'The Bomb' has re-grown on me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I loved HTDAAB when it first leaked and when it came out for real, but I would love any U2 record when it's brand new. Anyway, I grew tired of the record and I really didn't listen to it on a regular basis for a pretty good stretch, but recently I've been listening to it more and more and it's re-growing on me, for sure. LAPOE, COBL, AMAAW(this song has been unfairly maligned to a tremendous degree here), Fast Cars(is IS part of the record) are favorites right now, but they're all great. The only one I get bored of more quickly is ABOY, but even that's still really good. Great record.

Current Top 5 U2 Records:

1)Achtung Baby
2)Pop
3)Zooropa
4)The Joshua Tree
5)How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Your top five is the same as mine, although the order is different.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
4. Zooropa
5. Pop

ive also been listening to HTDAAB alot more lately. thanks to iTunes, i can choose which songs get skipped and which ones get played, without having to do it manually. so for the past week or so, my HTDAAB has been playing like this.....
1) Vertigo
2) SYCMIOYO
3) Love and Peace or else
4) city of blinding lights
5) one step closer
6) original of the species
7) yahweh
8) mercy
9) xantax and wine

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never heard Fast Cars. Or Native Son for that matter. Are they worth finding?

I thank you.

:ohmy:

Amazing album, but I skip two song: LPOE and ABOY, shit songs...

On the other hand, I think that MD is one of the best songs from U2, it's up there with One.

for me anyway

You did NOT just called LAPOE a 'shit song', did you?

LAPOE ROCKS HARD!! Best rocker on the record. Period.

I'm bacvk on the bandwagon myself...I ingored Vertigo when the entire album came out, and I now realize what a genius song it is. It's got the catchiest hook of any song in the U2 catalogue.

ABOY is just rockin', and makes me put my hand in the air, and take out my air guitar. It's such an unapologetically in your face rock song. No it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and yes the lyrics are a pretty simple...but who said other aggressive rock songs have to be deep? Tunes like Zep's Rock and Roll, the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again? and AC/DC's Back in Black are rocking too but don't make a whole lot of sense either (Townsend admitted as much in the Who's case)

Miracle drug and OOTS are two of their most beautiful songs...

This album is consistently in my Top 5 after AB and JT, and keeps changing places with UF. (An October/ATYCLB tie is my number five but that's another story)

Cheers

My top 5 as of today:
1) War
2)HTDAAB
3)Achtung Baby
4)Pop
5)Joshua Tree

HTDAAB has been crawling up and down my charts.

namkcuR said:
You did NOT just called LAPOE a 'shit song', did you?

LAPOE ROCKS HARD!! Best rocker on the record. Period.

Ok OK! Sorry!

It's not shit, but I can die without listen to it again (both of them)

Acrobat_Al said:

Ok OK! Sorry!

It's not shit, but I can die without listen to it again (both of them)

lol, it's cool. To each his own. Didn't mean to come off too strongly like that.

I know some people don't like the order of the songs on HTDAAB, but I think it's perfect. I love the order of One Step Closer, OOTS and Yahweh. Those three songs are a perfect ending to a brilliant album, not counting Fast Cars.

To me, it rivals Joshua Tree and Pop, in terms of ending songs.

when I first got HTDAAB, I kinda pushed it aside.. and then it started to regrow on me too.

well since everyone is showing how HTDAAM is crawling up their charts, I guess I'll show mine :shrug: :

1) War
2) Achtung Baby
3) HTDAAB
4) The Joshua Tree
5) Boy

HTDAAB and Boy have been going up and down for quite sometime on my 'charts' :|

I love How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. I never stopped loving it. It's just that I have so much U2 music. I play it about as much as the rest, but that's tough when you've got so much!

It stays in the cd player longer than other U2 cds, and slighly longer than achtung and joshua......i'm wondering its that new or because its really good...? lol

I definately can listen to it often! Great album, some of U2s best work in terms of album cohesiveness/quality from start to finish!

I don't really listen to it anymore, but I just like tyhe to sit back and let my computer play U2 song randomly, so I never now what song is next , currently listening to Tryin to Throw your arms around the world.

Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around The World :drool: :drool:

Probably because it's the more actual album to me, The Atomic Bomb is the 2nd in my chart

1) Joshua Tree
2) Atomic Bomb
3) Acthung Baby
4) ATYCLB
5) UF / War (it depends on my mood...)

Excluding All Because of You and A man and a Woman that I consider 2 weak, weak, weak songs, the rest is awesome.

Whow they are my favourite albums as well, if you bring UF to number one that is right just drop everything by 1 and you have mine.

I have to admit to not like HTDAAB at first, but it has seriously grown on me. The album is both lyrically and musically mature. What I love is that you can hear Boy and October's influence there - something missing for years. From top to bottom I think it's their best. I guess this would be my list:

1. HTDAAB
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Joshua Tree
4. ATYCLB
5. POP

For the record, Rattle & Hum is my least favorite of all the albums. I enjoy the original tracks off the album, but the live stuff and the covers just interfere. Heartland would rank up there in the all-time best, as would All I Want is You.

It always amuses me when people say that such and such a song is really weak/bad but that they love the album and it's one of their favourites. For me, if an album has poor songs on it and filler, then it's not a great album. And that's for any artist, not just U2.

First thing that springs to mind - Parklife by Blur. Some great songs on the record, but way too much filler for it to be a brilliant record. Another is Gold by Ryan Adams. Love most of the stuff on it, but the man has no understanding of quality control. He seems to think that just because he writes a song, he must put it on an album.

Sorry, that went a bit off topic :eyebrow: , so......

I loved HTDAAB as soon as I heard it, and it's grown on me some since. Which was different to ATYCLB, which I was very indifferent to at first but it grows with every listen, even these days. I hate trying to make top (insert number here) lists. On any given day they could be different, but here goes:

1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
3) ATYCLB
4) War
5) HTDAAB

It has really grown on me since seeing the album performed live. The songs are so much more powerful for me now.

youtooellen said:
when I first got HTDAAB, I kinda pushed it aside.. and then it started to regrow on me too.

well since everyone is showing how HTDAAM is crawling up their charts, I guess I'll show mine :shrug: :

1) War
2) Achtung Baby
3) HTDAAB
4) The Joshua Tree
5) Boy

HTDAAB and Boy have been going up and down for quite sometime on my 'charts' :|

1) Achtung Baby
2) Joshua Tree
3) Rattle and Hum
4) Zooropa
5) All That You Can't Leave Bahind

5 worst?

1) October
2) Passengers
3) Unforgettable Fire
4) Pop
5) Boy

Admittedly, the botttom 4 ain't that bad, they're actually very good, but October stinks

I haven't really stopped listening to it. I do rotate it with my other CD's, but I still listen to it at least once a week, or parts of it, however much of the CD I get to from my drive from home to work.

Actually the car adapter thing for my CD player and the cassette deck hasn't been working for a few awhile, so lately I've been off U2, except when the songs come on the radio.

My top 5/6 (there's a tie for 5th)

War
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
October
Boy/How to

1. Acthung, Baby
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Rattle and Hum
5. All That You Can't Leave Behind

I like the Bomb -- the WHOLE Bomb
The only problem I can see with the album is A Man and A Woman.
Its not that I don't like the song, its just I don't think it really 'fits' on the album -- I think it belongs on ATYCLB, but that's just me.

*:dancing: Hurrah for Meghan!! 100 posts!!:dancing:*

Last edited:
i was going to post a thread just like this

i liked the album at first, now i really love it, its definitely moved into the top 5 U2 albums for me

i like it a lot better than atyclb

Back
Top Bottom