The Bono appreciation thread (From Live Aid to SNL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
I was so eagerly anticipating the release of the Live Aid DVD to see U2's performance and finally purchased it Saturday afternoon. So often I have listened to the less-than-optimal mp3s of their performance but to finally see the video in high quality is just amazing.

It is so great to see Bono exude the passion and energy that he did that day, especially when we know, in retrospect, that the Live Aid event would subsequently change his entire life and he would devote so much of his time to Africa. You can really tell the event actually meant something to him and he desparately wanted to connect with the crowd. Also, wonderful to see so many U2 flags waving in the crowd...just a beautiful sight.

Then, to see them again on stage on SNL saturday night, I am truly amazed that even nearly 20 years later, he is still doing the same thing, going above and beyond the stage, always trying to win over a crowd like it is their first gig. It may be a different time, a different venue, and for a different cause, but the passion is still as strong as ever.

I know that many of us tend to be critical of Bono losing his vocal range, or the new album being overproduced, or the songs being to predictable, or "selling-out" to Apple, or whatever it may be. But, in the end, I am so glad that the lead singer of my favorite band is still willing to give everything he has to a live performance when he doesn't have to anymore. Bono has nothing else to prove to the world he always treats every performance like he has everything left to prove.

There's a reason U2 have been my consistent favorite group for over 20 years now.... and it's NOT just because I find the lead singer extremely attractive.

These guys make music that MEANS something and they are crazy enough to think that caring enough to act might just make a difference in this world. I much prefer to listen to a man who has made good use of his celebrity to try & relieve the suffering of others than to one who's just in the business for the free drugs and sex. :down:

Sure, Bono often has fun with his status and maybe even abuses it from time to time, but who among us wouldn't do the same thing? He's human and therefore bound to fall short of the mark sometimes. But I can see myself reflected in him - and by his humanitarian efforts and ability to express his passions, I can see my own potential reflected back at me. Why I love him doesn't seem to be the question so much as: How could I not?
:heart: :heart: :heart: :bono: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Last edited:
Bono is the Brett Favre of music.:drool:

Think about it:

Bono's voice=Favre's legs

Bonos' charisma=Favre's charisma

They both have aged incredibly well, looks-wise and talent-wise.

They both are future hall-of-famers.

Last edited:
I remember downloading the "A Celebration" video, which has concert footage where Bono is climbing stuff and generally acting like Bono. Kind of funny that he hasn't really changed all this time (in a good way).

Didn't give anyone a lapdance, so maybe he's changed a little.

Last edited:
FullonEdge2 said:

Think about it:

:lol: My best friend - who loves U2 AND is convinced she's Favre's future wife - will love this comparison!! :up:
And although I'm true to my poor Panthers :sad:, I have to admit that, like Bono, Mr. Favre is aging verrry well. :D

kawai17 said:
Then, to see them again on stage on SNL saturday night, I am truly amazed that even nearly 20 years later, he is still doing the same thing, going above and beyond the stage, always trying to win over a crowd like it is their first gig. It may be a different time, a different venue, and for a different cause, but the passion is still as strong as ever.
That was awesome! Most men his age just don't win the ladies that easily. Or the crowd, for that matter. He clearly proved to everyone that he has charisma, regardless of what some of the "Joshua Tree people" might tell you.

kawai17 said:

I know that many of us tend to be critical of Bono losing his vocal range, or the new album being overproduced, or the songs being to predictable, or "selling-out" to Apple...
Considering that U2 albums get reviewed like crazy, I doubt they want their work seen as "underproduced". I don't really know what you mean about songs being predictable. My guess is that you refer to their concerts. Maybe it's the fans that spend too much time looking at the setlists before they actually see them play live. And "selling out" to Apple... why shouldn't we be happy to see U2 in a commercial? Is this something against capitalism? I don't get it at all.

I'm hesitant to give ANY band the title of greatest band on the planet, but Bono is easily the greatest living frontman, indeed.

I saw SNL live last night and I've never seen anything like it. Bono's one of the great charismatics of our time - like Rasputin or Other High Profile Historical Figures. I just came to the realization that much of what he does is based on pure intuition, as if he's flying through a storm blindfolded.

Bono has always given his all in everything he has ever done - whether it has been in performance before an audience, working to help change our world for the better or with his family/friends.:wink:

It is this trait of Bono - to be FULLY OPEN, RECEPTIVE AND RESPONSIVE to everyone and at every moment of Life that has made him so famous and has endeared him to millions of people around the world (including me).

But the danger lies in our assuming that Bono has to meet our needs for him - he does not.

BONO ONLY HAS TO MEET HIS OWN NEEDS - it is up to us to simply appreciate and honor (respect) his presence in our lives.:angel:

Bono will continue to trod down THE PATH OF GRACE AND UNCONDITIONAL LOVE the rest of his time with us on this earth.

The challenge for us is: will we learn from this EXTRAORDINARY man's example and become BEACONS OF LOVE AND HOPE like him? :up:

As for me, I WILL FOLLOW !

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR ALL THAT YOU ARE AND FOR ALL THAT YOU SHOW US THAT WE CAN BECOME....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

FullonEdge2 said:

Think about it:

Go Pack go!

hear ye all,

the first time i have heard about the band is when i listened to with or without you and the streets... wowy has since been my all time fave like i can play it every 15 minutes and not grow tired of it. for various reasons like the timing of the song vis a vis my life then.. and a unique sound and rhythm , esp the rhythm that will sound as fresh as the first time you hear it.
i have never seen the band play live. i was living then in a dormitory and just co-watched the tv with a roommate. after that i never heard of u2 again. maybe i switched to mainstream pop and then to light jazz. although i must admit i am a closet rocker having loved led zepp when i was in grade school.

then i saw a younger colleague , 10 to 15 yrs younger, with the atyclb album. and i thought how could someone his age like the band who are more or less my contemporaries? then hbo showed the elevation concert. overnite, i fell in love with bono. so this was the bono they were talking about? i have never fallen for any rock star this way. and then i learned about his work for africa and his faith and the band's faith. and now i have gotten back to getting interested with the bible. quite a shame bono knows more bout the bible than me. and i am a catholic!!
thanks anyway bono, thank you so much.
YOU REALLY HAVE YOUR MYSTERIOUS WAYS OF TURNING PEOPLE AROUND. DONT YOU EVER FORGET THAT BONO. FORGET THE DISTRACTORS INSTEAD. never mind spending on the cds or dvds etc, bringing me back to my faith..that is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom