The Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From one of my favorite U2 songs (for personal reasons):

After what I think is a killer intro...

We crossed the line
Who pushed you over?
It doesn't matter to you
It matters to me.

Twist&TurnAway said:
From one of my favorite U2 songs (for personal reasons):

After what I think is a killer intro...

We crossed the line
Who pushed you over?
It doesn't matter to you
It matters to me.

Yep (I love that song, too-probably not for the same reasons you like it, but eh, oh, well).

Here's a few more to add to this thread:

From "Running To Stand Still"-

She will suffer the needle chill
She's running to stand still

and from "Trip Through Your Wires"-

Angel
Angel or devil
I was thirsty
And you wet my lips

You
I'm waiting for you
You, you set my desire
I trip through your wires

and then the whole "All I need" thing.

God, I love those songs. Two of my personal favorites from "The Joshua Tree".

And one more:

Angel in the devil's shoes
Salvation in the blues
You never looked like an angel
Yeah, yeah
Angel of Harlem

Every time that part comes up in that song, I just belt it out along with Bono. :). I absolutely love that song, too.

Angela

Try NewMedia. I know most people have it.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Wow...that sounds amazing just from your description.

Where can I find this version of the song, if it's possible? I want to hear that.

Angela

It's relatively easy to find. WinMx, Kazaa, etc. Just type in One. It's the only live version with a full orchestral, I believe.
It may be listed under: One (Full orchestral version), or One (The awesome version)--that's how I find out about it, or it may list Pavarotti (Bono, Edge, Pavarotti)....I don't know all the details about the Pavarotti thing. It could be listed under One - The Warchild version. Anyway, trust me. Download it.

Oh, and if it helps, it's about 5:06 in length. Let me know what you think.

Re: Try <a href=http://newmedia.interference.com/download/u2newmedia2.exe>NewMedia</a>.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

It's relatively easy to find. WinMx, Kazaa, etc. Just type in One. It's the only live version with a full orchestral, I believe.
It may be listed under: One (Full orchestral version), or One (The awesome version)--that's how I find out about it, or it may list Pavarotti (Bono, Edge, Pavarotti)....I don't know all the details about the Pavarotti thing. It could be listed under One - The Warchild version. Anyway, trust me. Download it.

Oh, and if it helps, it's about 5:06 in length. Let me know what you think.

Okay. Thanks. I'll go look for it.

Angela

I love MOFO from Mexico City too (Hasta La Vista, Baby version)...

Mexico mofo
Mexicofo
Mexico
Mofo, mofo
Mofo, mofo
Shine, oh yeah, alright here it comes
Mofo, mofo
Kiss it up

Lookin' for to save my, save my soul
I'm lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
I'm lookin' for to fill that God-shaped hole
Mother, mother suckin' rock and roll
Mother poppin' sugar shoppin' rock and roll

Holy dunk, space junk comin' in for the splash
Been around back, been around front
White dopes on punk staring into the flash
Lookin' for my baby Jesus under the trash
Mother, mother suckin' rock and roll
Mother poppin' sugar shoppin' rock and roll

Mother, am I still your son
You know I've waited for so long to hear you say so
Mother, you left and made me someone
Now I'm still a child, but no one tells me no
Tell me no, tell me no
No, no, no, no, no

I'm looking for a sound to drown out the world
I'm looking for the father of my two little girls
Soothe me sister
Move me brother
Soothe me sister
Move me brother
Move me a mountain
Move me a mountain
Move me a mountain
Move me a mountain
Move me a mountain, love
_____
Its such a hard core song but that ending is so great. The lyrics are just amazing and I think this is an AMAZING performance of the song.

Oh, another one I love is any live version of Threw A Brick. Larry's drums are amazing this song...

He just just booms in and then you get "I was talking, I was talking to myself,
somebody else, talk, talk, talking.
I couldn't hear a word, a word he said.
He was my brother, I said there was no other,
other way out of here, be my brother,
Got to get out, got to get out,
(Got to get out of here)"

And I just love Edge's echo background vocals on "Brother" in this song.

Its just great when they go into "Day W/o Me" too.

:yes:

I totally dig when the bass entered into Elevation and I cannot agree more with the quote from "One Tree Hill".

It's a repeat, but I love the lyric from "Walk On" ending with "only fly for freedom".

spittingkitty said:

I love the lyric from "Walk On" ending with "only fly for freedom".

Oh yeah!

and might I add....

from ASOH:

"Oooh....ooohh....oooohh...on borderland we ruuuuuunnnnn!
I'll be there, I'll be there...tonight"

*chills*

Miss Sarajevo, the beginning always sounds like static, like something coming to you from far away, or for some reason I always get an image of a cold, cold Christmas with sleet coming down, probably because of the lyrics later in the song and the fact that the static sounds just like sleet hitting pavement. And then later, Pavaratti just puts me in a trance, there is nothing like the voice of a tenor..
The quietness in that song is haunting and it never fails to make me still. It's one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard live, in that recording from the concert at Sarajevo.

(sorry, that's more than just one part so I think i failed at the task!!)

great thread, Scatter! hope to see you around sometime soon.

well in an effort to follow the rules and choose one that hasnt been chosen.

(Summer of 1993)- while being a U2 fan back in '87 with JT and later with Rattle and Hum, I must say I was young and went through a period between 88-91 where I was listening to some very hard music, then Achtung came out and sort of reintroduced me to this band I fell into love with when I was 12. I think I spent the entire year of 1992 falling back in love with powerful, emotional music and U2, for that matter.

Then there was the rambling in May/June of 1993 about a new EP the band was going to release. I can't tell you the anticipation I had in words, it was incredible. Then I hear that it turned into a full blown LP with 10 songs and had Johnny Cash singing on it. WOW. I had heard Numb on the radio one day out of the blue, and I totally flipped when I realized this was Edge singing.

Back in the days before internet and mp3 destroyed much of what makes a new release by a fav artist seem so special, this was the heigth of anticipation for me. The first new release by my favorite band after falling back into love with them.

About 3 or 4 days before it was to be released, July of 1993, the local mainstream rock station here played it on their so called "Alternative" show at midnight.

After all that anticipation, and after only hearing Numb, I was floored by that album.

But mostly that piano on the intro and the subsequent "and I have no compass, and I have no map" part, forever has changed the way I listen to that song. And while U2 have better songs this song will always remain close to me, especially in a very volatile time of my life.

So I'll go with Zooropa (the title track, mainly the intro). Mostly because the "new media" has destoyed any anticipation of any new music, because I don't have the willpower NOT to download new stuff :)

Currently, I am fighting off downloading Pearl Jam's Riot Act, I'm doing well so far. Sorry for the long winded post.

I'll have to go with the part in Like A Song that goes:

Too set in our ways to try to rearrange
Too right to be wrong, in this rebel song!!!
Let the bells ring out....

It just sounds so angry and frustrated, and yet he wants to do something other than just point out the mistakes that are being made. It always clicked with me.

There are so many!

- intro of streets (maybe the best thing they've ever done...)
- gone ("I'll be up with the sun..., ANDNOTCOMINGDOWN")
- hold me thrill me kiss me kill me (All of Edge's guitar work...)
- elevation (guitars)
- all the live versions of bullet the blue sky (zootv, popmart, elevation)
- mysterious ways live zootv ("move my spirit heal me move my spirit teach me... she moves it ...")
- last night on earth popmart (bono & edge) ("you gotta give it away, you gotta give it away, you gotta give it a-way-ay-ay-ay")
- the fly on the elevation tour
- the first guitar riffs & larry's drums on zoo station (live)
- sunday bloody sunday (elevation tour version)
- until the end of the world (bono fighting with edge)

someone already picked my favorite part.

gone (live...and hopefully the remixed version on best of...)when bono and edge are singing the part

"i'll be up with the sun and i'm not coming down"

edge sounds so amzazing doing the background vocals. gives me chills.

and in mysterious ways..

to touch is to heal
to hurt is to steal
if you want to kiss the sky
better learn how to kneal
on your knees boy!

and the intro to zoo station....it rocks!

"I kissed your lips and broke your heart", from Until the End of the World - I just love how he sounds like he's totally building up to something really spectacular, and really hooks you into the rest of the song.

Or the crazy guitar riff from Love is Blindness...It's like liquid romance...

*Red

It's got to be the intro to Streets.

I've listened to that song thousands of times in the past 10 years or so. I get chills EVERY time. I can't think of a greater example of musical perfection

-Mike

wertsie said:
:up: Great idea! The best part of "One," for me, is this:

Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

It's just so incredibly powerful. Whenever I listen to it, it's like all these emotions that have built up inside me, whether good or bad, can be released. I'm free! Free to cry, free to laugh, free to...anything!

Just reading the lyrics gave me goose bumps! The words a very powerful. I just don't know how they do it...

I can't remember if anyone has chosen "Acrobat" yet, but my favorite part of that song is Edge's guitar part after the line "No new ideas in the house and every book has been read."

I would have to say The intro to Elevation right before they took the stage on the last tour. WOW! That first opening sound. Then Adam's Bass with the Larry's symbol Sooouuuulll!

A lot of NFL football stadiums are playing Start Me Up or Crazy Train before a kickoff to get the crowd going...there is no other song out there that would get a croud going than that Intro! So come on Stadium sound directors where are you at!!!!

Also the Start of WILATW when the whole band comes in before Bono...and the outro guitar part of WOWY.

Back
Top Bottom