The Challenge - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2002, 04:07 PM   #41
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Miss Sarajevo, the beginning always sounds like static, like something coming to you from far away, or for some reason I always get an image of a cold, cold Christmas with sleet coming down, probably because of the lyrics later in the song and the fact that the static sounds just like sleet hitting pavement. And then later, Pavaratti just puts me in a trance, there is nothing like the voice of a tenor..
The quietness in that song is haunting and it never fails to make me still. It's one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard live, in that recording from the concert at Sarajevo.

(sorry, that's more than just one part so I think i failed at the task!!)

great thread, Scatter! hope to see you around sometime soon.

Old 10-07-2002, 03:48 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:21 PM
well in an effort to follow the rules and choose one that hasnt been chosen.

(Summer of 1993)- while being a U2 fan back in '87 with JT and later with Rattle and Hum, I must say I was young and went through a period between 88-91 where I was listening to some very hard music, then Achtung came out and sort of reintroduced me to this band I fell into love with when I was 12. I think I spent the entire year of 1992 falling back in love with powerful, emotional music and U2, for that matter.

Then there was the rambling in May/June of 1993 about a new EP the band was going to release. I can't tell you the anticipation I had in words, it was incredible. Then I hear that it turned into a full blown LP with 10 songs and had Johnny Cash singing on it. WOW. I had heard Numb on the radio one day out of the blue, and I totally flipped when I realized this was Edge singing.

Back in the days before internet and mp3 destroyed much of what makes a new release by a fav artist seem so special, this was the heigth of anticipation for me. The first new release by my favorite band after falling back into love with them.

About 3 or 4 days before it was to be released, July of 1993, the local mainstream rock station here played it on their so called "Alternative" show at midnight.

After all that anticipation, and after only hearing Numb, I was floored by that album.

But mostly that piano on the intro and the subsequent "and I have no compass, and I have no map" part, forever has changed the way I listen to that song. And while U2 have better songs this song will always remain close to me, especially in a very volatile time of my life.

So I'll go with Zooropa (the title track, mainly the intro). Mostly because the "new media" has destoyed any anticipation of any new music, because I don't have the willpower NOT to download new stuff

Currently, I am fighting off downloading Pearl Jam's Riot Act, I'm doing well so far. Sorry for the long winded post.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Right now the part of ES that's in my sig..
Old 10-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 08:21 PM
I'll have to go with the part in Like A Song that goes:

Too set in our ways to try to rearrange
Too right to be wrong, in this rebel song!!!
Let the bells ring out....

It just sounds so angry and frustrated, and yet he wants to do something other than just point out the mistakes that are being made. It always clicked with me.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:05 PM   #45
War Child

Local Time: 04:21 AM
There are so many!

- intro of streets (maybe the best thing they've ever done...)
- gone ("I'll be up with the sun..., ANDNOTCOMINGDOWN")
- hold me thrill me kiss me kill me (All of Edge's guitar work...)
- elevation (guitars)
- all the live versions of bullet the blue sky (zootv, popmart, elevation)
- mysterious ways live zootv ("move my spirit heal me move my spirit teach me... she moves it ...")
- last night on earth popmart (bono & edge) ("you gotta give it away, you gotta give it away, you gotta give it a-way-ay-ay-ay")
- the fly on the elevation tour
- the first guitar riffs & larry's drums on zoo station (live)
- sunday bloody sunday (elevation tour version)
- until the end of the world (bono fighting with edge)
Old 10-09-2002, 05:22 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 03:21 AM
oooh the hallelujah bit on the end of Running To Stand Still in the Zoo shows....with the harmonica at the end and all the smoke.....I love that! Makes me come over all funny.....
Old 10-09-2002, 06:15 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 10:21 PM
someone already picked my favorite part.

gone (live...and hopefully the remixed version on best of...)when bono and edge are singing the part

"i'll be up with the sun and i'm not coming down"

edge sounds so amzazing doing the background vocals. gives me chills.

and in mysterious ways..

to touch is to heal
to hurt is to steal
if you want to kiss the sky
better learn how to kneal
on your knees boy!

and the intro to zoo station....it rocks!
Old 10-09-2002, 11:15 PM   #48
Babyface

"I kissed your lips and broke your heart", from Until the End of the World - I just love how he sounds like he's totally building up to something really spectacular, and really hooks you into the rest of the song.

Or the crazy guitar riff from Love is Blindness...It's like liquid romance...

*Red
Old 10-11-2002, 12:11 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:21 AM

It's got to be the intro to Streets.

I've listened to that song thousands of times in the past 10 years or so. I get chills EVERY time. I can't think of a greater example of musical perfection

-Mike
Old 10-11-2002, 12:28 AM   #50
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Start of Zoo Station - its a knockout! Larry's drumming and then Bono slowly comong in could play it over and over!!

Pamela
Old 10-12-2002, 05:11 AM   #51
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
Great idea! The best part of "One," for me, is this:

Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

It's just so incredibly powerful. Whenever I listen to it, it's like all these emotions that have built up inside me, whether good or bad, can be released. I'm free! Free to cry, free to laugh, free to...anything!
Just reading the lyrics gave me goose bumps! The words a very powerful. I just don't know how they do it...
Old 10-12-2002, 02:55 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can't remember if anyone has chosen "Acrobat" yet, but my favorite part of that song is Edge's guitar part after the line "No new ideas in the house and every book has been read."
Old 10-14-2002, 04:06 PM   #53
The Fly

The last lines of One Tree Hill.

Most of Summer Rain and Always.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:27 PM   #54
The Fly

I would have to say The intro to Elevation right before they took the stage on the last tour. WOW! That first opening sound. Then Adam's Bass with the Larry's symbol Sooouuuulll!

A lot of NFL football stadiums are playing Start Me Up or Crazy Train before a kickoff to get the crowd going...there is no other song out there that would get a croud going than that Intro! So come on Stadium sound directors where are you at!!!!

Also the Start of WILATW when the whole band comes in before Bono...and the outro guitar part of WOWY.