The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. The album itself got mainly good reviews, and of course it sold by the bucket-load.

The minor critical backlash that U2 experienced circa 1989 (after the album, really) was an inevitable over-exposure backlash more than it was anything to do with Rattle & Hum. If you become the biggest rock band and you're fairly outspoken (hell, even if you're not) a P.R./critical backlash is awaiting you 100% of the time, regardless of an album's merits. They had reached the end of one route by 1989, but none of this means the album itself was a "flop".

Right you are.

Nick66 said:
Rush has put out more good music than the Beatles and Stones combined.

Are the Beatles or Stones in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame?

Thought not. End of discussion.

Rush finally got a nomination for the Rock Hall of Fame few days ago. They should have been nominated a long time ago. Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals are an excellent run of albums. The combined technical proficiency of the 3 Rush members is 5 times bigger than of Beatles and Stones members combined. That's pretty much fact and non-debatable.

The combined technical proficiency of the 3 Rush members is 5 times bigger than of Beatles and Stones members combined. That's pretty much fact and non-debatable.

Eh, who cares??!! They are not even in the same ballpark of the artists you list. That is non debatable.

Nothing against Rush, I know they have a huge diehard following. I KNOW they are suppose to be great musicians also. Great, does nothing for me. I went to see them/record them a few years ago to kind of see what it was all about. I was kind of bored to be honest. I love concerts, but I kept looking at my watch to see when it would be over. I rarely do that, for any concert I'm at. :shrug:

Eh, who cares??!! They are not even in the same ballpark of the artists you list. That is non debatable.

Nothing against Rush, I know they have a huge diehard following. I KNOW they are suppose to be great musicians also. Great, does nothing for me. I went to see them/record them a few years ago to kind of see what it was all about. I was kind of bored to be honest. I love concerts, but I kept looking at my watch to see when it would be over. I rarely do that, for any concert I'm at. :shrug:

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Rush is not everyone's cup of tea.

But nothing you said was non-debatable. Sorry.

Are the Beatles or Stones in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame?

Rush isn't so great. They never got their picture on bubblegum cards, did they? Have you ever seen their picture on a bubblegum card? Hmmm? How can you say a someone is great who's never had their picture on bubblegum cards?

images-1.jpg

Well, this discussion is not as depressing as over on @U2, where they're discussing all that they've accomplished in their lives since the release of NLOTH. Though maybe not quite as entertaining.

Rush finally got a nomination for the Rock Hall of Fame few days ago. They should have been nominated a long time ago. Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals are an excellent run of albums. The combined technical proficiency of the 3 Rush members is 5 times bigger than of Beatles and Stones members combined. That's pretty much fact and non-debatable.

even if that happens to be true......

.... The Beatles song writing abilities (whether Lennon-McCartney or Harrision, or even songs where John or Paul weremost dominant in shaping the music/lyrics) is astounding from incredible pop, to Psychedelic, to some of the amazing White Album songs... plus their musianship did begin to shine by Rubber Soul.

One of the major differences between them (besides being the musical part of igniting "The Sixties") and most other bands after them is that they stopped touring ?about less than halfway through their recording career. :der:

That's why i can not say they are the best band ever since i rate both on recordings and LIVE shows.
And I prefer a Pantheon of Greatness versus strict Hierarchy.

dazzledbylight said:
even if that happens to be true......

.... The Beatles song writing abilities (whether Lennon-McCartney or Harrision, or even songs where John or Paul weremost dominant in shaping the music/lyrics) is astounding from incredible pop, to Psychedelic, to some of the amazing White Album songs... plus their musianship did begin to shine by Rubber Soul.

One of the major differences between them (besides being the musical part of igniting "The Sixties") and most other bands after them is that they stopped touring ?about less than halfway through their recording career. :der:

That's why i can not say they are the best band ever since i rate both on recordings and LIVE shows.
And I prefer a Pantheon of Greatness versus strict Hierarchy.

You're preaching to the choir here. I very much prefer both The Beatles and The Stones (and Pink Floyd, and Jimi Hendrix etc etc etc) to Rush. I absolutely LOVE The Beatles. But Rush is a great band that made some fine records. i'm more of a casual Rush fan or something like that. But i recognise they deserve a place in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. And it's a fact that all 3 Rush members are genius in their instruments (not counting the voice of Geddy Lee as an "instrument", please).

Rachel D. said:
Hey, if you all want to tear yourselves away from talking about off-topic crap for a second, @U2 has some delicious rumors that basically agree with what the pessimists around here have been saying:

Column: off the record ..., vol. 12-535

Album late 2013, tour in 2014.

To me, that seems to be becoming the optimistic viewpoint around here.

Two months ago:

Why Rush is better than U2

Two hours ago:

Why Rush is better than The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined

We seriously need some news.

Hey man, why are we talking about The Beatles and The Stones instead of U2?

That's it, I'm outta here, heading over to the Canadian Music Hall of Fame member Rush forums. At least they have a new record out.

See you cats when there's a new "remaster".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom