The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's funny that their attitude is "we'll record and release this thing as soon as U2 are done with Danger Mouse, and it will definitely be released in 2013". So, so different from U2. Frankly, I'm surprised that DM is still willing to work with U2. That's not an attack on U2's timeframe, but that timeframe is certainly unconventional.

Regardless, this seems like sort of good news. If the Black Keys seem to fully expect to make a new album in 2013 with DM, and only do so after U2's album is finished, it follows that U2's album must be released in 2013 as well. But I suppose the Black Keys could go without DM and self-produce (since it says that they would never use another producer "if [we] ever work with a producer".

progressing or stagnating? :eyebrow:

have U2 got some serious issues or what? all the talk and hype about all the material, and nothing to show for it after all this time?

they are so off the music radar now it's unreal... i don't really care either way now whether they release anything or not, at this rate...

*shrug meh indifference*

Just because DM finishes work on the next U2 album doesn't mean it will be released right away. They could shop it around to other producers, hold it until they're ready to tour again, or scrap it altogether. I think any of those options would be dumb, but I guess I'm buying in to the cynicism around here.

Or, I could just say, "yippee! 2013!" :D

Perhaps they'll kick DM off if the pressure gets too much. Right now I really don't know what the heck is up, if they're even anywhere NEAR a studio. Usually if they're recording you hear reports from HQ or Eze that there's music coming out we havent' heard before, or at least something. We've not had any proper news in months..

Any excitement I may have had for this album has completely evaporated.

For sure! The only hope I'm clinging to is that U2 pulls a fast one on us and releases their best album since Pop. Doubtful though. This is the same band that released North Star on the Transformers movie.......though their best move was not allowing that POS on the soundtrack.

*enters WTAHNN for first time in years, sees people whining, common Cobbler comment about how he isn't interested in the album*

*exits WTAHNN*

mikal said:
For sure! The only hope I'm clinging to is that U2 pulls a fast one on us and releases their best album since Pop. Doubtful though. This is the same band that released North Star on the Transformers movie.......though their best move was not allowing that POS on the soundtrack.

My hope is that the fact that the Transformers version of North Star being released was a good exercise of judgment on U2's part. I want to think that they realized that RedOne wasn't going to take them anywhere and shelved it all. Danger Mouse is a good sign. He has produced some of the best music of the past five years. And this is the band that made MOS not too long ago. I still have hope.

2013 is good, especially if they continue to stick with the same producer.

And this is the band that made MOS not too long ago. I still have hope.

MOS had as much to do with Eno/Lanois as it did with U2. When they're not around, U2 is a different band...e.g., they haven't released a good album since War (with the exception of R&H) without those two being involved.

Danger Mouse is a good producer, but I fear U2 wants him involved mostly b/c they think he can help make radio friendly hits for them.

I have a bad feeling they are as lost and directionless as they were in the period immediately following 360.

I'm more interested in a new Black Keys album than U2 right now. So I do want Danger Mouse to hurry up.

I have a bad feeling they are as lost and directionless as they were in the period immediately following 360.

yes, sticking with the same producer for an album = lost and directionless.

say what you will about them working with a different producer, but it's pretty clear that if they're still on the same path, that they do have a pretty clear direction. whether or not you like it is another story.

Keep this in mind folks,a producer doesn't compose the music, neither he/she write the lyrics.

Danger Mouse is a good producer, but I fear U2 wants him involved mostly b/c they think he can help make radio friendly hits for them.

As long as the songs are good...I'm fine with that...:)

I don't think they're lost and directionless, just uptight about the state of music and their place in it...maybe trying to hard to figure everything out, when they should just play man! :up:

say what you will about them working with a different producer, but it's pretty clear that if they're still on the same path, that they do have a pretty clear direction. whether or not you like it is another story.

Hmmm. I never said sticking with the same producer = lost and directionless. Since I can't really respond to something I never said, I won't.

I did say it was bad feeling I had...I have nothing to base it on other than some of the bands, particularly Bono's, comments post-360. I still have a feeling...and it's just a feeling...that they don't know which way they want to go yet, and are still trying to figure out their place in the current musical landscape. I'm not entirely convinced a year or more with Danger Mouse necessarily means anything at this point, and that they really are on some kind of "clear path". They've abandoned projects before.

We'll see.

Nick66 said:
Hmmm. I never said sticking with the same producer = lost and directionless. Since I can't really respond to something I never said, I won't.

I did say it was bad feeling I had...I have nothing to base it on other than some of the bands, particularly Bono's, comments post-360. I still have a feeling...and it's just a feeling...that they don't know which way they want to go yet, and are still trying to figure out their place in the current musical landscape. I'm not entirely convinced a year or more with Danger Mouse necessarily means anything at this point, and that they really are on some kind of "clear path". They've abandoned projects before.

We'll see.

I think U2's place in the current musical landscape is: they are The Rolling Stones. When both Keith and Mick were 52 years old (same as Bono now) they were releasing Stripped (1995). And they were considered dinousaurs at least since Dirty Work in 1986. The Stones embraced being a dinosaur act. Their tours are made of warhorses. Yes, they released another 2 studio albums after Stripped but they sucked. They were an excuse for the gigantic tours full of warhorses.

I think U2's place in the current musical landscape is: they are The Rolling Stones. When both Keith and Mick were 52 years old (same as Bono now) they were releasing Stripped (1995). And they were considered dinousaurs at least since Dirty Work in 1986. The Stones embraced being a dinosaur act. Their tours are made of warhorses. Yes, they released another 2 studio albums after Stripped but they sucked. They were an excuse for the gigantic tours full of warhorses.

I don't know if you can compare The Stones with U2 in this regard. The quality of RS records began to nosedive when the 2 main songwriter began to drift apart.

U2 have had no such creative rift.

Von Schloopen said:
I don't know if you can compare The Stones with U2 in this regard. The quality of RS records began to nosedive when the 2 main songwriter began to drift apart.

U2 have had no such creative rift.

From 1968 till 1983 their albums are all very good with some being perfect. In 1983 they were 40 years old. Like U2 were in 2000's ATYCLB. In 1986 they commited their worst record: Dirty Work. They were 43. U2 commited their worst record when they were 44 (HTDAAB imo). In 1989 they released a good album. And in 1994 a good, almost very good album, Voodoo Lounge. They were 51. U2 was 49 by the time of the good, almost very good NLOTH. I hope U2 knows when to stop and don't release the shitty kind of albums the Stones released after Voodoo Lounge.

I agree. I haven't been to this forum for ages but I got a link to the Black Keys article via twitter today and wanted to check if it's already discussed here.

The whining is not understandable to me, but I'm used to it here. I am not impatient concerning the new album. I'm pretty sure they are working on it and I don't need statemtents from any band members at this stage about anything concerning the new record. Just because there hasn't been any real news for a while now, it doesn't mean they are "lost" or have "issues". These comments, IMO, are ridiculous. People are projecting their general pessimism and negativity on U2, I see no reason for that. It's over-analyzing stuff and jumping to conclusions (wrong ones, probably).

Personally, I'm confident concerning the album. If they still work with DM they seem serious about keeping him as a producer and 2013 isn't that far away. I don't know much about Danger Mouse, but I know (and like) some of the stuff he did with other people. Can't wait for the U2 album. In the meantime, there's lots of other good music to listen to.

From 1968 till 1983 their albums are all very good with some being perfect. In 1983 they were 40 years old. Like U2 were in 2000's ATYCLB. In 1986 they commited their worst record: Dirty Work. They were 43. U2 commited their worst record when they were 44 (HTDAAB imo). In 1989 they released a good album. And in 1994 a good, almost very good album, Voodoo Lounge. They were 51. U2 was 49 by the time of the good, almost very good NLOTH. I hope U2 knows when to stop and don't release the shitty kind of albums the Stones released after Voodoo Lounge.

Way too focused on age. Time passing isn't why the Stones went into decline.

The rift between Jagger/Richards is.

Old people can make great records. Just look at NLOTH. Great record made by old people.

Von Schloopen said:
Way too focused on age. Time passing isn't why the Stones went into decline.

The rift between Jagger/Richards is.

Old people can make great records. Just look at NLOTH. Great record made by old people.

I'm a huge Stones fan. Brenda and Keef are not friends since 1978 when Keef recovered from the addiction and tried to regain control of the band. After the rift they made excellent records. Yes, i think age is the problem.
And by age i don't mean 49. I mean over 60. That's why i said i hope U2 knows the time to stop. The Stones didn't.
And by focusing on age i intended to compare the Stones - U2 trajectories. They are similar to me when it comes to age.

Glad to see that no new news still means that people will have the same old arguments/whines/reactions.

Which is mostly a slam at Friggin' Cobbler for letting this non-event dampen any excitement. Why was there excitement to begin with (I mean, aside from the general "I love U2 and am excited for whatever their next release will be.")? Did you think there was going to be a surprise release this year?

Like you're not going to be excited all over again when there is actual news. ;)

LuckyNumber7 said:
Random thought.

U2 and Dr. Dre would get along together so well.

Dr. Dre should produce the next U2 album.

Jack White should produce the next U2 album.

I'm a huge Stones fan. Brenda and Keef are not friends since 1978 when Keef recovered from the addiction and tried to regain control of the band. After the rift they made excellent records. Yes, i think age is the problem.
And by age i don't mean 49. I mean over 60.
And by focusing on age i intended to compare the Stones - U2 trajectories. They are similar to me when it comes to age.

Perhaps. I'm not entirely sure, I've never heard that analogy before. It's interesting.

Of course, the other Rolling Stones scenario is that at some point during 360...probably after the break...U2 became something closer to the current incarnation of the Stones...a warhorse band doing greatest hits tours and releasing mediocre albums that nostalgic critics give kind reviews to.

I'm not saying that's happened to U2...in fact, I don't believe it has...but that's the danger for this kind of band at this stage of their careers. And we all know that's their nightmare scenario.

Then there's the Rush scenario...continuing to put out good music that no one really pays attention to, to a small, but rabidly committed fan base.

Or the Sting scenario, wherein your music becomes so generically Starbucks-light inoffensive to everyone that it ends up meaning nothing (I think this is unlikely).

Who knows where U2 will end up. What they want, I believe, is the one thing that is really out of their grasp now...continued biggest band in the world status, while still putting out hugely selling albums with multiple #1 hits that get heavy radio airplay. Their precious "relevance". Since that scenario, IMO, is not realistic, they are going to have to re-imagine themselves as something else. Because I'm not sure even Danger Mouse can give them that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom