The Achtung/Zoo-Era Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zootlesque said:
It's so hard to practice with other people here in the states. Not many germans around.... at least that's the case here in New Brunswick.

My favorite word is probably Zeitungen or Zigaretten. There's something about the letter Z. Or wait.... sussigkeiten, that's it!

Oh... und auch:

Ich mag der Songtexte 'Bleiben'. :love: Don't beat me up if I made any mistake. :reject:
it's the same way here. back when i was in high school, they talked of getting rid of german after columbine because omg everyone who wants to take german must be a nazi sympathizer! whatever :rolleyes: i've yet to encounter anyone who actually knows any german, i'm including all my former classmates here. in high school, i think i was the only one who took it because i liked it (i must've you only needed two years but i took all three) and in college, i didn't talk to anyone so i wouldn't know! :laugh:

ahh, die zeitung, something i don't read enough. i don't like zigaretten in any language though :yuck: :wink:

haha bleiben...i love that word!

Yeah, really. People give me funny looks sometimes when I tell them that I'm learning german. Maybe spanish would've made more practical sense but I can't help it. I have been fascinated with the language ever since I saw the Berlin video of One. :love:

Zootlesque said:
Yeah, really. People give me funny looks sometimes when I tell them that I'm learning german. Maybe spanish would've made more practical sense but I can't help it. I have been fascinated with the language ever since I saw the Berlin video of One. :love:
german's actually easier to learn than spanish, if english is your first language. german and english are in the same language family or something. sentences are structured similarly, etc.

example:

why aren't you wearing pants?
warum tragt dich nicht hose?

because i'm crazy!
weil bin ich verrückt!

They're both Germanic languages. German is actually closer to the ancient parent language than English is. I think English was born when the Saxons moved to Britain from Germany... or something like that. showing my love for history here. :wink: My first language isn't English though, it is Tamil. I'm Indian by birth. But I have no problems, at least so far, with my german lessons. Just gotta practice more... talking to myself I guess. :mad: or with you maybe? :wink:

Stay video appreciation, that's what we need! :drool: Berlin!

KhanadaRhodes said:

german's actually easier to learn than spanish, if english is your first language. german and english are in the same language family or something. sentences are structured similarly, etc.

example:

why aren't you wearing pants?
warum tragt dich nicht hose?

because i'm crazy!
weil bin ich verrückt!

English is a bastard of a language. It's a combination of the romance languages (Latin based) and Germanic. Back in the 1800s, German was almost voted as the national American language. It only barely lost in a vote. Weird, huh? It's one of the hardest languages to learn, next to Chinese.

I still don't want to learn German, though. It's a very angry sounding language, at times. You can take any German phrase, and if you say it loudly, it sounds like you're damning the person to hell. Perhaps I've just seen one too many old Hitler reels.

-Miggy D

Zootlesque said:
Just gotta practice more... talking to myself I guess. :mad: or with you maybe? :wink:
sure! it'd help me remember everything i've learned as well. man, i used to remember all sorts of shit, like how to speak in past and future tenses, now i can barely remember that stuff.

Miggy D said:
It's a very angry sounding language, at times. You can take any German phrase, and if you say it loudly, it sounds like you're damning the person to hell.
but that's why i love it :love:

Miggy D said:

Back in the 1800s, German was almost voted as the national American language. It only barely lost in a vote. Weird, huh?

Yeah, I heard about that! That would've been something huh? There would be no need for practice.

Miggy D said:

Perhaps I've just seen one too many old Hitler reels.
-Miggy D

Yeah, sounds like it. :lol:

Personally I think German is one of the coolest sounding languages ever. What other language would have words like Freizeitbeschaftigungen or Betriebswirtschaftslehre??? Okay, Dutch maybe.

Hey, I have been pretty much including my token on-topic comments all along, like this one...

Achtung Baby ist wirklich ausgezeichnet!!! :wink:

You guys are about 5000 miles off topic!
Well, wasnt the album written in Germany, so not entirely off topic.

Anyways, just to re-affirm...............ZooTV - best tour ever!

Zootlesque said:

Ja. Mich auch.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut weil ich habe eine schrechlich Lehrerin.

(Edit: I think the end should be 'ich eine schrechlich Lehrerin gehabt' ... eh, can't remember.)

I learnt German for nearly five years in high school. The first two years took us two and a half but really weren't all that bad. I'm competent in German up to that point. But beyond that point, it was a disaster. Terrible textbooks combined with terrible teaching methods and a schedule that often became very rushed and un-thorough resulted in my current poor grasp on the language. And I was second in the class too!

I really enjoy learning it. I'm using both the Teach Yourself series and Pimsleur.

Oh, by the way.... sorry namkcur, Zooropa... Vorsprung durch technik. :rockon:

:wink:

If I were to teach myself a language, it would probably be Latin.

Got to love the Latin in Alex Descends Into Hell. The Zoo era had a few GREAT b-sides, notably Where Did It All Go Wrong? and Alex Descends Into Hell.

the first song about the 'ZOO STATION' was by german artist NINA HAGEN and is called 'Auf'm Bahnhof Zoo' in 1979.
try to find out more on amazon.de (link) at the same time a book was released called "Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo" (the book describes the drug scene in berlin in the late seventies).
btw the most beautiful word in german is Habseligkeiten which means belongings. the word was chosen in 2004 in a public poll.

zeitgeist - kindergarten - blitzkrieg - hinterland - schadenfreude :sexywink:

Axver said:
If I were to teach myself a language, it would probably be Latin.

Got to love the Latin in Alex Descends Into Hell. The Zoo era had a few GREAT b-sides, notably Where Did It All Go Wrong? and Alex Descends Into Hell.

You do know that's Dies Irae, right? From the Catholic Mass?

miss becky said:

You do know that's Dies Irae, right? From the Catholic Mass?

Didn't have a clue, actually. Just recognised it as Latin.

blueyedpoet said:
y'all have to go to walking the streets of berlin at night listening to Achtung Baby

Or the crowded neon hell of Shanghai at night with Zoo station blasting away on the good old mp3 player.

I'm ready, I'm ready for the gridlock
I'm ready to take it to the street
I'm ready for the shuffle, ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready, ready for the crush

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

She's just down the line, Zoo Station
Got to make it on time, Zoo Station

Alright, alright, alright, alright, alright
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, It's alright
Hey baby, hey baby, hey baby, hey baby
It's alright, it's alright

:drool:

Time is a train, makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

:heart:

I'm just down the line from your love (Zoo Station)
You know I'm under the sign (Zoo Station)
I've gotta make it on time
Make it on time (Zoo Station)
That's alright (Zoo Station)
Just two stops down the line (Zoo Station)
Just a stop down the line

:camera:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom