad" & "Bullet The Blue Sky", I've ever got to know ...)

3. Dublin II, 28.08.1993
(A celebration: ZOO TV - ZOOROPA came to an end, and the whole U2 community was home, in the heart of Dublin. A great, great concert full of atmosphere – near to perfect song versions and the last to date performances of "When Love Comes To Town" & "Ultra Violet". And what a "Light My Way" it was ...)

4. Modena, 12.09.1995
(A family party, Bono & The Edge away from the big extravaganza, semi-private, attending not as head-liners, but as guests of the Maestro and his eternal voice. The versions of "Miss Sarajewo" and "One" belong to the best music, I've heard from any artist.)

5. Tempe, 09.05.1997
(Popmart is a hard chapter for me, but this show gave a hint, where it might have headed for. A nice setlist (incl. the best & last "Do You Feel Loved"), great song versions ("With Or Without You" in all the uncertainty. And to hear "Streets" or "Found" in Arizona's desert might be enough as a reason)

6. Mannheim, 31.08.1997
(The complete crash: Heavy rain destroyed the plastic & HiTech world. Edge's guitar didn't work, keyboards didn't work. And all the anger led to one of the mst inspired gigs of the tour – away from the routing, singing T.Rex "Children Of The Revolution" )

7. Vienna II, 27.07.2001
(An astonishing crowd, an astonishing gig with U2 in playful mood: "All I Want Is You" full band electric, "The Ground Beneath Fer Feet", "Sweetest Thing" with Bono on piano – and, yes, a three piece middle of the show, that beamed you back in the early 80ies, only that the tunes were played better: "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" – played by a fan's request – "Out Of Control" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday")

8. Miami, 02.12.2001
(The end of, what has become maybe U2's most important tour. In the aftermath of 09/11 the band played a thunderous, solemn tour closer – with "In God's Country", "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", "Please" and a perfect rocking "Walk On - '40'" among the many highlights)

9. East Rutherford II, 18.05.2005
(The brilliant 1st leg at its best: "Gloria", "The Ocean", "Found" as a punk rock version played with guys from the audience, and so on and so on ...)

10. Dublin III, 27.06.2005
(The longest U2 night ever – the golden closer of their triple homecoming in "Dirty Old Town". A stellar setlist from "Stories For Boys" to '40', from "Sunday" to "Bad", from "An Cat Dubh" to "Gloria", from "Vertigo" to "Yahweh". In Europe only Amsterdam III played in the same league as this concert, but obviously on spot #2 ...)

11. Melbourne, 18.11.2006
(The first of two brilliant shows, that closed the Australian leg. Perfect voice, perfect band. "Stuck" better than ever, "Streets" incredible, only topped by one of the most beautiful "With Or Without You" ever ...)

12. Auckland, 25.11.2006
(Full circle, I guess: The whole gig was full of great song versions and setlist surprises. Beautiful as it is the country and its people. Three words: "One Tree Hill")

... anybody here, wanting to tell about personal experiences & impressions from the 80ies' gigs, by the way? How did they stand the test of time in your memory?

Last edited:
2001: Elevation, Phoenix Arizona
2006: Vertigo, Adelaide
2006: Vertigo, Melbourne x 2

The second Melbourne show definitely stands out to me, the whole day in fact. I met and chatted with some cool fellow U2 fans while sitting for hours in the queue, and had a great spot near one of the mini-stages. From the technical point of view, the previous two Vertigo shows were probably better, but on the second Melbourne night they did "The First Time", which was a total surprise, played "Until the End of the World", and then threw in "Bad" at the very last moment after they've already played the second encore. The band just looked really happy and smiled a lot and gave an impression they were on a holiday. And Edge had a hilarious where-am-I moment when, at the end of the night, he said 'Thanks Sydney', :)

