The ATYCLB > HTDAAB club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the first side of ATYCLB, I really do, but side two is one of the weakest on any U2 album IMO. HTDAAB is much more consistent and as an 'entire' album, much more enjoyable to listen do.

ATYCLB is one of my favourite U2 albums. Loved it first time I heard it. I really don't get why people bash it while saying '...Atomic Bomb' is one of U2's best albums when it really sounds like a band stuck in a bit of a rut and wasting a bloody great oppurtunity! :(

When I Look at the World gets my thumbs up!

roy said:
I love the first side of ATYCLB, I really do, but side two is one of the weakest on any U2 album IMO. HTDAAB is much more consistent and as an 'entire' album, much more enjoyable to listen do.

If ATYCLB had kept up the momentum from BD, Stuck, Kite, IALW...I feel after IALW, New York keeps the B-side together. It's one of my most listened to albums - apart from 3 songs - but it isn't consistent and more than any other album it's a "collection of songs". I wish they had gone the pop album-idea all the way and put on Levitate and Summer rain instead of WILATW and POE which I think turn the mood too much on the downside. (Ideally Falling at your feet closing instead of Grace - why can't Bono sing it like "she carries the world on her hips" verse the whole time?)
In contrast Bomb finds one of the best solutions to, it seems, the eternal "song 7" crossroad on U2's albums. Crumbs, One step closer, OOTS - all above average stuff, and while U2 hasn't had a great closer since LIB (maybe Wanderer), Yahweh, despite the unnecessary chorus yelling, manages to end on a solid note.

I wouldn't say Bomb and ATYCLB are the same or that "Bomb is what ATYCLB wanted to be". ATYCLB is U2 going pop, "singles" direction and despite some of the songs in the latter part of the album, their most uplifting record.
Bomb is, no more and no less, U2 being comfortable being U2 - in a way it compressed their career into one album, musically. Lyrically there are similar themes but I think Bomb is still less "happy". And it has more Edge to it.

Lastly, I disagree about Bomb's "sum of its parts" problems that people, including Bono, put forth. There's the "journey from fear to faith", and a fairly strong thematic link of a lot of the songs dealing with Bono's reaction to losing his father and facing a post 9/11 world.

Last edited:
ATYCLB is a fantastic album, Bomb is a good album. I'll take ATYCLB all day. Oh, and both are light years better than Zooropa.

roy said:

I feel the same way. After IALW the band put the pedal on cruise control. And "Peace On Earth" is so :barf: . HTDAAB is one of the, if not the strongest side two they have.

HTDAAB had more of that U2 feel to it. Simple songs but songs like COBL, LPOE, OOTS, Sometimes.., and even Vertigo have a certain magic to them. Like you can find something new and fresh in them every time you listen.

Doctorwho: “In fact, I think the best album would have been a nice blending of the "best" songs on both.”

1. City Of Blinding Lights (Chicago DVD Version)
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Version)
3. Vertigo
4. Beautiful Day
5. All Because Of You (Single Version)
6. Walk On (Single Version w/ Hallelujahs)
7. Original Of Species (Single Version)
8. Sweetest Thing
9. A Man And A Woman
10. Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version)
11. Falling At Your Feet
12. Yahweh

U2Soar said:
Doctorwho: “In fact, I think the best album would have been a nice blending of the "best" songs on both.”

1. City Of Blinding Lights (Chicago DVD Version)
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Version)
3. Vertigo
4. Beautiful Day
5. All Because Of You (Single Version)
6. Walk On (Single Version w/ Hallelujahs)
7. Original Of Species (Single Version)
8. Sweetest Thing
9. A Man And A Woman
10. Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version)
11. Falling At Your Feet
12. Yahweh

Move some stuff around and you may have something there, but any set with OOTS is a set I'm just not going to agree with. :wink: At least half of that is slow, too, and it's all bunched together...

Plus, I'm getting tired of people trying to compare ATYCLB and HTDAAB by calling them locked at the hip, or whatever. They're very different albums; why don't you just combine JT and War while you're at it? :huh:

Here's a good combination I came up with, that may or may not pertain to this conversation: MDH and Passengers combined; soundtrack, and a pretend soundtrack!

1. Ground Beneath Her Feet
2. Your Blue Room
3. Stateless
4. Always Forever Now
5. Falling At Your Feet
6. Theme From The Swan
7. Never Let Me Go
8. Dancin' Shoes
9. Slug
10. A Differen't Kind Of Blue
11. Beach Sequence
12. Miss Sarajevo

:hmm:

Anybody that thinks U2 didnt put preasure on themselves to make sure that ATYCLB suceeded is kidding themselves. If it didnt do as well as it did I dont think they would be around today and it may very well have been the final album. They are both great albums and in U2s top 5 for sure.

ATYCLB is one of my favourite U2 albums, it feels like such a complete album, and always makes me fell better after listening to it. HTDAAB on the other hand is an album with no weak or average songs in my mind but it just doesn't feel the way ATYCLB does, it's a group of great songs but nothing more. In my mind despite HTDAAB probably having better songs, ATYCLB is a much better album, with such brilliant songs as Stuck in a moment, Walk on, In a little while, Peace on earth etc.

doctorwho said:

While there's truth in what you wrote, I always find that Edge's music often goes with Bono's lyrics (or perhaps the other way around). Regardless, the two flow. "Elevation" is indeed a light-hearted rocking song musically, but lyrically its simplicity is deceiving. Talk about a "mole digging in a hole" makes the song sound like superficial pop, but really, it's about spiritual enlightenment. Musically, I find this true as well. The "wah wah" pedal is used to great effect, emphasizing this spiritual elevation as the song grows and builds.

A look at "Vertigo" sees a similar pattern. A light rock song or one that is really multi-layered? Again, I think lyrically and musically, the song shows a growth and a spiritual build up. They are both songs about discovery and spiritual renewal. One can hear this not just in the lyrics, but in the music itself. This is why they are such fan favorites in concert - they songs are joyous!

Are there dark songs on HTDAAB? "Love and Peace" sure is, but then, isn't "New York" on ATYCLB - a song that also is musically darker? And "Peace on Earth" and "Grace" seem softer, but then, isn't "Yahweh" also the same?

It's clear these two albums are very related with similar themes both musically and lyrically. Even the stage design and overall clothing was similar with the two tours. The albums are connected. If "Bomb" seems darker, that could be due to more of one's personal perceptions of the work than what U2 intended. I actually find joy in the early part of ATYCLB, but great sadness in the second half. "Bomb" seems a far more level CD, keeping me reflective and even hopeful throughout.

I agree with a lot of what you said. There's some deeper stuff going on that probably is missed by some people. It's like Bono said, "it's there for people who are interested in it."

++++++++++++++++++++

Quite the opposite Jras, sorry I can't yet get in the habit of calling you by your screenname here, I feel that ATYCLB is the darker album lyrically, and as Drwho stated, the music tends to follow the lyrics. Aside from 'Beautiful Day' 'Walk On' 'Wild Honey' and 'Grace,' it's not the pop and fluff album some claim it to be.

Atomic Bomb, sounds more 'up' and lighter. Not to use cliche's but it's more uplifting. City of Blinding Lights, I've read many criticisms of it, but listen to the chorus, how Edge and Adam's instruments ascend as Bono does that "ooh ooh ooooh oooooh."

I can listen to Atomic Bomb almost start to finish except for 'Crumbs.' Still not clicking with me.

ATYCLB, I tend to skip around. For awhile, due to some personal problems, I couldn't listen to "Kite" without feeling like I was going to burst into tears. Something struck a chord with me, (pardon the pun).

Real names of people killed in a bombing, in "Peace on Earth."

"When I look at the World," is not top 40, adult contemporary material.

Adam's bass playing is different on ATYCLB compared to Atomic Bomb. Or maybe Lillywhite brings up the bass more in the mix than Eno. :shrug:

Nothing like "A Man & a Woman" on ATYCLB, where the bass has a much stronger role in the song, then say, New York, where only live versions do him any justice. If I recall, you mentioned how much better "Beautiful Day" is live on Adam's part.

++++++++

Back to original topic

I'll be leaving this thread now, I'm not a member of this club, except I do agree their prior 2 albums should not be grouped the way they commonly are.

Boy:October::Achtung Baby:Zooropa (sorta)

Boy:October-//-ATYCLB:Atomic Bomb.

Now where's the "War is my fave album" club...oh right, I'm the only member.

Last edited:
The Australian version also has Ground Beneath Her Feet. Salmond Rushdie lyrics!
I really think they should've added Electrical Storm as a bonus track to Atomic bomb.

thrillme said:

Atomic Bomb, sounds more 'up' and lighter.
I can't see it. Beautiful Day is quite possible the "lightest" song U2 ever wrote, and there's literally nothing more "up" than Elevation.
socceroo said:

I really think they should've added Electrical Storm as a bonus track to Atomic bomb.
I don't think so. Electrical Storm belongs to the ATYCLB-era. I can't see it fitting on HTDAAB.

WalkOn21 said:
I can't see it. Beautiful Day is quite possible the "lightest" song U2 ever wrote, and there's literally nothing more "up" than Elevation.

I mean overall, as an album, I find Atomic Bomb more up, while ATYCLB, more down.

Both have their dark and light songs but overall.

*exits thread*

This is a great club. Like its founder, I have ears. :wink:

C'mon though, there's not a single bad song on ATYCLB and its all relatively new sounding for U2...........HTDAAB is mostly "been there, done that"......

BigMacPhisto said:

C'mon though, there's not a single bad song on ATYCLB and its all relatively new sounding for U2...........HTDAAB is mostly "been there, done that"......
Except for A Man and A Woman - the only song on HTDAAB that (imo) doesn't sound like anything U2 have done before.

Ironically, this is the one song most HTDAAB-lovers don't like. :D

I just listened to ATYCLB again all the way through, like this:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On(Hallelujah Mix)
Stuck In A Moment
Kite
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

And it was really, really good.

Even Wild Honey, which gets slagged a lot around here - it's infectiously catchy.

BigMacPhisto said:
This is a great club. Like its founder, I have ears. :wink:

Absolutely.

BigMacPhisto said:

C'mon though, there's not a single bad song on ATYCLB and its all relatively new sounding for U2...........

Elevation,
Wild Honey,
Peace on Earth,
New York,
Grace

All weak songs (by U2 standards) IMO.

roy said:

Elevation,
Wild Honey,
Peace on Earth,
New York,
Grace

All weak songs (by U2 standards) IMO.

You say this and yet you get all upset when anyone says they don't like COBL, MD, Yahweh, etc.

I'll go on the record as saying I'd rather listen to any of those songs you listed than anything on Bomb.

I think ATYCLB is that much better than Bomb.

I think the bottomline is that

a. Some people here like familiar sounds and so prefer HTDAAB.

and

b. Some don't and prefer ATYCLB.

I started out loving the Bomb a lot more than ATYCLB. Over time, I found myself preferring the somewhat understated production and melodies of Lanois Eno to the bombast of Lillywhite. That's the reason I like songs like Peace On Earth a lot! I think production is the #1 fault of HTDAAB. Cos deep inside the album lie some beautiful songs like Crumbs (just listen to the HQ version) and OOTS.

While it's true that ATYCLB contains songs that are weaker than anything on Bomb. I'm thinking of New York (easily the weakest song on ATYCLB) and to some degree Wild Honey, which has an awful intro, although the melody is OK, I regard ATYCLB as a better album than HTDAAB. The really fine songs and highlights on ATYCLB surpasses everything on Bomb. Bomb doesn't contain a riff like the one in Walk On, a melody like the one in Kite, charming melodic guitars like the ones in In a Little While, that U2 have never played with before. If we compare the main ballad of the two albums, Stuck In Moment to Sometimes You Cannot Make It On Your Own, there's absolutely no competition in my opinion. While Stuck In Moment (regardless of all the hatred it is exposed to in here) flows naturally, SYCMIOYO seems forced and struggling. Just listen to the rather annoying hopping between two notes during the chorus.

SYCMIOYO is Stuck In a Moment's ugly little brother.

Back
Top Bottom