The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick66 said:
Perhaps. I'm not entirely sure, I've never heard that analogy before. It's interesting.

Of course, the other Rolling Stones scenario is that at some point during 360...probably after the break...U2 became something closer to the current incarnation of the Stones...a Warhorse band doing Greatest Hits tours and releasing mediocre albums that nostalgic critics give kind reviews to.

I'm not saying that's happened to U2...in fact, I don't believe it has...but that's the danger for this kind of band at this stage of their careers.

Then there's the Rush scenario...continuing to put out good music but to a small, but rabidly committed fan base.

Or the Sting scenario, wherein you music becomes so Starbucks-light inoffensive to everyone that it ends up meaning nothing.

Who knows where U2 will end up. What they want, I believe, is the one thing that is really out of their grasp now...continued biggest band in the world status, while still putting out hugely selling albums with multiple #1 hits that get heavy radio airplay. Since that scenario, I believe, is not realistic, they are going to have to re-imagine themselves as something else.

The Rush scenario (and to a certain extent, the Depeche Mode scenario) is my fave. But i don't see it in U2. I see the warhorses tours scenario for them. Releasing shitty albums and fooling themselves they are still number 1.

The Rush scenario (and to a certain extent, the Depeche Mode scenario) is my fave. But i don't see it in U2. I see the warhorses tours scenario for them. Releasing shitty albums and fooling themselves they are still number 1.

The Rush scenario is my preferred as well. And may be where U2 ends up, whether by design or not.

The problem w/U2 and the Rush scenario is that they'd have to give up caring whether their songs get on the radio or not, whether their albums sell in huge numbers, and whether they are "game changers" that set the tone. In other words, they'd have to give up caring about whether they are "relevant". Rush doesn't care about these things. U2 has always cared about them deeply...in fact, defined themselves that way.

It's interesting to consider what kind of record U2 would put out w/o worrying about all that. A desire to work with Danger Mouse, talented as he is, tells me they're not there yet.

It's interesting to consider what kind of record U2 would put out w/o worrying about all that. A desire to work with Danger Mouse, talented as he is, tells me they're not there yet.

I should hope not. I look at the body of work that attitude has produced and I see one of the greatest songbooks in the history of rock.

I should hope not. I look at the body of work that attitude has produced and I see one of the greatest songbooks in the history of rock.

Indeed. You could say the same about the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and a few other bands that have been in a similar position. They produced great music as well...some of the most influential music in rock...but they had their day.

As another poster pointed out, it's partially about age at this point. That, along with a changing musical landscape make it very, very difficult for U2 to continue to be the "biggest band in the world." That already started to slip with NLOTH (in terms of sales and "relevance" I mean, not quality).

I'm not saying U2 should stop trying to be relevant and make hit records..I don't think they could if they wanted to, it's too much in their DNA. But if they are going to continue, they are going to come to terms with not being #1 anymore.

What does U2 have left to say? What do they have to inspire great music?

The band members all are happy, rich, have kids, etc. Sure, there was Africa, but even that well has creatively run dry. Why should I think Bono has something left to say that's interesting?

That's where age comes into play more than anything. All the conflicts from their younger days have been resolved.

Referring to earlier in the thread...there IS a rift in U2 and some are in denial about it. And this is a reason why some will remain puzzled about all of this.

Among other things...and because so many of you are so god damned pedantic and lack understanding of what foresight of speculative, reasoned thought looks like...refer back to January 2012. Adam is publicly saying they were a far way away from SOA. And Bono was publicly saying it was what they were going (or that he wanted them) to do next. And then several weeks later it seems they have settled on the Danger Mouse project. Now, some of you still live in 'Romanticized U2' land, where they are magically able to do what no other humans are able to do - and place all of that disagreement aside - because Boner says so - but for everyone else, I ask you - you don't think Bono's desire for X is clashing with the others desire for Y - even if they have compromised to do Z?

I believe there IS and most certainly WAS a disagreement about all of this. And I don't think it has gone away. Why would it? Oh, they love each other, they still want to be a band and put out something in 2013, but all of this bullshittery is probably going to push DM out the door before it is considered 'finished'. You can have a creative rift as collaborating artists and still have a total desire to work through it. Especially in U2, where these guys are like competitive brothers. But a creative rift is a creative rift, whether the parties still like each other or not, it's going to affect the creation, period.

I think there very well might be (because there almost has to be) a pivotal moment for U2 in the near future. Like, next 2 months. They always break around Christmas. They finished POP around then. I think they'll give this Danger Mouse thing, and I suspect he has agreed to stay - until early/mid December for a potential Spring 2013 release. But since they'll want Fall, my guess is we have a situation much like HTDAAB meets NLOTH. Where the 'come to Jesus' meeting happens and they decide to wait - and work with a more comfortable producer (Flood?) and work until June/July next year for Fall 2013.

Anyhow...I was Googling for new album news and saw that Bono and Edge attended something in Dublin the other night. So they are in Dublin. The question is - where is Brian Burton? Doesn't he have a Twitter account or something?

I do not know where Brian Burton is. On the downside, Terry Lawless seems to be in California this month.

:giggle:

Referring to earlier in the thread...there IS a rift in U2 and some are in denial about it. And this is a reason why some will remain puzzled about all of this.

Among other things...and because so many of you are so god damned pedantic and lack understanding of what foresight of speculative, reasoned thought looks like...refer back to January 2012. Adam is publicly saying they were a far way away from SOA. And Bono was publicly saying it was what they were going (or that he wanted them) to do next. And then several weeks later it seems they have settled on the Danger Mouse project. Now, some of you still live in 'Romanticized U2' land, where they are magically able to do what no other humans are able to do - and place all of that disagreement aside - because Boner says so - but for everyone else, I ask you - you don't think Bono's desire for X is clashing with the others desire for Y - even if they have compromised to do Z?

I believe there IS and most certainly WAS a disagreement about all of this. And I don't think it has gone away. Why would it? Oh, they love each other, they still want to be a band and put out something in 2013, but all of this bullshittery is probably going to push DM out the door before it is considered 'finished'. You can have a creative rift as collaborating artists and still have a total desire to work through it. Especially in U2, where these guys are like competitive brothers. But a creative rift is a creative rift, whether the parties still like each other or not, it's going to affect the creation, period.

In other words...
larrylovesbonocomet.gif

:wink:

Vlad n U 2 said:
*enters WTAHNN for first time in years, sees people whining, common Cobbler comment about how he isn't interested in the album*

*exits WTAHNN*

It's a cesspool.

corianderstem said:
Glad to see that no new news still means that people will have the same old arguments/whines/reactions.

Which is mostly a slam at Friggin' Cobbler for letting this non-event dampen any excitement. Why was there excitement to begin with (I mean, aside from the general "I love U2 and am excited for whatever their next release will be.")? Did you think there was going to be a surprise release this year?

Like you're not going to be excited all over again when there is actual news. ;)

I'm just at a stage where if U2 never release another note of music it won't bother me. This follow-up has been rumoured since a couple of months after NLOTH came out. I'm fatigued. Peef makes a good point too.

These are certainly depressing times. It's hard to say what the next chapter will be. To echoe what others have said, do they still have the tenacity to kick the shit out of each other to make songs that are not merely passable? Is it worth risking lifelong friendships, when they have already climbed Mount Everest several times? I believe creative rifts are healthy but also costly on a personal level. Maybe they don't want to pay that price any longer - and who could blame them?

lemonfly said:
These are certainly depressing times. It's hard to say what the next chapter will be. To echoe what others have said, do they still have the tenacity to kick the shit out of each other to make songs that are not merely passable? Is it worth risking lifelong friendships, when they have already climbed Mount Everest several times? I believe creative rifts are healthy but also costly on a personal level. Maybe they don't want to pay that price any longer - and who could blame them?

No one. And, at this point, after they gave us a body of work of the highest possible quality, i really doubt they can continue delivering the goods any longer.
I won't be sad if they quit now. I'll be sad if they continue releasing middle of the road stuff (like Bomb and 1/3 of NLOTH). I have many quality albums to listen from them. I've been doing it for the last 21 years and can continue to do that for another 20, 30, 40 years.

What did people expect? Bono talked about creating another Achtung Baby. The Edge said 50/50 for a record this year. I'm happy they're with Danger Mouse and look to be finishing the record with him. They've already jumped around with other producers so that's out of their system.

Wait until bad news comes up before deciding to be depressed.

No one. And, at this point, after they gave us a body of work of the highest possible quality, i really doubt they can continue delivering the goods any longer.
I won't be sad if they quit now. I'll be sad if they continue releasing middle of the road stuff (like Bomb and 1/3 of NLOTH). I have many quality albums to listen from them. I've been doing it for the last 21 years and can continue to do that for another 20, 30, 40 years.

I've always said (in the last few years) that they've already given so much they certainly don't owe us anything. I think they (meaning Bono and Edge) are creative enough that we'll probably always get music from them in some form or another. However, my preference is still, for now, U2 music. I hope they continue, and if what we get is more HTDAAB I will consider us lucky. It's an amazing album despite what the majority of Interference says. Still right up there for me.

First of all, the longer U2 spends farting around in the studio, the larger Danger Mouse's paycheck will be. I'm sure he's alright with that. Also, I'm sure that his life does not consist of Mon-Fri 8-5 working on U2's album. He and the band probably get together and work on songs for a couple weeks here, couple weeks there, etc.

It all boils down, I'm guessing, to the fact that U2 won't be ready to tour again until 2014. That's the reason they're taking it at a leisurely pace right now. Fall 2013 is the desired release date, however it could potentially be pushed back until Feb/March 2014.

I certainly don't want them releasing overcooked, middle of the road songs. But they still have it, and this is shown by some of the material on No Line (like the title track, Moment of Surrender, and Breathe). If they can keep delivering that, I'd be more than happy.

Holy shit you people are depressing. Truth is, I love U2 and no matter what they release, I'll find something to like. Looking forward to it, whenever it drops.

First of all, the longer U2 spends farting around in the studio, the larger Danger Mouse's paycheck will be.

Are you sure that's true? He may be working for a cut of album sales instead of based on time in studio.

I'd rather Cobbler released a double album of drunken Outkast covers than a new U2 album.

Am I doing this right?

If U2 releases another album with a song as good as Moment of Surrender on it, I want to hear it.

Are you sure that's true? He may be working for a cut of album sales instead of based on time in studio.

This is the typical way I understand it...and while U2's situation could be different, I don't see why that would be the case.

Most notable rock producers get a flat rate/salary up front. And often with some prestigious (or whatever term you like) artist like U2, rather than just boost the salary, the producer gets his flat rate and the artists will toss in a royalty of some kind. Royalties have always been complicated to me because of all the varieties, so I won't even attempt to explain - other than to say - there is little chance DM is paid with an hourly wage (to so speak). In other words - more time in the studio (in this sense) is not going to benefit his pocketbook.

And in country/pop/rap/hip-hop it can be different because of how producers skip around. They can be paid by track. So that is more akin to producers being paid for 'time served', where the more time they spend with the artist, the more they get paid because they are literally doing more work.

Also it is not cost prohibitive for U2 - a band that bothered to build their own studio for the comfort and cost saving - to attach payment of the producer to 'time served', when all of their sessions are long as shit anyhow.

But he's probably working with U2 for all of the obvious reasons other than the money. And if you assume that he DOES work for a flat rate/salary, then his working with U2 or literally anyone else makes no monetary difference. DM could make his basic flat rate (whatever he typically demands) producing elsewhere, with The Shins or whomever. However, maybe that royalty is worth it to him - financially - and it might be contingent on finishing up the album. But even in this case, whether they finish in October of 2012 or July of 2013, it's not going to make him MORE money taking longer.

And if all of this is true, and considering how unprofessional it is to negotiate rates after the fact - there is probably a very good chance DM has already been paid his salary (royalties aside).

And since I mentioned the idea of him getting burned out in the studio with U2 (ala Chris Thomas or whatever) I should mention this aside - his home base of operations is in America. So while he's likely not locked up in the studio with U2 for any set length of time or days, he can't exactly go home too easily with the Atlantic ocean in his way. Any trips back home would have to coincide with U2 taking a break themselves. And U2 has taken breaks but I don't really think this album 'kicked off' in full force until Jan/Feb of this year. DM's sticking around (or not) might depend on how far along they were when they started in Jan/Feb of this year. He could stick with them until mid 2013, I just don't know why he would. Because if things are going swimmingly well, then why do they need all of that time? I think it's a case of U2 (or 3/4's of the members) wanting to take the time regardless. To them, what's the rush?

So maybe a financial benefit to him hanging around can be made - about a potential royalty contingent upon completion of the album. After all, U2 are one of the artists that still sell albums - often hard copies (CD). If that is the case, and it very well could be, you could make the argument that it benefits his wallet to hang in there. Without knowing the contract between U2 and Burton, this is all speculation. But there is a reasonable deduction to be made...I refer to my earlier "charming" remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom