The Best Of U2 Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2fly1

The Fly
The Best Of U2 Live

I’m a big fan of U2 live music. I’d love to put together a collection of excellent U2 concert performances of their songs. I am interested in hearing other fans opinions as to what you think are the best live individual performances of each song. For example, Mysterious Ways from Dublin, August 28, 1993. Wild Horses from Stockholm, June 11, 1992. UTEOTW Houston, October 14, 1992.

Where The Streets Have No Name
-Point Depot, Dublin: December 26, 1989 :drool:

One Tree Hill
-Same as above :drool:

catlhere said:
Where The Streets Have No Name

One Tree Hill
-Same as above :drool:

dead on, especially that 'one tree hill' performance. i'd add 'with or without you' from that show, as well.

i love the 'I still haven't found..' from NYC, 9/28/87 - the performance from that night WITHOUT the gospel choir. bono is in TOP form.

'bad' from rotterdam 1/10/90 is my current favorite performance. 'desire' from that show is pretty insane, as well (super mega guitar solo from the edge!)

the pair of 'all i want is you' into 'streets' from toronto 5/25/2000 is tough to beat. great recording exists of that show, and an unreal performance from the entire band in that pair. certainly the best interpretation of 'all i want is you' i've heard. a raw precursor to what we saw on the slane dvd.

i'll think of some more....

One Tree Hill seguing into Streets a la Lovetown...

Gloria, With Or Without You, New Year's Day, Bad, from Lovetown...

I have seen them since the Joshua Tree and I have to say that the ZOO t.v. performances were magical. I lovbed the way edge funked up Bullet the Blue Sky. Any night on that tour for that song. Also, Gone during Pop was great as well. I thought Elevation was the tightest tour so far. They seemed to be more relaxed on the third leg of tours too.

Exit (JT), The Fly (vertigo), Stay (elevation)

It would be cool if people could upload the songs in question to (ysi is worthless), so everybody can hear and give feedback.

u2fly1 said:
Mysterious Ways from Dublin, August 28, 1993.

Definitely not, Bono sings way out of tune after Edge's solo

The bedrock performance of Mysterious Ways was at the Houston Astrodome, 14th Oct 1992.

The best quality version is on BP Fallon's Zoo Radio - Outside Broadcast, though the start has been edited to take out the word 'Fuck. (Bono says, 'what the fuck is rock and roll?')

There is a lower quality audience boot of the concert available with the full intro, though I'd stick with the zoo radio recording.

my own ultimate U2 live runs like this

elevation
Beautiful day(The goal is soul!)
Until the end of the world
New years day( Just this once!)
(All from slane 4 top notch versions)

Gloria(red rocks)
Electric co(red rocks)

Exit (R&H)
Gone(Boston)
Last night on earth (Popmart mexico)
Kite(Slane, Im a maaaaaaan I'm not a child)
SBS( R&H)

Bullet the Blue Sky(Boston, whats my name? Mark Chapman!)
Running to stand still (Zoo tv Sydney, Halle, Halle, hallelulja,Halle halle)
Bad(Boston)

Please(popheart)
Streets(popheart)

The Fly(Boston)
With or without you(R&H)
Pride (R& H)
One(popmart Mexico)
Walk on (tribute to heroes 911 Tv special)

There you go Not sure about the running order but I love it

I'll paste something I've found here about a year ago....

VHS/DVD: ZooTV, Popmart, and UABRS. They are the best. Period.

There's only one CD, UABRS.

As for my picks for best versions of some of the most well-known songs...

Bad: Live Aid 86. Enough said.

Streets: They've never done a less-than-perfect version of this, so just pick one

WOWY: JT Tour, April 19, 1987, Chicago. This is the legendary 'Rock's Hottest Ticket' bootleg. The version of WOWY on here is absolutely spine-tingling, with multiple repetitions of the Shining Stars verses and the Love Will Tear Us Apart verses(a homage to Joy Division).

Bullet The Blue Sky: ZooTV Sydney Video. The guitar solo in this version is a catharsis

Sunday Bloody Sunday: R&H Version. This includes the now infamous 'Fuck The Revolution' speech.

One: Modena, 1995, on the Miss Sarajevo single. Bono and Edge with an orchestra. Has been known to make grown men weep.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet: Miami, the very first show of the Elevation tour. A wonderfully beautiful acoustic performance of this song.

Until The End Of The World: Elevation Slane DVD or that ZooTV special that aired in 1992.

New Year's Day: Popmart Mexico City Video or Elevation Slane DVD.

Lemon: ZooTV Sydney Video.

Beautiful Day: 6/19/01 Elevation Tour, MSG NYC(I was at this show).

Running To Stand Still: ZooTV Sydney Video.

catlhere said:

One Tree Hill

You are going to obviously get alot of varying opinions on each song in this thread. But I think if there is any kind of concensus among fans with One Tree Hill, this IS the version without a doubt. Bono goes nuts at the end, plus its a soundboard recording.

ruicosta said:
WOWY: JT Tour, April 19, 1987, Chicago. This is the legendary 'Rock's Hottest Ticket' bootleg. The version of WOWY on here is absolutely spine-tingling, with multiple repetitions of the Shining Stars verses and the Love Will Tear Us Apart verses(a homage to Joy Division).
Quoted for Truth. The absolute best version of With Or Without You I've ever heard. :love: not only does it have Bono singing some parts of it just plain silly ("and i'm waiting... for youuuu-oouu-oouu :lol: ) It has the 2 best snippets for the song, which B-man pours his heart out into. Incredible.

I disagree with anyone who says a ZooTV RTSS should be included. I much perfer the earlier perfomances of it. Even the one's from Elevation/Vertigo without the annoying guitar intro. The only saving point of it for me, was that it flowed into Streets. Other than that, I don't reccomend 90's RTSS.

Hi Elly
I forgot about Mysterious Ways from Outside Broadcast. It is an outstanding version and you’re right it does sound more energetic. I actually did some editing to it a couple years ago and I made complete version with that intro opening line by Bono.
Here’s a YSI link for it.
http://s24.ysi.com/d.aspxid=0ZSESRYU98MRB261D0TJBLDVK4
I have to take a look at another version from PopMart Chile. I remember The Edge was just on fire during his solo.

Last edited:
ruicosta said:

Streets: They've never done a less-than-perfect version of this, so just pick one

Bullet The Blue Sky: ZooTV Sydney Video. The guitar solo in this version is a catharsis

Sunday Bloody Sunday: R&H Version. This includes the now infamous 'Fuck The Revolution' speech.

One: Modena, 1995, on the Miss Sarajevo single. Bono and Edge with an orchestra. Has been known to make grown men weep.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet: Miami, the very first show of the Elevation tour. A wonderfully beautiful acoustic performance of this song.

Until The End Of The World: Elevation Slane DVD or that ZooTV special that aired in 1992.

That's mine. I posted that last year :wink:

ruicosta said:

Two things I would change are:

Running to Stand Still: LA, 11/18/87 for the extra lyrics he throws in.

Bullet the Blue Sky: Wembley, 8/12/93 because they sounded extremely pissed.

Hi Ruicosta “Bad: Live Aid 86. Enough said.” I recognize that this performance was historically important to U2 and that it was significantly influential in propelling U2 forward to becoming the “biggest band in the world” with JT. Additionally, it was visually dramatic with Bono jumping off the stage and the hug / dance with the girl. However, what I’m interested in is discovering the best performance of Bad (Bono’s vocals, the band’s instrumental execution).

Streets: They've never done a less-than-perfect version of this, so just pick one there are a lot of goods but there might be 1 that is just outstanding lots great ones to choose though.

One: Modena, 1995, Intresting, I have that just on the side but intresting choice

The Ground Beneath Her Feet: Miami, the very first show of the Elevation tour. A wonderfully beautiful acoustic performance of this song. I will make sure I look into this one.

Zootv yes my favorite a hidden one.
ZooTV special that aired in 1992. I think they you this for the live vidoe best of 90's Houston TX band is very tight this could be the one but a a lot more to look at. Once again i am trying to keep the visual out.

Lemon: ZooTV Sydney - Probably the best I can't find one better.

Running To Stand Still: zootv sweet version

ruicosta said:

Ruicosta quoted an old post of mine from a year ago. The list in Ruicosta's post is MY list. I was at the 6/19/01 Elevation show, not Ruicosta :wink:. I'm just saying this because several people have responded to Ruicosta's post as if the list was his/hers.

Thanks for the recommendations already offered. I hope to hear about some more great U2 live versions. Keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited:
Last Night on Earth - Popmart Mexico.
The chorus explodes throughout and the extended ending is just superb.

Gone - Popmart Sarajevo
Bono's losing his voice but it's incredibly emotional.

Dirty Day - ZooTV Sydney

Ultraviolet - One of the ZooTV concerts in Dublin. There's a great snippet of "Help" leading into it as well, which doesn't hurt.

bad from rattle and hum is def. up there..amazing version with the stones snippets

Last edited:
Great idea mate , if they released and they should do something like this to make up for all the live cds that they didnt release , I'm sure it would be called : U2 - The Best of live 80-06 .

out of control- slane.

miss sarajevo- boston 12/05/06

Pride (R&H)

Mysterious Ways- San Jose, April 2005

A couple of gems I found while searching some boots are
Slow Dancing and a 8:00 min version of Bad, from All I want is U2
Rotterdam January 10, 1990. Rotterdam

Last edited:
Gloria, New Year´s Day, Electric Co, MLK and "40" : Dortmund, Germany 22-11-1984 :drool:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock: Belfast 23-01-1981 :yes:

A Celebration: Hattem 14-05-1982

Angel Of Harlem: Rotterdam 09-01-1990

Desire: Any version from Rotterdam 1990

Bullet The Blue Sky: Tempe 19-12-1987

Running To Stand Still: Rotterdam 09-01-1990

Bad: Live Aid 1985

Sunday Bloody Sunday: Loreley 20-08-1983 (UABRS LP)

I Still Haven´t Found: Chicago 29-04-1987 (Rock's Hottest Ticket)

Stay: Dublin 28-08-1993

Mothers Of The Dissappeared: Santiago 11-02-1998:heart:

Van Diemend´s Land: Christchurch 04-11-1989

More gems will be revealed soon :wink:

Back
Top Bottom