the best fly video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adypole

Refugee
I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm goin
what do you prefer?

The fly live from the boston dvd, the sydney dvd, or the chicago dvd or u23d?

I'm stuck between 3D and Boston. boston was an insane performance yet the 3d one had a great intro and an amazing sound.

The boston fly was at one point my favourite u2 video.

i think i might be in the minority here but I steadfastly believe that Buenos Aires is far better than Sao Paulo in every aspect. Bono sounds exhausted in Brazil IMO.

fandangamoq said:
Nothing beats the kick ass visual of the Zoo TV Fly, so my vote goes to Sydney.

Agreed , Sydney`s the best one:drool:
Runner-up though Vertigo 3d version.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston

though U23D's was pretty fucking good.

They're all awesome in their own ways.

ZooTV because it's the first performance of it and just performed in all its glory
Boston for that intro :drool: and solo
Chicago cos it was real funky.

U2 3D blows any version of the Fly out of the water without even trying. Just because it's the Fly, the way that U2 seem to have really meant for it to be.

fandangamoq said:
Nothing beats the kick ass visual of the Zoo TV Fly, so my vote goes to Sydney.

Major disapointment IMO. It seemed rather flat and lacklusture, the text always got on my nerves.

When I saw this threat I thought, "wow, there was more than1??", but alas, it was about live versions.
For me it can only be between Zoo TV and the Boston DVD, I love the opening part to the boston version and the differently arranged chorus, but ZOO TV is ZOO TV so it probably wins.
By the way The Fly VIDEO (1991) Dir Richie Smyth is possibly their best VIDEO.

The words and texts just make the video. Best idea ever for this song.

The Zoo TV version is just awesome with the vidoe walls and flying texts.

The U2 3D version was even more visually outstanding with the new lines and phrases and the falling letters during the chorus. just :drool: :drool:

I don't like the U2:3D version at all. Musically, that version is quite ramshackle, starting with the intro (malfunction?). I never quite got into that version when I saw it at the cinema.

The Boston version, however, is amazing. It's mentioned already in this thread, but the 'spacey' intro, the intensity of the performance, Bono jumping into the audience (1st night) and splattering himself at the vidiwall (2nd night) make this an amazing live video.

The original Sydney version is quite good too, but I thought it was always missing something. The flashing words were it's main focal point and in a way prevented you from really getting engaged with their performance.

Chicago is nice, nothing special.

So yeah, Boston for me.
:)

this is not even a topic for debate. the elevation version is the best here's why

- the ZooTV version was cool, but somewhat boring. they threw it in the very beginning of the show as an uptempo song to keep the setlist moving. but the performances were pretty simple. on the other hand, the Elevation version was a complete transformation. they played it as the last song before the encore, and then they moved it down to be the last song before the second encore. why did they put it in this position? to be a fucking show-stopper. to be a song they could leave the stage from. and it totally was. the beautiful extended intro, where everyone was kind of figuring out what was going on, the new key, which made the song longer because bono took over the entire chorus, and the single guitar, which let bono run around stage (like he's fucking supposed to). it was the same song as 9 years ago, but the arrangement and the lighting gave it a totally different feel -- a more defined, smoother sound compared to the brash ZooTV version, and instead of the crazy subliminal messages, they had the simple words on the screen ("home" during the chorus always got to me). that feel was the essence of the elevation tour, imo. that song did exactly what u2 wanted the elevation tour to do. they took this big stadium song, mixed it around, crammed it into a small arena, and it totally tore the building to shreds. they took an old, beat-up, garage-rock song and turned it into classic u2 -- exactly what they wanted to do with the entire elevation tour.

- the sound Edge gets out of his guitar is absolutely destructive. compared to the elevation versions, the ZooTV/Vertigo tour versions sound like he's playing with a fucking toy amp. there is no question that Edge's guitar sounds better on the elevation tour version of the fly than any other version of that song (or any song, for that matter). the slow intro? perfect, classic Edge delay, with the eventide 3000 whooshing around beautifully. the verses? HUGE, FAT, SIZZLING tone. the chorus? just enough delay, just enough overdrive. the solo? OH MY GOD. the notes fly off of his fucking guitar (no pun intended). it's indescribable. the best guitar tone i've ever heard is that solo on the elevation tour.

- as a side note, bono running around the heart during edge's solo and sticking to the screen at the end of the song are also pretty cool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom