The 6th single off Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
What could've have been a 6th single off Achtung Baby.

The choices are:

Zoo Station
Until The End of the World
So Cruel
Tryin to throw your arms around he world
Ultraviolet (Light my way)
Acrobat
Love is Blindness

What song do you think u2 management would have released?

What song do you perosnally think would've been the best option

For Me:

IT WOULD BE : UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD

IT SHOULD BE : ULTRAVIOLET (in a commerical sense)

And I have just become an Acrobat........"i must be an acrobat" because i have. clocked 300 posts....

The Fly no more....

Until The End Of The World for both. I've thought for a while that it should've been a single.

"IT WOULD BE : UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD

IT SHOULD BE : ULTRAVIOLET (in a commerical sense)"

I think you're right that they would have released until the end of the world.. They've certainly opted for that on their travels, and it's brilliant live.

However, although I much prefer ultraviolet, I don't think it would have been a fantastic commercial hit. The intro for starters, couldn't be played easily on the radio.

there's no song better than until the end of the world, but as a single it should be ultraviolet.

intedomine said:

IT WOULD BE : UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD

IT SHOULD BE : ULTRAVIOLET (in a commerical sense)

I agree with you. But the video they did for Until The End Of The World is not very good so maybe they could have released it like the live version that there is on the Best Of DVD. A video for Ultraviolet would probably look really cool.

Until the End of the World probably would have done the best. But I perfer Ultraviolet.

There could have been ten singles easily and they could have toured until 1996 with that album!

Could you imagine watching MTV in 1996 and hearing a VJ say "okay, and the 9th video off their 1991 album achtung baby..."

That would have been cool.

"Until", of course...but that was technically a radio single anyway, so as for the rest of the above songs, I think "Ultra Violet" could have been a minor success on rock radio.

until the end of the world would of worked quite well and I just love this song and maybe it would of done quite ok. I know that it was featured in the movie by Wim Wenders called 'Until the end of the world', was it ever on a soundtrack for that movie???

great song though and I think that Zoo Station would of rocked as a single, and if it had had a filmclip that was like a retrospective of some live stuff, it would of been great, could of been better than The Fly:wink:

BigMacPhisto said:
"Until", of course...but that was technically a radio single anyway, so as for the rest of the above songs, I think "Ultra Violet" could have been a minor success on rock radio.

How was it technically a radio single? It may have been played on some radio stations, but I don't think it was ever a true single.

OzAurora said:
until the end of the world would of worked quite well and I just love this song and maybe it would of done quite ok. I know that it was featured in the movie by Wim Wenders called 'Until the end of the world', was it ever on a soundtrack for that movie???

Yeah it was on a great soundtrack, actually a slightly different version, but the soundtrack included songs from Elvis Costello, REM, Depeche Mode, Nick Cave, Lou Reed, Daniel Lanios, T-Bone Burnett and more.

Until The End Of The World should have been a single, instead of Mysterious Ways. MW was a commercial success but IMO is the worst song on AB.

I would go with Until the End of the World, without a doubt. It?s an outstanding song, so good that they have played it since ZOO TV non stop. It should have been a single IMO. And if I had to replace one of the singles released it would Who?s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Cheers
MT

follower said:
I would go with Until the End of the World, without a doubt. It?s an outstanding song, so good that they have played it since ZOO TV non stop. It should have been a single IMO. And if I had to replace one of the singles released it would Who?s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Cheers
MT

My thoughts exactly......

I always thought that WGRYWH was a bit of a weak single, as there were so many better songs, I personally cant stand that song, its the only one I skip on AB:huh:

I used to hate Wild Horses but then the distorted intro started to sound really cool to me and then the part that I guess is the bridge: "Ahh the deeper I spin" really got to me and then I realized I really like the song.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How was it technically a radio single? It may have been played on some radio stations, but I don't think it was ever a true single.

The radios had to have gotten a promo single to play the song.....so the band must have released as a radio only single.

They couldn't really have released acrobat as a single as the guitar part is impossible, I doubt Edge could have reliably played it live (no-one could), and who releases a single they can't play live?

Ultraviolet is in my opinion the best song on AB, but UTEOTW would have worked better as a single.

For sure they would release Until the End of the World, because in essence they already did. They recorded the Wim Wenders video, released it as a radio single in which it it peaked at #5 and #4 in the Mainstream and Modern rock charts respectively in January '92.
Also it was part of the Zoo Radio release. I reckon they might have used one of the live videos such as that one, possibly without the hilarious intro, but knowing U2 back then, they would've :p.

My personal preference would have been Acrobat, but a slightly shortened version Ultraviolet would've been a killer too! Ofcourse like so many have said, basically every song would've been great :p.

WHYWHY.

Last edited:
UTEOTW. I love Ultraviolet, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness but IMO they work better as a continuing trilology and album closer and none could really be a single. But wait I thought there was a video for LIB was it a single in Europe or somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom