The album with the best lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn. And all this time I enjoyed listening to Pop I thought it was just because it was a good album. Now that I realize it is a clearly inferior work, I might as well feed it to my cat. I'll get rid of all my Popmart boots while I'm at it.

OK I lied again. I'm staying around for your sake Skeek. You must not have read my posts. I clearly stated that if you like it that's fine, I don't care, but to not let your personal opinions get in the way of accurate placements and the truth. Like I said JT is my favorite but I think honestly it's only 4th place lyrically. Pop has some pretty lame ass lyrics and that disqualifies it compared to U2's other greater work. Pop has a few good songs but the inferior outweighs them when you look at the entire picture, really now, look at every album as a complete picture. I don't care if you like Pop, hell no, but for so many people to try to pass it off as top 3 in U2's catalog is utterly ridiculous.

SIGH- I'm sure somewhere there are people who would argue the lyrical greatness of Destiny's Child's 'Survivor.' Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine but when passing judgement more things than our own taste and enjoyment should be considered.

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 11-13-2001).]

I love when people come up with ultra-descriptive phrases like "lame ass" to explain why they consider something to be undesirable

--------
baby's always attracted to... the things she's afraid of

How many people think Dr Seuss is lyrically superior to John Milton? If they did would they be stupid ignoramuses?

I have no idea. I'm going to stay out of this crazy thread from now on.

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
SIGH- I'm sure somewhere there are people who would argue the lyrical greatness of Destiny's Child's 'Survivor.' Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine but when passing judgement more things than our own taste and enjoyment should be considered.

And if we're not supposed to use our opinions when passing judgement, what are we supposed to use? Musical judgements are based purely on opinion, not some fact. There isn't some law stating that U2 are great, and no law stating that POP is inferior. Sheesh, I'm not usually one to flame, but pull your head out from wherever it is and accept the fact that I and others love POP and believe it is a great album musically and lyrically. If you think that's ridiculous, well I really don't give a rat's ass. But please don't insult our musical tastes and talk to us in a condescending manner. That, to me, is what's ridiculous.

------------------
Change is the only constant

[This message has been edited by Foxxern (edited 11-13-2001).]

1. Achtung Baby, of course
2. Pop

Yes, POP, also. I always thought that album was great lyrically. Staring at the Sun, If God will Send His Angels, Last Night On Earth, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, etc etc.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but:

Do any of you know the Myth of the Cavern by Plato (if not, you need to read more
tongue.gif
)

Then listen to Staring at the Sun. I think that's what the song is all about, and it's a really great metaphor...

3. The Joshua Tree (Streets, Bullet, One Tree Hill...)

BUT, U2's best song, lyrically, isn't in AB, Pop or JT, it's in Zooropa, in my opinion.

The Wanderer

Incredible lyrics.

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Wow all of this is very funny indeed, from what I am understanding if one is to assume that Pop is lyrically great than one must not be a true U2 fan or someone who is only recent to the band, what a bloody joke!!!! In my opinion and I will state that I have been a huge U2 fan since 1988, I think that Pop has some great music on it, the lyrics to Gone are some of the best that Bono has ever done, but at the same time I also really dont like other songs on the album, but everyone has their own subjectivity and to lable someone not a U2 fan just because they happen to like a particular album is just wrong..........

Oh, that's so hard, all of U2's albums are great, except POP which SUCKS!

biggrin.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 11-13-2001).]

Originally posted by OzAurora:
Wow all of this is very funny indeed, from what I am understanding if one is to assume that Pop is lyrically great than one must not be a true U2 fan or someone who is only recent to the band, what a bloody joke!!!!

Just in case that was intended for me...not that I'm assuming that or anything...

The comment about a lot of recent fans liking Pop did not mean that recent fans are not real fans. (what is all this crap about real fans versus not-real fans anyway??) What I meant was that people often love the album that introduced them to the band, and in the case of many people here that was Pop, or maybe it was the first album that came out after they were already a fan, or something. (That was actually the case for me.) Obviously if Pop was what made you a fan, you like it. Certainly there are people here who have been fans since the early 90's or before the 90's and who love Pop. My guess is, however, that the majority of people who put Pop in their top three or whatever became U2 fans no earlier than 1991 or so. And many of them later. And a lot of those people don't seem to have a lot of appreciation for, say, a little album called October.

I know plenty of major U2 fans who like Pop. What I have a problem with is the people who say "Pop is so heavy and deep that only the people who prefer the shallow 80's stuff don't like it. They're the ones who aren't true U2 fans." And believe me, I have seen that view expressed too often for comfort. It's certainly more common than "If you don't like U2's first two albums, you're not a real fan because that's what they're really all about, it's where they came from" or something.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 11-13-2001).]

There's no need trying to reason with them or explain anything to them. Let's get out of here. Think how much fun it will be to see this thread drop like a ton of lead when they have no one to rag on!

I'm sure all of you who make these sweeping generalizations about what U2 fans do and don't like have done extensive research and polling, thus being able to pinpoint the tastes and whims of all fans to substantiate your claims
rolleyes.gif

Here are my choices! I ranked them on what I LIKE not what I SHOULD like to please the "masses!"
wink.gif
Its all about what lyrics and songs MOVES YOU! Just because certain song touches you so profound and others make think it "sucks" who gives a *you know what*
smile.gif
Yah know?
wink.gif

Anywho ...

1. Achtung Baby - I freakin' LOVE all the songs and the lyrics are just pure genius!

2. Joshua Tree - Perfection!

3. POP - I love this album! I agree its really underrated! But the lyrics are just amazing! I mean "Gone," "staring at the sun," "MOFO", "PLEASE", "IGWSHA".. LAST "NIGHT ON EARTH"....... Wonderful!!

Sheek and Foxxern and OzA I totally AGREE with you 100%!! God knows you guys make so MUCH Sense!
wink.gif
Its impossible to argue with people with such mentality! Believe me I've tried!
biggrin.gif
Why must everything involved into some sort of childish behavior when it comes to anything that has to do with POP? Geez! But really who cares what you like, we are nobody to say that this album is INFERIOR and put other people's choices down! What IGNORANCE!!!

*leaves this thread scared*
biggrin.gif

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 11-13-2001).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
To each their own. I just think that sometimes the POP admirers can get waaayyy too superior.
I still agree with scatteroflight on the POP issue

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I'm sure all of you who make these sweeping generalizations about what U2 fans do and don't like have done extensive research and polling, thus being able to pinpoint the tastes and whims of all fans to substantiate your claims
rolleyes.gif

So true Wanderer! Certain people always talk about how if you do polls no one will like this and BLAH! Or how no one they talk to like this and BLAH!

Anywho, BLAH!
icon25.gif

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Achtung Baby- excellent, from One's feeling to Ultraviolet's power and all the rest, it runs the gamut of styles and emotions -this has to be the top dog.

ATYCLB- With wisdom, experience and compassion, U2 pours out their hearts. I appreciate it more every day.

The Unforgettable Fire- Very beautiful and descriptive, very passionate. Way too underated and unappreciated. Have some of you who weren't around for the 80's ride really even listened to it?!

Originally posted by Seconds:
I'm surprised everyone is picking POP as one of their top albums. I always thought POP was a waste of U2's musical and lyrical talent.

I thought people who liked POP were fans who would pretend to like anything U2 put out.

Maybe I'm wrong. I should probably give it another listen.

No, Seconds, you are NOT wrong! Thanks for being the kid in the Emperor's New Clothes who can see this and tells it like it is!!

I totally see where you're coming from! LMAO at Pop ranking so high, give me a break, some people must just be concentrating on WUDM and IGWSHA, and now Please. Look at the album as a whole- the silliness of Discotheque, and the lameness of Miami and Playboy Mansion rival of surpass the output of some 'crap' bands. There is so much sorry lyrical work on that album it borders on disgracefulness for a band of U2's abilities.

I know some of you are really stuck on it and defend it to the end, but come on, as a WHOLE, Pop is the weakest link of lyrical work, behind only 'Boy' IMO, and that isn't fair to compare because they were so young then. Pop was written by veteran rock stars in their late 30's, no excuses. Please don't just pick the ones you are hung up on. I'm stuck on JT but I didn't rank it in my top 3 because I thought the others were better. I realize not everyone likes the same things, and I have no problem with people listening to whatever they like best, but to put Pop in the top 3 of U2's work is a complete farce! Rant over, and I don't care who flames me. I stand behind every word I say.

OK - POP is a classic U2 album. Yes, I don't listen to every song but these are up there as awesome U2 songs:

Disctotheque, Do you Feel Loved, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring AT The Sun, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Please, WAKE UP DEAD MAN.

That's 8 awesome songs out of 11 or 12. That's very good. Stop dissing pop. I mean just listen to WUDM with the lights off, as high as it can go.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby (very close behind)
3. UF.. love the rambling dreaminess.

Honorable Mention: Pop. Just to piss of U2kitten. Oh, and because it actually does have really good lyrics. Including Discotheque.

I don't care too much for the directness of the ATYCLB's lyrics, but they're still good.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 11-13-2001).]

Originally posted by SkeeK:
1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby (very close behind)
3. UF.. love the rambling dreaminess.

Honorable Mention: Pop. Just to piss of U2kitten. Oh, and because it actually does have really good lyrics. Including Discotheque.
-----------

This is a typical example of what I mean. I think some people are just hung up on it and will defend it to the end and don't want to see it dissed (no matter how much it deserves it) and will put it on the list just to make a statement or 'piss someone off.' So you like it, so what. I don't care, but REALLY now, to put it LYRICALLY in the top 3 (or 4) is inaccurate and extreme considering their history and catalong. I bet even the band would think so! You don't have to declare 'it sucks' to admit it is not among the top 3! Yeesh people come on!

Remember- this is not a contest for your favorites, it's an honest question about ranking lyrical work. Pop just doesn't measure up to U2's great track record otherwise. Seconds asked a question and apparently was a surprised by some of your responses as I was.

Prediction- 27 more people will now put it in the top 3 just to 'piss me off.'
biggrin.gif

BTW Skeek "rambling dreaminess" is a fine and beautiful way to describe UF!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
rolleyes.gif
that's why I've had it with posts exclaiming that POP is such a brilliant album that anyone who doesn't agree with this (I think it's a good album, but great -- no) obviously isn't able to 'grasp' it

personal favorites lyrically:
1. Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. October

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

1. Achtung Baby!
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop

------------------
Is there a time to run for cover
A time for kiss and tell
Is there a time for different colours
Different names you find it hard to spell

My final word on this: (maybe
wink.gif
)

Thank you Salome! Wanderer, you bring up the subject of polling. An extensive anonymous poll of about 3500 U2 fans was done online earlier this year. AB won, JT was second, and POP and October failed to scratch the 1% mark in the 'best album' category. Now even if it were someone's second or third, it should have done better than that.

I add to this the fact that POP was U2's worst selling album since they achieved superstardom, and less sales would probably mean fewer fans liked it. Now don't start throwing crap at me about how 'N'SYNC sell a lot and Jeff Buckley sold few so that doesn't mean anything,' it DOES with U2 because we are comparing U2 albums against each other as to how well they went over with other U2 fans, so leave the apples and oranges out of this.

I also add that after attending several Elevation concerts, I noticed that if and when a Pop song was played, it always got the least response from the crowd, and much of the audience seemed perplexed for the first minute or so. Compare this to the rousing cheers NYD or SBS bring, or the overwhelming cheer that goes up when Streets kicks in. Some songs are diamonds, some songs are stones.

I also base my 'generalizations' on the fact that I have never personally met a Pop fan, old or young. All U2 fans I know felt that Pop was beneath U2, and yes, it is a joke to people I know. I can count several people who 'came back' to U2 when ATYCLB was released. While in the Baltimore GA line, someone had a Popmart poster hung up and I heard on at least two occasions someone walk by and say 'that sucked!' I was not sitting near it, only walking by, so it may have happened more.

I will acknowledge one thing: that Pop is very popular with a few dozen or so people here who feel the need to champion its cause, defend it and tout it to an extreme. I don't knock you all for your personal taste and opinions, I DO have a problem with it being listed so high lyrically. As Scatteroflight stated, there are a disproportionate number of Pop fans here compared to U2 fans as a whole. Remember too that THOUSANDS of U2 fans are NOT on this or any other list or forum so you don't hear them.

Exhibit 101:
"You can reach but you can't grab it...
you know you're chewing bubble gum....
you just can't get enough of that lovey dovey stuff....boom cha -let's go Discotheque!"

I am sorry but that is TRL-esque shallow silliness, not great lyrics. I mean the members of N'Sync could have actually written that themselves! Compare that to the great lyrical work of Red Hill Mining Town, Bad, WOWY, UTEOTW, One, SBS, I could go on, and I could bring up Miami too, it's worse than Discotheque. There are about 3 or 4 songs with good lyrics on Pop, but the lame crap drags it down, and when you compare it to albums that are masterpieces with all the songs being amazing, well written lyrical works, it is ridiculous to have Pop in the top 3. It's like comparing a 7-9 season to a Super Bowl Championship!

As I mentioned before, 27 people would say they liked it just to 'piss me off.' SO far only 3 have spoken up to say we don't like it, though several did not show it on their list. I think most people who want to choose something other than POP are avoiding this thread in fear of a flame war.

I challenge 80sU2isbest and all the others that don't care so much for Pop to have the balls to post here and bring this crazy disproportionate average down. If you dare!

I thought people who liked POP were fans who would pretend to like anything U2 put out.

Maybe I'm wrong. I should probably give it another listen.

OK, U2kitten has given me the courage to post my true feelings on this subject. The only reason I posted the above comment was because I didn't want to piss off anybody.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, POP sucks. Both musically and lyrically. Like it has been stated before, even the band is ashamed of POP. Although there are some great songs in the album like Gone, Staring, Please, Dead Man. For the most part it is a weak album.

Lyrically speaking, I don't think it compares to Achtung, JT, R&H, UF, War. They lost millions of fans because of POP, even some hardcore fans couldn't stand by U2 and watch them crash and burn with that album. All I can say is thank god for ATYCLB. Because if they would have put out another mediocre POP type album, they would have had no radio play, no album sales, more fans diserting them, they would have probably ended up breaking up in disgrace and most of us wouldn't even be here. I know I wouldn't it.

Those are my 2 cents.
smile.gif

Well, I don't usually get into the thick of things but since everyone is being honest I find myself drawn to post.

It seems to me that by creating these threads breeds controversy for everyone.

The world we live in is made up of INDIVIDUALS who have individual opinions - some are strong and some not so strong.

We shouldn't belittle anyone's opinion and respect it for what it is.

You know everyone talks a good talk - they say we wouldn't put anyone down for what they like - what a crock. It's totally transparent.

Well, now that I've vented I'm adding my Individual opinion on album with best lyrics.

1. Unforgettable Fire - politically charged, high motivation, good meaning
2. Achtung Baby - edgy, high energy
3. ATYCLB - throw back to older albums - great songs

just my .02 on the subject
Peace

OK, U2kitten has given me the courage to post my true feelings on this subject. The only reason I posted the above comment was because I didn't want to piss off anybody.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, POP sucks. Both musically and lyrically. Like it has been stated before, even the band is ashamed of POP. Although there are some great songs in the album like Gone, Staring, Please, Dead Man. For the most part it is a weak album.

Lyrically speaking, I don't think it compares to Achtung, JT, R&H, UF, War. They lost millions of fans because of POP, even some hardcore fans couldn't stand by U2 and watch them crash and burn with that album. All I can say is thank god for ATYCLB. Because if they would have put out another mediocre POP type album, they would have had no radio play, no album sales, more fans diserting them, they would have probably ended up breaking up in disgrace and most of us wouldn't even be here. I know I wouldn't it.

Those are my 2 cents.
smile.gif

Thank you so much Seconds! You are brave and absolutely right about everything you said! That is the way it really is. With Pop, it was like U2 had been replaced by evil robots from the future who set out to trash their careers! (I won't even bring up how ridulous they LOOKED on top of how they sounded!) You are right, if not for ATYCLB they would have been reduced to the scrap heap of rock history like so many other has-beens. BUT- because there WAS ATYCLB and many fans came back, everyone renewed their interest, and look at them now- HUGELY successful worldwide, dare I say it, THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD?! Selling out arenas, fans desperate for tickets, scalpers grabbing and selling at outrageous prices, enormously popular, legendary now and forever, their place of honor among the rock greats firmly cemented for all time! This would not have happened if U2 had not abandoned the Pop path and put out ATYCLB. That is a fact that some may not want to hear but it cannot be denied. Pop hurt their career, ATYCLB saved it. That's how history will tell the tale because that is exactly what happened.

Scary, I tell yeah some people scare me!
icon30.gif
Maybe Sheek is right, I should throw away my POP CD and all the singles with it! Its such an INFERIOR album! I have been so wrong! NYSYNC could have definitely written Discotheque OMG! (Now that is an insult and slap in the face!
biggrin.gif
) What is wrong with me!
rolleyes.gif

*throws away her POP CD, singels, and POP poster, and POP T-shirts and junk away!*

*leaves totally and completely frighten!*
eek.gif

icon23.gif

Bottom line, everyone has their OWN opinion and taste to what they feel is good to them! There are no freakin' stupid ass laws that say otherwise! Why go through the whole trouble to throw at us statistics that fans found...BLAH BLAH BLAH! Its ridiculious! Some people I have talked to HATE Achtung Baby and despite the whole MacPhisto thing!! Go Figure! Its all depends on people tastes, no one is wrong for liking what they like. If you think something sucks that is fine! Who cares! MOVE ON! I can understand that you hate something its normal! I just hate the fact that people need to tell us THAT OUR CHOICES ARE WRONG! That we shouldn't like something because of THEY STRONGLY FEEL that it SUCkS!! And then go on an on about how this and that proves that it SUCKS! BLAH! Whatever! I need to get my ass to school!
smile.gif

And I will be blasting POP all day today! This whole thing just got me in the mood!

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

As I have stated over and over again in this thread if anyone has been paying attention, everyone has the right to like whatever they like, and I have no problem with that, YEESH!

This is the point I'm trying to make here, I will use this analogy- say your favorite football team currently is 1-7. Now you have every right to like them, wear their shirts, cheer loudly for them and brag on how much you enjoy watching the players. NO ONE should make fun of you, criticize you or tell you not to like your team, it's your right and your opinion of course.

BUT- to list your team as the greatest and strongest in the league and bound for the Super Bowl based only on the fact that you like them is just plain incorrect. This was never meant to be a poll of what we like, but what is honestly U2's best work lyrically. All you have to do is read the lyrics sheets and compare. Unless, maybe some of you really do think Dr. Seuss is superior to John Milton
rolleyes.gif
icon25.gif

I've said all I can say here. Anyone who still knocks what I have to point out just plain isn't listening and doesn't want to, so why should I waste my time.
icon25.gif
rolleyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom