The best bad ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
Of course you guys know already, LIVE AID. I have put it on non-stop, what a great performance. For the older fans, how did you feel when you heard/watched live aid?

Anyways, I just love the ending...it seems to go on forever...DO Do Do Do Do...

"Molly came from Miami LFA...hitchhiked all across the USA, she could feel the satellite coming down pretty soon she was in LONDONTOWN, wembley stadium and all the people went do do do do do do.."

Has U2 ever played this kind of version anywhere else? This just blows me away...it's in my blood
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

I have always loved the Rattle and Hum version because he sounds so passionate.....almost angry.

Originally posted by baker6621:
Were you a U2 fan at that point? Or did this performance hit you and you became a fan?

Although the question was directed to doctorwho, I feel this compulsion to answer to it myself.
I have told this story here more than once, so forgive me if you already have read it, I can't help repeting myself. Something really happened in my life the night I saw U2 performance in the Live Aid concert. I was 24 (yes, I am what you call and old fan, LOL), I was in the last year of college and living alone, away from my family. Live Aid was aired here in my country a few days later than July 13th 1985. I was hoping to see another artist like Led Zepellin and David Bowie. I had never heard about U2 before, their first album released in Brazil was The Unforgettable Fire. I wasn't paying much attention to the show, but when I saw U2, especially Bono singing with such passion and rendition I got hooked immediately. And forever. The day after I ran to the record stores and bought UF, to have that song, Bad, became an absolute need. Nowadays I can't even remember my life without U2 songs anymore.

The ending is a paraphrased quote from Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" - and the beginning is from Reed's "Satellite of Love" - they used to do this somewhat often at the end of Bad - esp. on the Unforgettable Fire tour

I'm not sure if the Live Aid version of "Bad" is my all-time favorite, but I do enjoy it.

I turned 21 the weekend of Live Aid - and very much remember this event. My friend, who also turned 21 at that time, and I watched this show on MTV between going out for Long Island Iced Teas.
wink.gif

U2's performance was outstanding, as was Led Zeppelin's. I remember U2 really going on for some time with "Bad" which surprised me. Little did I know that Bono's simple act of dancing with a girl at that show would propel U2 into superstardom.

Ahhh...memories....

Baker, were you even alive when Live Aid was played?
wink.gif

You guys are killin' me, you know this, right? I have NEVER seen Live Aid! In 1985 I was between semesters at art college, spending the summer in Toronto and renting a little attic room without such amenities as cable TV...I saw a tiny bit of Phil Collins while sitting in a bar on Yonge Street. That's it. (I've been trying to get the VHS on eBay...oowee, it ain't cheap.) The first live Bad I saw was R&H on the big screen (that's theatre, not flat-screen television for you youngsters), and that's when it fused with my DNA along with JT two years prior.
So can someone tell me then... what was going on with Bono in that R&H performance? It wasn't the same day as Eniskillen, far as I can tell, but was he troubled that night?? His hugging Adam at the end gets me every time.
And if anyone's interested in some serious trading, please email me. <dabcd@mdi.ca>

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

DocterWho, those are some awesome memories. And to answer your question, I wasn't alive yet
smile.gif
If it's true Live Aid was in August, then I came around a couple of months later!

Were you a U2 fan at that point? Or did this performance hit you and you became a fan?

Thanks for sharing/info guys!

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

The New Years Eve 89 performance of Bad is really good as well, powerful and passionate. Also there is a Jan 9th 1990 performance I believe, that I have that is also really really powerful. Bono sounds like he's tearing up his vocal chords.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

[This message has been edited by david (edited 10-09-2001).]

Originally posted by baker6621:
Of course you guys know already, LIVE AID. I have put it on non-stop, what a great performance. For the older fans, how did you feel when you heard/watched live aid?

Anyways, I just love the ending...it seems to go on forever...DO Do Do Do Do...

"Molly came from Miami LFA...hitchhiked all across the USA, she could feel the satellite coming down pretty soon she was in LONDONTOWN, wembley stadium and all the people went do do do do do do.."

Has U2 ever played this kind of version anywhere else? This just blows me away...it's in my blood
biggrin.gif

Do you have the recording on US VHS or European VHS? MTV version or BBC version?

Let me know as I would like to trade some U2 boots for a copy.

Thanks

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\
http://eliv8.fws1.com/

[This message has been edited by Eliv8 (edited 10-10-2001).]

The best bad ever is the one on Rock Hottes't tickets ...29 April 1987...12 minutes and Edge is playing a melody I have never listened again...

Bad threads always deserve a *boostier*.

My Bad question du jour is this...sometimes I feel my life will never be complete without a copy of the Live Aid performance on video in my possession. Will someone please help to fill this gaping hole in my existence?

I fully agree joyful. I would love a videotape as well.

I remember watching the shows on TV and thinking how cool U2 were, and how cool Phil Collins was because I think he played at both shows.

*sigh*

...sat there in front of the TV and didn't tape it...it's way up there on the All Time Biggest Mistakes of My Life list. (Ok, so I'm bored at work and need to be dramatic.)

Has any of the Live Aid performances ever been televised since the event?

I always wanted to see U2's performance.
The closet I have come is just seeing snippits here and there.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Like you, I've only seen snippets since the actual event. Maybe we should get a petition to MTV going in time for the next anniversary.

I bought a Live Aid video off of E-bay a few years ago (my first online auction purchase), for 16 or 17 bucks. I got it *exclusively* to see Bad. Well, I got several hours of footage, but no Bad. So I still have never seen this performance. The tape has a lot of other cool stuff, including Sunday Bloody Sunday, but all I want is Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have it on tape! I bought a tape on ebay for like 15 bucks w/ all these outtakes and old performances, especially in the old house in Dublin (forget name) but I got it mainly for LIVE AID! It includes SBS and of course Bad. Bad is simply amazing, the quality is actually pretty GOOD compared to what people have said and Bono is in the best form ever. I love it...
smile.gif

------------------

The best version that I've heard is off a bootleg from Dublin, circa 1985, I think. The one that I have is called "My Hometown", because they do a cover of Springsteen's My Hometown.

Anyways, the version of Bad is about 12 and a half minutes long. Bono starts the song by saying that Dublin city is not always a fair city (unemployment, poverty, etc). At the end, they add in snippets from Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy For The Devil and Walk On The Wild Side. After those snippets, Bono starts talking about being from Ireland and starts naming different cities like Finglis (?) and Ballymun (?). You'll have to excuse my ignorance of Irish cities and/or counties, or whatever they're called over there. Edge then does a great solo, and then the song ends. Beautiful!

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

Originally posted by Man Ray:
The best bad ever is the one on Rock Hottes't tickets ...29 April 1987...12 minutes and Edge is playing a melody I have never listened again...

Agreed. I have that boot and listen to it a ton. 12 minutes of pure bliss. What an awesome version of Bad.

I do not have the live Aid show and have never seen that.....time to go shopping on Ebay or trading if anyone is interested.

I've got a VERY interesting version from the beginning of the R&H outtakes. It's a sound check, with the camera mainly focussing on Larry. Way cool.
smile.gif

------------------
I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Bad threads always deserve a *boostier*.

My Bad question du jour is this...sometimes I feel my life will never be complete without a copy of the Live Aid performance on video in my possession. Will someone please help to fill this gaping hole in my existence?

I have it on tape.

Small problem, it's Australian format, and I'm in the US now. I'll be (hopefully) buying a multi-format VCR in the Spring though...

FYI - Bono walked off stage at the end of Bad, then just when the music was finishing, you could see him running back onstage, with 2/3 people trying to stop him. Unfortunately, in Australia, they cut back to "Molly"
frown.gif

I don't think the band played or did anything else though.

------------------

Oh, also, a great version of Bad is from ZooTV DC. (that entire concert kicks ass).

He does a little bit of "Goodbye Norma Jean"

------------------

I taped Live Aid and somehow overtaped it a few years ago Grrr! I recently downloaded the bootleg and it's soo neat to have it again.

Check out Bad from Self Aid May 17, 1986 and Bad from Providence October 30, 2001 where you'll hear my daughter scream "I love you" and then Bono makes a prayer before ending with 40.

Man Ray - I downloaded the version from April 29, 1987 and it is awesome! Thank you!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

I dont have Live Aid video.....but saw one time the footage of Bono throwin himself down to pick a girl out, and as usual he had a very tense 'do not disturb me, bodyguards' look on his face.........
biggrin.gif

I like it!!!!!

nooooooo and the pirate video of it might be shite so............

U2 + Live Aid = Absolutely Amazing. I remember taping the show (audio) on my boom box while watching it live on TV(one of my local radio stations was simulcasting it). I still have the tape & still listen to it from time to time, what 15 years later. I watched all day long, and recorded 2 tapes worth. Highlights for me: U2 (of course), Led Zep, Queen, Bryan Adams. If my memory is right, didn't Phil Collins perform at both venues?

Live Aid, I'll never forget that day. I had been a fan for a couple years already and was waiting for them to come on. It was a Saturday and they came on real early like
11:00 am (eastern) and I was just blown away. I had already seen them live that spring but this was something different I can't explain it. I was almost jumping into the TV. It was just so overwhelming and I was so proud of them but I was a little sorry too because I knew right then things
were going to change for them on a much larger scale. That night the radio stations kept playing their performance over and over. Things changed for me too because my fandom went into maximum overdrive...hasn't
ceased yet.

I was looking to see that performance again for so many years and then finally VH1 had repeated the show on the 10 year Anniversary ('95) I got my copy!

Live Aid & Rattle & Hum are great, but there are 2 other favorites of mine as well. The Amnesty gig in 86 at Giants Stadium. I don't think Bono's voice ever sounded as powerful. I remember when they came out & opened with MLK and went into Pride, it was probably the most powerful live performance I ever saw on TV. I remember thinking to myself, "My God, they are now the biggest band on the planet." When Bono came out it was like the second coming, at least that's how I felt at the time. The 12/31/89 version on the LT tour is great too.

Back
Top Bottom