01 Amsterdam 12-18-89
( The famous Bono lost his voice show , but what a show for me )

02 Rotterdam 01-10-90
( nuff said , best show I`ve ever seen in my life )

03 Rotterdam 06-15-92
( superb show )

04 Rotterdam 05-09-93
( 1st time Mac Phisto ever , and what a suprise it was )

05 Rotterdam 05-10-93
( Bono`s birthday party , and a party it was )

06 Rotterdam 05-11-93
( great hangover show )

07 Nijmegen 08-03-93
( Zoo-Tv in a park , Stay that night was awesome )

08 Rotterdam 07-18-97
( one of the best Popmart shows , Bono voice was superb that night )

09 Rotterdam 07-19-97
( great show but not as good as the previous night )

10 Hanover 08-20-97
( my only foreign U2 show , great show it was )

11 Arhem 07-31-07
( great show , like it a lot especially since Pride was not played )

12 Arnhem 08-01-01
( good show , Out Of Control after Walk On was a great suprise )

13 Arhem 08-03-01
( another great show )

14 Amsterdam 07-13-05
( good show )

15 Amsterdam 07-15-05
( another good show , last time RTS was played so far )

16 Amsterdam 07-16-05
( super show , Wild Horses full band , M.Sarajevo premiere and Species full band )

Those were the shows I attended.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Wow, its amazing how many classic shows the band have performed in Rotterdam. Time and time again throughout their entire career the gigs there have been so special. Its almost uncanny, the band seem to gel, Bono's voice in excellent condition, and the performances are so exciting.

Special mention goes out to 10th January 90: That long version of Bad :drool:

Popmart 97: Incredible nights. The tour hadn't really been working up until this point, Bono's voice out of order, under-rehearsed performances, but for some reason everything worked for those two nights IMO. Everything seemed to go off exactly right. Just watch the Mexico DVD extras, Please-Streets
:drool:

DevilsShoes said:
Special mention goes out to 10th January 90: That long version of Bad :drool:

Popmart 97: Incredible nights. The tour hadn't really been working up until this point, Bono's voice out of order, under-rehearsed performances, but for some reason everything worked for those two nights IMO. Everything seemed to go off exactly right. Just watch the Mexico DVD extras, Please-Streets
:drool:

Yeah...DevilsShoes Bad from 01-10-90 is just :drool:
The whole show was just:drool: :drool: :drool:
I feel so fortunate to have attended this show.

As for Popmart Rotterdam , Bono voice was so good.
At the time I had a few 1st leg boot-cd`s and I was amazed how much better he sounded in Rotterdam when I attended the shows.

Please from 07-18-97 is one of the best of the Popmart tour.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

DevilsShoes said:
Wow, its amazing how many classic shows the band have performed in Rotterdam. Time and time again throughout their entire career the gigs there have been so special. Its almost uncanny, the band seem to gel, Bono's voice in excellent condition, and the performances are so exciting.

It would be great to live in Rotterdam and be a U2 fan, they're the luckiest U2 fans. It's the capital city of U2 concerts.

U2lunatic said:

It would be great to live in Rotterdam and be a U2 fan, they're the luckiest U2 fans. It's the capital city of U2 concerts.

:yes: They really are the luckiest, download virtually any Rotterdam bootleg and you know you're in for something awesome.

Long-time fan, but my first show was during the Elevation tour, 10-10-01 at the Joyce Center at Notre Dame in northern Indiana.

05-09-05 Vertigo, Chicago, United Center
09-20-05 Vertigo, Chicago, United Center

I can't quite identify why, but the Notre Dame show is my favorite of the three. Perhaps because it was such a passionate time: less than a month after 9/11, a couple months after Bono's dad passed, three months after my Mom passed (hence my love of the lyrics of "Walk On"). That show was something of a religious experience!

Joshua Tree May 1987--Meadowlands. My first U2 concert and I was completely blown away. Way before the days of online ticket sales, my friend actually stood on line at a ticketmaster to buy pretty good, fairly cheap tickets (we were poor college students and could still afford them!)

ZooTV Outside Broadcast, August 1992--Yankee Stadium. Very different concert compared to above. But still really fun! We had nosebleed seats--thank god for binoculars and the big screens they had set up.

Vertigo, October 14, 2005--MSG. Hands down the best concert I have ever been to!

Its tough to just pick certain shows. I have seen U2 about 38 times since 1987.

Best shows I have seen that jump out at me right away are:

October 30, 1987 Chicago, had the worst seats on the planet but I was still blown away. Great show, they celebrated Larry's birthday early. This was my first show so it always stands out to me.

September 9, 1992 Pontiac, was right up front, MTV satellite hook up and they played one of my favorites from Achtung Baby "So Cruel" (at least Bono did) all the way through, one of the few times it was ever done. Great show and performance.

June 29, 1997 Chicago, just an outstanding show, great end to three nights in a row. Great atmosphere in the venue and the band thrived on it.

May 15, 2001 Chicago, debut of 11 O'Clock and Out of Control on the tour. Just a great performance, way better than the next night IMO. I think that one gets overhyped because of its setlist. This performance was much more solid though to me.

October 25, 2005 Detroit, fantastic setlist and peformance. Best show I saw of the Vertigo tour.

Just three:

Popmart Sydney - Memorable for the unique atmosphere more than anything. At the end of the show, a large electrical storm rolled in right over the stadium and for One Bono had the Popmart screen and all the lights in the stadium turned off. The band had the faintest of spotlights on them so they could see what they were doing, but otherwise it was pitch black all around aside from the odd lighter or green exit sign. They played one of those really quiet versions of One, the crowd singing along in full voice, punctuated by the occasional flash and crack of nearby lightning, or boom of thunder. The fact that this came straight after MLK being dedicated to Michael Hutchence, who had died in Sydney only 4 months previous, and Bono being out on the end of the runway singing MLK to him when the storm struck and rain started pouring over the crowd, was more than a little weird. I don't think there was a dry eye in the place, including Bono who stopped for a while during MLK when the rain hit - just one of those moments. After One there were no goodbyes from the band. The screen stayed off, the lights stayed down, and INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart" came on over the speakers. About halfway through the houselights came back up and everyone just stood where they were singing along. Really cool.

Vertigo Sydney 1 & Vertigo Sydney 3 - Overall the 3rd show was way better than the 1st, particularly the encores where Edge seemed to just go bezerk. Running around the stage, jumping up on the drum kit rise. Blistering Mysterious Ways in particular. Real party atmosphere at the end. The highlight though was probably the roar of the crowd when the lights flicked off at Sydney 1 halfway through Wake Up - just a couple of months shy of 10 full years since U2 had played Sydney. It was Really. Fucking. Loud.

May 24 1997, Columbus
May 7, 2001, Columbus
May 10, 2001, Indianapolis
October 10, 2001, Notre Dame
May 7, 2005, Chicago
October 22, 2005, Pittsburgh
October 25, 2005, Detroit

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Uff – difficult topic, because such a thread might turn into a "What? So many shows ... How can you afford? etc.".
No, these kinds of threads NEVER go off-topic or descend into name-calling! :no:

:corn:

Feb 11, 98 - POPMART SANTIAGO... do I need to say more?

plus

Feb 26, 2006, Vertigo Santiago Chile
Mar 1, 2006, Vertigo Buenos Aires Argentina 1
Mar 2, 2006, Vertigo Buenos Aires Argentina 2

and, if things go by plan, the next stop is either WEMBLEY or the FIRST SHOW of the next tour, wherever it is... plus Santiago and Buenos Aires again :wink:

I think my favorite was ZOO TV Outside Broadcast, because I had a seat in a football stadium way up in almost the last row and I got upgraded to the floor by a U2 guy. I think it might have been Dennis Sheehan, I believe he was working with them even way back then (and he was very nice). I had no idea they even did that and it was such a lucky thing.

My first ever U2 concert was pretty special too. I don't know how people remember the dates, I can't.

Back
Top Bottom