The album most discussed here is .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopTart Pamela

Acrobat
Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
Pop! I believe. There are 2 posts in the top 5 at the moment, and that is not unusual.
Do you think Im correct? If so why? If not, which album do you think it is?
Im a huge fan, but I think the songs are in the wrong order - it just sort of dies at the end.

Pamela

I agree its definately Pop. Sadly, probably because among fans it causes the most controversy. I adore it personally. I think its timing had something to do with it though as I was sick to death of classic rock and was ready to break any radio tuned to MMM in Sydney who played nothing but Cold Chisel and other overrated acts. After AB I thought it was another breath of fresh air. I had wondered how much of the JT mastery U2 could continue with and still pull it off. I think the change in direction was a great thing.
I can't remember the tracklist though as I have lost my copy of Pop (I once had 3 copies trying to win that trip to Vegas MMM were running when it was released as they gave a copy to everyone in the draw :lol: ), so I can't comment on whether they'd be better in any other order.

I really need to find all my missing cd's....:hmm:

No question it is, and I do think it's because it's the most controversial. It's like the Dallas Cowboys, you either hate it or love it. A lot of people have strong feelings about it one way or the other. There aren't any good popfights anymore since most of the people who don't like it either have either gone or are too afraid to admit it;) Now most of the fights are, oh no not THAT topic again! :lol: I have noticed that most of the Pop topics here now come in the form of anti-ATYCLB threads, and that's so sad. While many fans like both albums, it seems like in many cases those who hated Pop were happy to have ATYCLB, and those who liked Pop hate ATYCLB because the band 'changed' again and they didn't like it, much the way some older fans didn't like it when they changed with Pop. :shrug: When a band has done as much as U2 has there is no way every single fan is going to like every single thing, but I do believe that complaining about Pop and ATYCLB has more than run its course. :tsk:

Yeah POP is the most talked about it seems! and there is usually people saying how much tehy love it or dont like it in each thread...

I love it! :) Especially liking it while the sun is out!

my 2c

U2Kitten said:
There aren't any good popfights anymore since most of the people who don't like it either have either gone or are too afraid to admit it;)

I think it goes both ways. I rarely remark about how I enjoy the album Pop because almost instantly someone is there to shoot it down and I don't care to aruge about it.

U2Kitten said:
While many fans like both albums, it seems like in many cases those who hated Pop were happy to have ATYCLB, and those who liked Pop hate ATYCLB because the band 'changed' again and they didn't like it, much the way some older fans didn't like it when they changed with Pop. :shrug:

I think this is true for about 2 people(who liked Pop but hated ATYCLB). Definitely not across-the-board (excuse the pun lol).

U2Kitten said:

but I do believe that complaining about Pop and ATYCLB has more than run its course. :tsk:

yeah that's for damn sure.

I understand what you mean Pop Tart Pamela about the songs slowing down at the end of the album. How would you change the track order?

Off the top of my head:

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Staring At The Sun
If God Will Send His Angels
Playboy Mansion
Miami
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

How do you find that this track order?

On another note: I find it unfortunate when I hear U2 fans essentially ?shelve? a U2 album because they don?t like a number of songs / become frustrated with skipping around tracks / etc. And ? of course ? it is unpleasant when some fans bash a particular album. With CD burners and the numerous single versions / new versions / and officially released live versions I would suggest making your own POP

Like:

1. Discotheque - new version
2. Hold Me Thrill Me ? Hasta La Vista Baby CD live version
3. Holy Joe (Garage Mix ? Rock version)
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. Mofo
6. Miami - I'm gonna have to listen to a live version to refresh my memory
7. Last Night On Earth - live Elevation single version
8. Gone ? live Walk On single version
9. If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Jools Holland version
10. North And South Of The River ? Omagh Tribute live version
11. I'm Not Your Baby (U2 & Sinead O?Connor)
12. Please ? live ? I don?t if Popheart single or Hasta La Vista Baby CD?

This one at least rocks harder! And I think it maintains most of POP?s themes ? getting lost in the excesses of Pop Culture and then the hangover of disillusionment with it and with a relationship / marriage (possibly based on it or at least addicted to it). The only thing this version pays little attention to is the disillusionment with God. POP is a very dark and sad album!

It?s not that POP would wind up never being listened to again. A personal version may inspire someone to go back to POP with a new and different appreciation. For example ? listening to the painful relationship B-Sides North And South Of The River and I'm Not Your Baby and the new version of Velvet Dress may cause someone to see POP?s painful relationship songs such as If God Will Send His Angels / Please / and If You Wear That Velvet Dress in a new way?

On second thought I'll change my to all studio versions since that is topic and a mix of live & studio has the disadvantage of being disjointed.

1. Discotheque - new version
2. Hold Me Thrill Me
3. Holy Joe (Garage Mix ? Rock version)
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. Mofo
6. Miami
7. Last Night On Earth ? single version
8. Gone ? new version
9. If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Jools Holland version
10. North And South Of The River
11. I'm Not Your Baby (U2 & Sinead O?Connor)
12. Please ? single version

Back
Top Bottom