The Bomb that could've been + New album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the fact that every so often this topic pops up and I keep going back to my saved word document and copying and pasting this playlist that now seems to be the only way I enjoy listening to the album(s)

:rockon:

SEE THE WORLD

1. Beautiful Day (4:06)
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) (3.35)
3. Original Of The Species (single version) (4.29)
4. New York (5:31)
5. In A Little While (3:40)
6. Kite (4:25)
7. Peace On Earth (4:49)
8. Stateless (4.05)
9. Love You Like Mad (4.17)
10. Walk On (4:57)
11. Stuck In A Moment (acoustic) (3.42)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LEVITATE (EP)

1. Levitate (5.09)
2. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) (4.37)
3. Summer Rain (4.06)
4. Wild Honey (3:47)
5. Are You Gonna Wait Forever? (3.48)
6. Grace (5:45)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

1. Vertigo (3:13)
2. Miracle Drug (3:54)
3. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own (5:05)
4. Crumbs From Your Table (4:59)
5. All Because Of You (single mix) (3.19)
6. Love And Peace Or Else (4:48)
7. City Of Blinding Lights (5:46)
8. Smile (3.17)
9. A Man And A Woman (4:27)
10. One Step Closer (3:47)
11. Yahweh (4:22)

Last edited:
Mercy was left off to keep "Bomb" from going over an hour, not because it was a 'sub-standard song' or a 'demo'. :huh:

gareth brown said:
Mercy was left off to keep "Bomb" from going over an hour, not because it was a 'sub-standard song' or a 'demo'. :huh:

That would be the worse reason for taking a song off ever...

Time had nothing to do with it.

1. Love and Peace or Else
2. ABOY
3. Vertigo
4. Sometimes
5. OOTS
6. COBL
7. Crumbs
8. Smile
9. AYGWF
10. Mercy

If they wanted a punk album it'd have to be short and tight; so 10 songs.

1. LPOE sets the tone, the dark opener with a slow fade. We need peace.

2-3 Punk rock from Venus delievered by a pair of singles

4 & 5 the ballads

6. Opens the B side with a slow burn
7. B side filler but the message fits
8. Flows well between Crumbs and AYGWF.
9. AYGWF, well, are you? The final reminder to do something and the technical closer of the album.

10. Mercy, maybe a hidden track? A call out from the darkness that everything will be okay

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That would be the worse reason for taking a song off ever...

Time had nothing to do with it.

Sorry I wouldn't usually do this and take it so seriously, but while I appreciate your passion and you stating that as absolute fact, I cannot tell a lie and am sadly forced to feed you your own words. :wink:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3550&Key=&Year=&Cat=5
As written in Blender

As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, "too much of a good thing is a bad thing," so drastic measures need to be taken.

"I have a theory," Mullen begins, and a reverential silence descends as the drummer -- traditionally the first band member to be shouted down in these situations -- states his case. After just five minutes, it has been unanimously decided that the track "Mercy," a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish, must go.

gareth brown said:

Sorry I wouldn't usually do this and take it so seriously, but while I appreciate your passion and you stating that as absolute fact, I cannot tell a lie and am sadly forced to feed you your own words. :wink:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3550&Key=&Year=&Cat=5

Well as it stands the regular HTDAAB album runs 49 minutes...

And if you read the paragraph before and put it in some context:

"The problem, if it can be called that, lies in the album's running order. After numerous attempts, U2 have yet to find a satisfactory flow, leading them to believe that there may be too many songs. So, right now, they must decide which tunes should be sacrificed."

So I have a hard believing the we can't have it reach an hour so we'll just cut this one. It talks about how Larry made his case and they all agreed. I'm pretty sure the fact that Mercy didn't sound finished and rambled was part of Larry's case. Of course that's only theory, but just to say the only reason they cut it was time, is a little simplistic.

Yeah. If they felt it was too long, then something had to be cut. You could argue that they unanimously agreed that Mercy had to be the one to go because it didn't fit.

But to boil that down to "Mercy only got cut because the album ran too long" is a bit disingenious.

haha i did read the paragraph before so i know the context it's in! I wasn't saying it was the ONLY reason but at least i knew I'd actually read that article with genuine 'testimony' from the band themselves that the album was too long and so on. I'm not just going to come up with some theory I just like the sound of to convince myself Mercy IS in fact Grade A and worthy of being on the finished record then just decide to say "Okay, this is FACT." am I? :huh:

[edit]Although I'll readily admit it does seem like that given the way I wrote my first message in the thread, BUT to be fair I'd read that article before and at least had something to back up my thoughts. I don't know the complete story behind it since that's all I'd read on why the band cut it, I hadn't read anything else like that [as in actually involving the band rather than fan forum speculation] so I think I can be forgiven for going on just that and not knowing MORE! It's not like I said it's the ONE AND ONLY REASON![/edit...]

I just found it a bit strange you came in and said "Time had nothing to do with it." as if you were there while U2 were sat down debating what to do with the track. :wink:

The paragraph you assume I missed out says they felt they had too many songs, so discuss which should be cut.

The fact that not much later in the article it mentions 'Fast Cars' is also cut made me assume that they were 100% completely done and dusted with the album and now just trying to decide what order to put the tracks in since 'Fast Cars' was recorded at the very last minute, making it hard for me to believe that Mercy would have been 'unfinished'.

I just doubt they would have been considering an unfinished track by that stage, that's all...

Last edited:
gareth brown said:

I just doubt they would have been considering an unfinished track by that stage, that's all...

They did it with Pop...

I think "unfinished" may mean different things to different people.

gareth brown said:

I just found it a bit strange you came in and said "Time had nothing to do with it." as if you were there while U2 were sat down debating what to do with the track. :wink:

You're right I shouldn't have done that, I hate it when people do that in here... my apologies.

phanan said:
Mercy sounds really good when placed just before Yahweh as the penultimate song on the album.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

It sounds good anywhere really.

With the material on the album, it's hard to make a really good flow, but it's still possible to make a better one.

Smile has to be added to any personal mix for it to truly be great, I jus' sayin'.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They did it with Pop...

I think "unfinished" may mean different things to different people.

True!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're right I shouldn't have done that, I hate it when people do that in here... my apologies.
the problem with having to READ everything instead of hearing people's tone of voice is i can't tell when people are being sarcastic or not so i'll just say a) no worries or b) i already amended my earlier post! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom