The ATYCLB > HTDAAB club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:

You say this and yet you get all upset when anyone says they don't like COBL, MD, Yahweh, etc.

I'll go on the record as saying I'd rather listen to any of those songs you listed than anything on Bomb.

I think ATYCLB is that much better than Bomb.

You see namkcuR I don't spend my entire life posting, over and over,the same opinion on ATYCLB, that's the difference between us. I don't like the second side but I don't get obsessed about it. :wink:

BigMacPhisto said:

all relatively new sounding for U2...........

Relatively - BD is new ("teach me" riff reminds me of IWF, Edge borrows from himself yet no complaints), Stuck, IALW, Wild honey and Grace. Maybe POE too.

Elevation sounds like the 90's, Walk on (hello One tree hill riff) and Kite borrow from the 80's (for some reason that wasn't a problem back then), New York verse guitar could have been from UF and chorus guitar from AB. WILATW guitar sounds like something Edge in the 90's would come up with.

As for production: yes, more even than Bomb which more than anything was recorded too loud (well yeah, they had the same producers all the time). I feel Adam is way too low in the mix, and the the production is so poppy.
Take Elevation: it should sound more like the Tomb Raider mix; or Walk on (single version), or WILATW (it's like the keyboards are saying "pop" and the guitar in the background and chorus is saying "rock". which is it?) I think POE has a strange choice of music to the lyrics - too Christmas-like - should be far more agressive as Larry's drums are suggesting. And like so many of U2's rockers, New York comes across flat on the album.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Elevation sounds like the 90's

If you mean a plain vanilla watered down version that no longer sounds like the 90s, then I agree with you. I like how some people consider Elevation to be the Pop influenced song in ATYCLB. Pop will beat the shit out of Elevation and steal it's lunch money. :wink: I'd like to know if Elevation was any different at all in it's beginning stages. Does anybody know if there is an Elevation demo out there?

Zootlesque said:

Is there any such thing as a bad opinion? :scratch:

Yes, CRIME being a good thing for society is a bad opinion. :scratch:

I would have to say that Wild Honey & New York being > to HTDAAB is equally ridiculous..

roy said:
Yes, CRIME being a good thing for society is a bad opinion. :scratch:

:rolleyes: I was talking strictly about music of course! There is no such thing as 'bad opinion' in music.

roy said:
I would have to say that Wild Honey & New York being > to HTDAAB is equally ridiculous..

You talk shit about some of us passing off our opinion as fact and yet you do the same thing with the above statement.

Zootlesque said:

:rolleyes: I was talking strictly about music of course! There is no such thing as 'bad opinion' in music.

You talk shit about some of us passing off our opinion as fact and yet you do the same thing with the above statement.

Mate, I don't have any problem with you or fellow members of the 'vocal minority' expressing your opinion.. It's just that after 24 months of repeating over & over (dare is say self-indulging) & over the same supressing opinion it makes the forum quite predicatable, which in a sense is quite ironic.

Last edited:
roy said:

Mate, I don't have any problem with you or fellow members of the 'vocal minority' expressing your opinion.. It's just that after 24 months of repeating over & over (dare is say self-indulging) & over the same supressing opinion it makes the forum quite predicatable, which in a sense is quite ironic.

I don't get it. People that love HTDAAB have as much power of posting their opinions as those that hate it!... or even those that like it but don't love it! (where I fall) It's not like the 'vocal minority' has greater posting power or clout or anything. Then why the compaints against them? And nobody's stopping anybody from making threads bashing Zooropa, Passengers and Pop endlessly forever and praising ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I pretty much post my opinion only if the subject has already been brought up by somebody. Sometimes I do start threads on this 'delicate' subject but I wouldn't start, say, one thread today and another one on the same subject 2 days later and say the same thing over and over again. Now that would be doing what you're talking about.

U2girl said:
I think POE has a strange choice of music to the lyrics - too Christmas-like - should be far more agressive as Larry's drums are suggesting.

"The bombing in Omagh traumatized the whole country," he says of the incident, which killed more than two dozen people including many children. "People were weeping openly on the street. They read all the names on the radio at 6 p.m. and all traffic stopped.
"There was a real stink in the air that Christmas in Dublin and Belfast. Children's choirs were on the pavement singing about peace on Earth, but it sounded out of tune."
"That's the context that 'Peace on Earth' was written in," he says, plainly, of the album's most shockingly cynical song. "It was written from exactly that place. Literally on the day of the Omagh bomb. And the despair. And not just the lives that had been destroyed but the peace process and all these things... it was a joke. And then following through at Christmas, children singing 'Peace on earth, goodwill to all mankind' and you just think, 'Shut the f--k up.' Y'know? That's how people felt. I know Ali did. I didn't, and I don't know why, but I wrote their song. That thing of 'How could you talk about that? F--k off.' But I think the brave ones are the ones that drown it out, with a bigger noise, with a bigger idea. I don't think they're often stars. They're often mothers, firemen, working people who get on with their lives."
It was really a trauma for most people. Because not only was it the destruction of the lives it was a destruction of the peace process, which had been put together with sticky tape and glue and tacks and a lot of faith. It seemed it was destroyed. It would be hard to describe to people who were not Irish what that felt like that day. It was certainly the lowest day in my life, outside of personal losses. I couldn't believe it, that people could do that. At that time. That Christmas, the whole 'peace on earth, goodwill to all men' struck a sour note. It was very hard to be a believer that Christmas.

:bono:

Last edited:
:hmm: :corn:

This is all very interesting ..... Very very indeed

Can't wait for the the JT > AB thread ........ or AB > JT ...... Coz In fact I don't even know which club I would be in

Bout the discussion , well I think you've noticed I'm an Bomb lover and very happy deffender ..... but I love ATYCLB as well , I won't come here to bash it in order to praise/deffend Bomb so I would say they feel like , the two Spidey movies for me , both different , but fantastic .....

:hyper: Ha Got an idea , instead of the album disc/fight , Why not a Vertigo Tour X Elevation T discussion , though I don't see specially coz of the places visited Elevation could won , don't see it a lot of people prefering it , save from the US people or some europeans visited in 2001 ....... :hmm:

Last edited:
roy said:

You were saying your "you can say whatever you want but HTDAAB is better anyway"-statements are not predictable? :eyebrow:
You're talking about "suppressing opinion" and yet you have an opinion yourself which you try to present as fact, thereby suppressing everyone elses opinions.
LikeNoOneBefore said:

Do we get jackets?! :wink:
No, we could make ATYCLB > HTDAAB t-shirts though. Like

<image of ATYCLB suitcase> <"is bigger than" symbol> <image of Vertigo circles>

:wink:

Zootlesque said:

If you mean a plain vanilla watered down version that no longer sounds like the 90s, then I agree with you. I like how some people consider Elevation to be the Pop influenced song in ATYCLB.

I mean what I said. Don't twist my words. Care to point any other ATYCLB song that sounds as much or more like 90's U2 and Pop for that matter? I don't see it, even though you act like your opinion is fact. I also remember reading ATYCLB reviews pointing out Elevation being the link to the previous decade, your condescending last line aside.

Guill, I'm aware of the sentiment behind the song. I still think the pretty music doesn't fit with the stark lyrics (which are my favorite off ATYCLB).

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I mean what I said. Don't twist my words. Care to point any other ATYCLB song that even remotely sounds like 90's U2 and Pop for that matter? I don't see it, even though you act like your opinion is fact. I didn't care for the condescending tone of the last sentence in your post either.

Okay, lighten up! Geez! I didn't mean it in a condescending way. It's just that Elevation is so light weight and fluffy, it reminds me of nothing on Pop. Now Peace On Earth on the other hand.. esp. the lyrics remind me of Pop.

IMO!!!

how can something remind you of POP in your opinion?

that makes no sense at all

I think Elevation might actually be heavier and deeper than 83% of POP but that people just don't get it

Salome said:
how can something remind you of POP in your opinion?

that makes no sense at all

I know. Just wanted to add those three letters, IMO cos people are so damn touchy here!

Maybe we should all make it a part of our signarture so our opinions will never come off as facts! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom