The black boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Does anyone know how much those boxes can take in a crash? I think we've got a good chance of recovering them from Pennsylvania or from the Pentagon, but from WTC I'm not so sure. How much are those things supposed to withstand?

I've been thinking of the black boxes and wondering if they could possibly find them to give us some answers.

I know they can withstand a hell of a lot.. almost anything. ( I have watched many plane crash shows on those odd cable channels... )

I dont know about the WTC boxes.. I doubt they'll ever find them in that mess... but maybe the pennsylvania crash or the pentagon crash boxes will be found.

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

That's exactly what I was wondering about, especially the PA plane that was in the air so long. According to one rumor, the passengers plotted and overpowered the terrorist flying the plane. The people on the other planes had no time, but this one headed west, made a u-turn and was heading back. I wonder too if the terrorists would destroy the black boxes, or if they would want us to hear what was on them? I'm surprised no one on the news has mentioned this.

I also want to say that the officials likely know more than they are telling us, and that is for national security reasons. I heard Sen. Hatch made some comments about intercepted messages from bin Laden's gang and Colin Powell seemed upset he had told it. I think the proper people are working on this, and though we may not hear right away, it will be revealed eventually. If the big mouths in the media spread what we know now, it might harm the plans and operations needed to track down the scum who did this.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

I hope they find something. What I've heard about the PA crash suggests that nothing bigger than phone book sized debris has been found in the wreckage, so that plane took some hellish damage when it hit.

------------------
We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of the earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill

If the debris was that reduced, do you think there may have been explosives aboard? That was the plane that some guy using a cell phone allegedy called 911 and reported there were explosives on the plane.

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
If the debris was that reduced, do you think there may have been explosives aboard? That was the plane that some guy using a cell phone allegedy called 911 and reported there were explosives on the plane.

I don't think it was explosives. There was enough jet fuel on the plane take it from coast to coast. That would have been enough explosive power I think.

Enough fuel to go coast-to-coast AGAINST the airstream.

In other words, a full tank.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba
September, streets capsizing,
Spilling over, down the drain

I read in a local newspaper that the terrorists somehow destroyed the black boxes.

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

Originally posted by Sledgehammer:
I read in a local newspaper that the terrorists somehow destroyed the black boxes.

That would be awful if they did. I suppose we won't be able to confirm that until they finish their investigation.

I found this at www.bostonherald.com

`They started killing stewardesses in the
back of the plane as a diversion. The pilot came back to help and that is how they got into the cockpit,' said the source. The source could not specify whether those events took place on the American Airlines flight that left Logan, or the United Airlines flight. Both planes were plunged into the World Trade Center roughly an hour after they departed Boston.

The suspects had no guns, but used shaving kits and other carry-on luggage
to smuggle knife-like weapons made up of plastic handles embedded with razor blades, sources familiar with last night's developments said. That finding is consistent with reports of a flight attendant's cell-phone call from one of the doomed airliners.

``People were calling from the plane saying they were getting killed, calling 911,'' said one source. ``One stewardess called her husband to say goodbye.''

Just moments before the first crash, air traffic controllers heard the lone voice of the terror plot speaking from the cockpit of one doomed aircraft.

``We have more planes, we have other planes,'' a voice alleged to be that of a hijacker could be heard saying through a microphone activated by a pilot of American Airlines Flight 11, the Christian Science Monitor reported on its Web site.

------------------
Because Love is big
And Love is tough
But Love is not what you're thinking of

My fanatical U2 webpage: Take Me Higher

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sledgehammer:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is EXTREMELY unlikely and I think it's almost certain that they didn't destroy the recorders. The terrorists had plenty of other things to worry about, and these things are not tape recorders sitting under your chair in the cockpit. The data/voice recorders are usually positioned above the ceiling at the rear of the passenger cabin, underneath the tail and the actual recorders are in boxes made of hardened stainless steel or titanium. They would have had to tear the inside of the jet apart just to get to the boxes. That seems extremely unlikely to me.

Back
Top Bottom