"The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" available in Ireland on February 22-29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miringeltje said:

Hot Press reports that "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" will premiere Tuesday morning on several regional and national Irish radio stations.

Yeah that's when I heard it. U2.com posted up the video so that mp3 is going to get around pretty quickly.

Thanks for posting the video, I like the song!

Can someone send it to me as well:

zypresse28 at yahoo.de

Very much appreciated, thanks!

Bono's most recent U2-independent recordings have an odd quirk of being in a key a semitone too high for him to sing. I hope they sort this out before the final vocal tracks are laid down on the new record.

Rob33 said:
^ you don't like how he is singing in this song?
The vocals remind me of the ones he did for I Am the Walrus. The song is in a key (D) that is perhaps a half a semitone too high for Bono to sing strongly when the vocal melody is repeated high notes like that. I think he could have done a better job if it was in D# or C. It just irks me a bit because his voice has definitely evolved a bit since even the HTDAAB recording sessions and it seems like he hasn't tried to change his phrasing at all to accomodate this. It seems like he doesn't try to sustain notes and sings them a bit flat as he trails off after each note.

I am looking forward to master Eno and Lanois' imput on the new album.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Too high for him to sing?:huh:
It may be a question of technique but you can't say that I Am the Walrus or this new single are above-average vocal takes, let's be objective here. He doesn't have the power to strain his middle voice like that anymore over a couple of bars (repeated notes in a vocal line, a hallmark of Paul McCartney), though his falsetto range is still lovely (Window in the Skies, for example).

(I think it's a pretty fair, objective observation, and there's no need to post 15 samples of shakey notes he's hit on tour to refute that, Peterrr) :wink:

Last edited:
Well neither of these songs are really strong vocal songs to begin with...just the way they were written.

The Ronnie Drew song he only has a few solo lines.

I Am The Walrus, vocally is the best version of this song. The original vocal sucked, Jim Carey did a pretty good take on it before this...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The Ronnie Drew song he only has a few solo lines.

The video looks like Bono solo - and a backing band though. :huh: I think he got more solo lines than others.

Ist that him around the 2:40 mark too, when the song climaxes ?

In the video it looks almost as if Bono would sing the song alone, except for the chorus where you can see the others. It's kind of strange because he's singing even when he clearly isn't singing :lol:

It's him in the beginning and it's him somewhere towards the end again. I must say I like the second part better. I kind of agree with Canadiens here, the first lines are sung in a way that is a bit too high for him, which is a shame, because Bono cannot really show off his voice there because he cannot sing it strongly enough. I think Walrus was better.

Canadiens1160 said:
It may be a question of technique but you can't say that I Am the Walrus or this new single are above-average vocal takes, let's be objective here. He doesn't have the power to strain his middle voice like that anymore over a couple of bars (repeated notes in a vocal line, a hallmark of Paul McCartney), though his falsetto range is still lovely (Window in the Skies, for example).

(I think it's a pretty fair, objective observation, and there's no need to post 15 samples of shakey notes he's hit on tour to refute that, Peterrr) :wink:

SHAKY? :ohmy: You cant be serious? Bono has never hit the notes so clean in the 80's and 90's like he did between 05-07, he screamed to hit the notes wich often made him sound strained in the 80's and 90's. Just compare AIWIY from Vertigo tour, Buenos Aires for an example. The "YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" note is 7 seconds long and clean. On LT town the same note was short and with scream sound. Ask a voice coach wich one that is most impressive, a note wich is hit clean or a note that must be screamed to be hit. Wide Awake on Bad is another example...

Please mail me the PeterrrrrU2@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom