The bellydancer--I've always wanted to say this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BONO'ppetit

War Child
I know that dancer is now Edge's wife, but her bellydancing is baaaaaad. She may be a good dancer in other areas, but not bellydancing. If you've ever seen real bellydancing, you know exactly why I say this so this is primarily for those who know. I had to get it off my chest.
theyareontome.gif

myusernamehere said:
Well she's better at it than I am, so I can't really critique.
Everyone critiques something they're not qualified to sometime. I just thought it odd, being that they were in a land of bellydancers to do one video that they got her for the part--just b'c she's The Edge's woman, I guess. Just thinking out loud. :shrug:

She wasnt Edges woman at the time they got her for the show so you best learn your facts before posting on here.

BONO'ppetit said:
Everyone critiques something they're not qualified to sometime. I just thought it odd, being that they were in a land of bellydancers to do one video that they got her for the part--just b'c she's The Edge's woman, I guess. Just thinking out loud. :shrug:

Are you a bellydancer?
Do you think bellydancing is difficult or easy? (I don't know anything about it) Maybe you can explain why you think her dancing was so bad?

Adam'sbaby said:

Are you a bellydancer?
Do you think bellydancing is difficult or easy? (I don't know anything about it) Maybe you can explain why you think her dancing was so bad?
B'c I've seen real bellydancers. I grew up with them b'c my mom was one and taught it. She's probably a fantastic dancer of other sorts, I'm sure. But her bellydancing just rivalled a preteen aspiring starlet's 'entertainment night in the family livingroom', complete with mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and the 2-1/2 siblings. :combust: :applaud: Okay, that's a little harsh, but you know what I'm saying. And even if you don't...it's just my opinion and I've wanted to critique that for some time now. :D

I love my inner thoughts editor... it doesn't always work, but it works when I need it the most...

:wink:

If I said everything I thought, I'd probably be dead or in a hospital bed already :D

So I'm not supposed to say anything if I think someone isn't going to like it, is that what you're saying? If that be the case, there wouldn't be anyone posting here--or anywhere--ever.

My apologies if anyone took this personally. I didn't intend to offend anyone. It's only my opinion of a dance.
105.gif

Last edited:
Hey don't sweat it, cos I agree with you! I have seen Egyptian bellydancers in documentaries and last time I went to a local Moroccan restaurant and yes, what they did is not what Morleigh did. I think Morleigh choreographed her dance to be more swaying so she could approach and then go away from Bono (to fit the song) but it didn't involve the traditional hip swaying movements of real bellydancing.

No I am not a dancer, I just like watching documentaries. :wink:

I agree with BONO'ppetit and blueeyedgirl. I used to study bellydance. Egyptian bellydance to be precise. Morleighs style of dancing is more Broadway than bellydancing. Not that thats a crime.

I once read an interview with Hossam Ramsey who indicated that he knew and appreciated Yasmina, the dancer in the Mysterious Ways video, but didn't think much of Morleigh. Or something to that effect. Its been a while since I read that interview. My apologies if I have the details skewiff.

If you evaluate Morleighs bellydancing as bellydancing it is indeed bad. If you evaluate her bellydancing as Broadway/USA modern, etc dancing the outcome may well be different.

But the mood is there and thats all thats important really. :up:

I think she was in the concert to dance to the specific song, not to demonstrate proper belly dancing.

Which isn't to say your point isn't valid, but ... well, yeah. She's there to fit into "Mysterious Ways."

A friend of mine who went to dozens of ZOO TV shows has always said the lady who danced on the first leg (indoor) was a better dancer. I've never seen her in action so I can't compare...

I wouldn't call it "bad", but after seeing the performances of the seasoned bellydancers from the studio I take lessons at I'd have to agree that Morleigh's not terribly impressive. Still, it was seeing her shake and shimmy during Mysterious Ways on ZooTV that got me inspired to do bellydancing, :)

Have any of the bellydancers you've seen actually used their bellies? They're bellydancers b'c they use them usually, not b'c they show them off. It looks kind of strange when they're dancing and they roll their stomaches. My mom did it really well and she danced with snakes.

I have seen it, and done well. My teacher could roll her tum. Actually she also could control the sideways side of her abdomen. Absolutely spectacular to watch. I'm not so good at it and end up with a stitch. lol.

When I was young I was always fascinated with bellydancers and bellydancing. My family and I would go to a restaurant that wasn't far from our home. It was called Haji Babba's and was my favorite place. The dancers would come out, take my hand and let me dance with them. My mom had a friend who was from Lebanon. She would bring friends over and make middle eastern food and play the music. We would start bellydancing and I would take scarves and put them around my waist. I have never taken lessons but I was a practiced dancer. I loved the dancers on the tour. I thought it was sensual to watch Bono move with the women. I love the costumes and I am sure some of you know a woman who is on this site every now and then. She bellydanced on stage with Bono during a tour. :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom