The Auto-Voter: Was it worth it? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2001, 12:42 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:16 AM
The Auto-Voter: Was it worth it?

First of all. I don't want to offend KevM with this thread. I also request that this thread doesn't turn sour.

But I was looking at other fan forums and it really seems that us U2 fans have lost our good name. Obviously most of these comments come from fans who are competing with us. And I also realize that their voting methods weren't exactly ethical either.

But do you think this whole thing was a big mistake?

------------------
You think you know me

Old 11-27-2001, 12:48 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:16 AM
All's fair in love, war and voting.

Old 11-27-2001, 12:53 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:16 PM
They had their own ways of getting around the one vote thing and we did as well. They're being hypocritical and I hate people like that. Bon Jovi fans went as far as to complain to the band that this was going on so the band could complain to VH1. But I highly doubt BJ fans mentioned they had figured out a way to vote multiple times and used that.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:58 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Personally I'm sick of the whole voting frenzy. I have more important things to do than stuff a virtual ballot box for some stupid awards show that no one, in particular the band doesn't care about.

I love U2, and I know you all do too, and I think that should suffice. Frankly this shit with Bon Jovi and Dave Matthews fans has gotten out of control.

------------------
A vampire or a victim
It depends on who's around
Old 11-27-2001, 04:39 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:16 PM
damn. we could have really shown those other fans that U2 are better if we had cheated better than them. cause U2 are better but they don't realize it cause we're not cheating hard enough.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:57 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

of course it was. I still find it baffling that people are making a HUGE distinction between fans of other bands using multiple usernames and yes even fake emails, and us using multiple usernames and emails. Just because we had a device to do it for us, and the others didn't, they somehow come out squeaky clean??

Think of it like this. If a thief used a computer to hack into an account and steal a million dollars from a bank, would it be any different than if a person went directly to the bank and stole the million in person, or even stole 10,000 at a time multiple times? No, it results in the same outcome.

So fans are going to vote multiple times on internet voting, that is a given. How they do it is up to them.

Take a look at this from the Bon Jovi message board.

<GO MAKE'EM WIN.. SIGN UP AS MANY ACCOUNTS AS YOU CAN, FANS FROM OTHER BANDS ARE DOING THE SAME... http://WWW.VH1.COM/MYMUSIC/2001>

That's pretty clear to me...

And by the way, they are voting like crazy over there, so we have to keep it up.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:05 PM   #7
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish:
And by the way, they are voting like crazy over there, so we have to keep it up.
Exactly!

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. I think if we ARE wrong, Bon Jovi fans ARE wrong too. But that's not the point of this thread.

My question was if you feel weird or not right about the whole thing? Because I do. I'm not trying to put myself above anyone else. I just feel this way. I guess I would be a lot happier if U2 won without me knowing of what went on.

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono
Old 11-27-2001, 08:56 PM   #8
War Child

Let me break it down for you, everyone's wrong, but we're not got sit here and let U2 get their asses kicked by BJ or DMB just hold on to our ideals. Does it feel weird? Yes of course it feels weird but I'm gonna be cracking up over popcorn as I watch BJ and DMB sitting in the Shrine while our boys kick some major ass in Miami. That will definately make it worth it.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian
Old 11-28-2001, 01:15 AM   #9
The Fly

Yup it's weird .. i never though it would get so out of hand ... and if I had waited a few days no one would know.

VH1 has apparently fixed the matter ... btw the program no longer works so they must have done something. (and i don't think it would have been to hard for them to find the votes)

I probably could modify it to try to make it work, but there isn't much time left and I really can't be bothered.

.kevM - Vote U2
------------
Old 11-28-2001, 01:43 AM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by KevM:
Yup it's weird .. i never though it would get so out of hand ... and if I had waited a few days no one would know.

VH1 has apparently fixed the matter ... btw the program no longer works so they must have done something. (and i don't think it would have been to hard for them to find the votes)

I probably could modify it to try to make it work, but there isn't much time left and I really can't be bothered.

So wait KevM, do we know if they did anything about the BJ and DMB multiple votes?

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian
Old 11-28-2001, 01:47 AM   #11
you are what you is

people will always cheat in polls like this

so who cares?

who even thinks that there's one poll out there that hasn't been messed with?

I say we go kick some Bon jovi butt
even without autovoter

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 11-28-2001, 03:20 AM   #12
Acrobat

Anyone regret how we cheated though?

------------------
You think you know me
Old 11-28-2001, 03:30 AM   #13
War Child

We all cheated. BJ fans. DMB fans. Fuckin' Britney Spears fans. Anyways we all cheat at one time or another. Don't make such a big deal about it.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:33 AM   #14
The Fly

Well is U2 WINNING?
Old 11-28-2001, 03:36 AM   #15
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by baker6621:
We all cheated. BJ fans. DMB fans. Fuckin' Britney Spears fans. Anyways we all cheat at one time or another. Don't make such a big deal about it.
LOL, I'm not making a big deal about it. I just feel a little weird about the whole thing. I was just wondering if anyone else felt like I did.

I know we had the best intentions, that is to see our favorite band win. I just don't feel right about it. Again, sorry if I offend any of you.

------------------
You think you know me
Old 11-28-2001, 03:44 AM   #16
you are what you is

wow, cheating on the internet
really???

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it