The Chicago DVD Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last three songs + Running to stand still are Hamish Hamilton's best directing work on their DVDs.
And unlike other shows he did with them this is a more fair direction and not 90% Bono up close plus some interesting angles like behind Larry's back and camera above the stage.

Last edited:
The drums did suck, the crowd was awful and Bono was not in the best mood (what went wrong with that Elevation performance? - this was especially controversial since the much better May 10th performance was aired on Good Morning America), but... I would definitely take this DVD over the Milan one. Because of An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Running To Stand Still, 40, The Cry, Mysterious Ways, City of Blinding Lights as the opener...

And it did feature fabulous performances of The Electric Co., Love and Peace or Else, The Fly and Zoo Station (despite of the horrible drum mix). Overall a show that I like even better than Boston or Slane. I find it unnecesarrily bashed on this forum.

I dont think its any better or worse than any of their other DVD's to me.

The crowd did not suck, I'm tired of seeing that everywhere. The crowd was fine. It just wasnt captured on film, to which I do blame Hamish's direction.

It definately does not deserve the trashing it gets by so many here. But its part of the U2 diehard fan persona. Hyper critical about most aspects of the band. Its just the way it is, sometimes its unfortunate. :shrug:

one of the worst audios really. The fly was terrible compared to the amazement of the song here in Australia.
The only songs i liked was RTSS was sung beautifully and OOTS as i really wanted to hear it, and thought it sounded awesome.

I could care less about the boy songs as they all bore me, so not a plus in my book :wink:

i just can't WAIT till the release the IMAX version!

Yeah, bring on the IMAX film! :hyper:

I've only watched the Chicago DVD once, and I wasn't paying 100% attention... I remember thinking that the sound was pretty good, at least insofar as it was LOUD on my cheap crappy little mono TV. I wasn't analysing the drums in the mix, I confess.

We didn't get Electric Co. or Gloria... :( I must watch it again...

kennerado said:
Filming a first leg show is STUPID STUPID STUPID. Plus, Hamish "fastest angle change in the west" Hamilton SUCKS as a director. This DVD is crap, end of story.
Exactly, if they would have filmed the september Chicago stuff we would have gotten a much better video.

In the first leg the guys need to get into the whole thing again.

I still think they should have released the WHOLE Milan show as a proper DVD, that would have been a great one.
Anyway, I like the Chicago DVD, but I agree that they should have filmed a show from a later leg of the tour.

I can't honestly believe anyone who says the audio sucks did watch it at least once with a Home Theather

It's amazing last dvds , we couldn't hear a thing from Bono's guitar , this one we can , now people come to complain about Fly , I almost seeing Bono's sound ruins it all ........

:eyebrow: All I can say it's a lots of bullshit

Back
Top Bottom