The beauty of the Real Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Even Better Than The Real Thing is dismissed very easily on this board by some people because there are better lyrics in the form of Acrobat, Fly or UTEOTW on the same album. But really, if you crank up EBTTRT from start to finish and listen closely, or better yet watch the video while you listen to it... it's fuckin' out of this world.

1. The whole guitar build-up at the beginning perfectly complimented by the insanely dizzy image of the fingers holding the remote. As Mullen crashes down on the cymbals, the song is kick-started with Bono's voice fading away in the background.

2. That slide guitar all-throughout the song. :drool:

3. Right after the second 'Child', the TV comes on with that no-transmission sound. :drool: 'Massage... facial treatment....' ending with the scream.

3. And of course the 'take me higher' moans and grunts :sexywink:

In short: Watching the video and listening to it is a complete experience in itself. Goes to show how Achtung Baby is more about the experience and less about the poetry of the lyrics.

it's the song that got me into U2. i'll never forget hearing it for the first time at the age of 11 and thinking, "This is music!!!".

mikal said:
it's the song that got me into U2. i'll never forget hearing it for the first time at the age of 11 and thinking, "This is music!!!".

hehe had the same kind of epiphany with the song when i was 13... well the whole album really (a definite lightbulb moment)... but ebttrt was a fav. off the album from the start (still is)...currently it's at #2 (tied w/ zoo) right under uteotw on AB ... and yes i luv the video too .. one of the coolest i'd seen up to that point (esp. the knuckles/hand morph type thing like zootlesque mentioned)

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

sure!!!!!! I'm dying to. :wave: :wink:

I love Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Except that's in Bizarro Land where I'm not really Axver.

Zootlesque said:
I'm Captain Bizarro. I luuuuurrrrvvveee Heartland.

I know you love it a whole lot more than you could ever love EBTTRT. You're the greatest Heartland lover on the site! :wink:

Images of Highway 66 and the ghost ranch hills come to mind. All of a sudden you hear the sound of some kinda clicking coming from a distance. The clicking turns to a monstrous industrial riff. and the roar of the Zoologischer Garten train that has just arrived and trampled all over the heartland.

:p

Zootlesque said:
All of a sudden you hear the sound of some kinda clicking coming from a distance. The clicking turns to a monstrous industrial riff. and the roar of the Zoologischer Garten train that has just arrived and trampled all over the heartland.
:drool:

Zootlesque said:
Images of Highway 66 and the ghost ranch hills come to mind. All of a sudden you hear the sound of some kinda clicking coming from a distance. The clicking turns to a monstrous industrial riff. and the roar of the Zoologischer Garten train that has just arrived and trampled all over the heartland.

:p

It's a shame that there's no emoticon for terror and horror.

YOU FIEND!

:wink:

briliant song. After "One", the video for this was one of the things that got me into u2 the most.

"Give me one last chance and I'm going to make you sing." What a great line.

Back
Top Bottom