The 2 BIGGEST Grammy Travesties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsanta74

Babyface
TRAVESTY #1: Why in the bloody blue hell wasn't George Harrison, a rock pioneer, even memorialized?

TRAVESTY #2: U2 got screwed bigger than you think. "O Brother" took home a total of 6 awards. Keys took home 5. U2 got 4, making them the "bronze" metal winners of the night. *sigh*

Well, at least out of 11 total noms for ATYCLB U2 managed to snag 7 wins. That'd probably make it more critically acclaimed than even AB or JT. Heck, in the long run, it may even globally eclipse JT's sales.

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" has only won four awards, not 6!

Darn....I thought you said 2 Biggest Grammy "Transvestites". I expected a more colorful thread.

wink.gif

Don't have to get so angry? =p

Here's my logic. JT has sold 18 million worldwide since 1987. That was 15 years ago. ATYCLB has sold 10 million copies worldwide since Oct 31st 2000. That was 14 months ago.

Considering the steady sales curve downward, where will ATYCLB be in 2015 in terms of worldwide sales? JT will still sell. Don't worry. =D

(BTW, The global numbers are accurate. I pulled them off numerous reliable sites.)

O Brother:

- Album Of The Year
- Best Male Country Vocal Performance
- Best Country Collaboration With Vocals
- Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
- Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical

And some other that escapes my mind. LOL

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Good point about Harrison though....the wanker was too busy talking about all the lost $$ from downloading...the tosser...

I was SO shocked that they had the gall to do that. I mean, cry me a river!!!! gah. Totally out of touch.

My mother, a very quite and sensible women, was watching the Grammys. After they were over, she called my apartment to scream "WTF happened to the George Harrison Tribute?" ..... That's the first time my mother has ever really shocked me. It was as if the Pope had suddenly kicked a puppy. LOL

Oh Brother where art though,, what a piece of CRAP! look at the name of the band 'the soft bottom boys'!! EWW
I think u2 definately got jipped on that one! I wouldnt have minded if any of the other contenders won that.. but NOT them!

Sorry, but the O Brother soundtrack is a good record; all of the nominated albums were good.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Yes it was good, but was it ATYCLB level good? It really don't think so. U2 has been on a sustained, major commerical and critical roll since Oct 2K.

Originally posted by rsanta74:
Yes it was good, but was it ATYCLB level good? It really don't think so. U2 has been on a sustained, major commerical and critical roll since Oct 2K.

well apparently enough of the grammy voters disagreed. it's over now, there's nothing left to be done
wink.gif

Unfortunately, we'll never know exactly how close the vote actually was. I'm willing to bet that it was just by a hair.

Producer of the Year was for the Producer alone. That guy produced several other albums beside Oh Brother during last year. Thats why I did not include it. But if you do then its 5.

I just returned from the Grammies and I have to say, that the audience was a little more than confused that they did not do the obligatory memorial segment this year. There was also a very cool reception to the O Brother people. If you noticed on the telecast, they cut the speech much shorter than the others. About the internet downloading stuff, my friend nearly screamed out (at a very quiet part) "Yeah well don't make us pay $20 a CD!" but really, no one in the room even paid any attention to that segment.

------------------
The interview hadn't even begun..... and suddenly we all noticed something very peculiar: Bono - is - taking - all - his - clothes - off. The white shirt went first, then his black suede boots, his socks, trousers, and briefs (black with white trim, possibly Calvin Klein, probably Marks & Spencer).
"Excuse me but why have you taken your clothes off, Bono?"
"For the same reason," interjected the Edge, answering on Bono's behalf, "that he's the lead singer. Because he's a rampant sex god with a huge ego."
"And a small willy," added Adam.

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
that's the biggest travesty of them all.

You're referring to the possibility that "Heck, in the long run, it may even globally eclipse JT's sales."

Why would that be a travesty?

ATYCLB is a great fucking album, at least as great as The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Beyond that, it's a great thing to have U2 make a quality record and have it sell more than the Big One, released FIFTEEN years ago.

Heavy hitters Dylan and U2 split the Grammy voters allowing for the little Soundtrack to barely pass them. If Dylan had not been nominated U2 would have blown the soundtrack away.
Who wins the Grammy is often about the various voting blocks at the Grammy's and how the various nominees split those voting blocks causing surprise winners.
Its possible that having Outkast in the nominees for Record of The Year help to take enough away from Alicia Keys for the U2 win. But more likely, it was that WALK ON simply appealed more to voters than Stuck... did in the song of the year catagory. To bad that Walk On did not get nominated in the Song Of The Year catagory, I think U2 would have won it then.
Its awesome to see a song(Walk On) that was unable to crack the HOT 100 airplay chart, because of resistance from Radio people, crush a #1 airplay hit like Fallin! Take that Radio programmers and DJs!

By some estimates, Joshua Tree is at 25 million worldwide now after 15 years. Joshua Tree did 14 million during 1987 alone and has sold another 6 million copies in the USA since 1987 and an unknown number of copies outside the USA.
ATYCLB has done 10.5 million to date and has a long long long way to go to catch Joshua Tree. But hey, it was one of the 5 biggest selling albums last year worldwide and certainly has a shot at catching Achtung Baby at 16 million copies. So I would say there is a chance for it to be #2 in the U2 catalog.

Originally posted by STING2:
Heavy hitters Dylan and U2 split the Grammy voters allowing for the little Soundtrack to barely pass them. If Dylan had not been nominated U2 would have blown the soundtrack away.
Who wins the Grammy is often about the various voting blocks at the Grammy's and how the various nominees split those voting blocks causing surprise winners.

how do you know this stuff?

I feel sorry for India.Arie. Seven nominations and no wins. Props to Bono for consoling her backstage.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

STING2: I've heard that 25 million number too, usually in usenet postings. It just doesn't jibe though. Most of the bigger sources like Rolling Stone, EW, and so forth seem to be sticking to the 18-mil number.

An album that old usually only sees a sales spike during awards time or when a new album is released. Other than that, back catalog stuff tends to just sell a handful after the first 2-3 years.

Personally, I love JT. Do I think that it's better than ATYCLB? Not a snowball's chance in you know where.
smile.gif
ATYCLB brings 20+ years of craftsmanship to the table. The U2 or 1987 wouldn't have had the restraint or ability to create such a sonically diverse album. That comes with age.

There's no shame in ATYCLB selling mammoths. In fact, most of it will probably be outside of the US. That's the exact opposite of JT, since ATYCLB is just _getting_close_to_ the 4x platinum (not there yet though).

ATYCLB is a great album. So is JT. That's enough for me.

Anybody wonder what the USA awards ceremonies or album sales would've been like had ATYCLB had included TGBHF as an official Track #12?

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by rsanta74 (edited 02-27-2002).]

Great point about George Harrison. There should have been a tribute.

About downloading: sooner or later the record industry will have to realize that they will never defeat file sharing. What they need to do is come out with a better file sharing product at a competitive price. Until they realize this, they will have to contend with file sharing. They are also missing another point. Most people who file share buy the albums that they love. A lot of the music that is dowloaded would never be bought in the first place. A friend of mine has a ton of mp3's. I noticed he had Frank Sinatra on the list. I asked him why? He said I just wanted to check it out. Now I know this guy, and I know he would never buy a Sinatra album anyway, so does this really hurt the music industry to download music that you would never buy anyway? Greene (Grammy President) made a point that it hurts the smaller artists. I argue just the opposite. If I downloaded a smaller band that I loved, I would buy it. Without file sharing I would probably wouldn't even hear about or experiment with samller, lesser known bands. Last point: there are many U2 (and other bands) mp3's that I have that you can't even buy if you wanted to (concerts, TV appearances, demos, etc.). That is the main reason I file share. To get music that you can't get anywhere else. Until the music industry offers a superior product, they will continue to battle fle sharing. They think it is the beginning of the end, but it is really the end of the beginning. This is just the tip of the iceberg. File sharing will only become more sophisticated and harder to track down.

Whats the big deal with Bob Dylan anyway? I know he is a legend but I find him downright annoying. His older work is bearable, but his performance tonight was simply incoherent and boring. He gets up there on stage and just mumbles out nonense. He is way overrated. Just my honest opinion, don't shoot me.

Originally posted by rsanta74:

And so is the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. I don't know if you realise this, but that album has also been out for more than 60 weeks, has sold millions of copies (4 million to be exact) and has been heralded as the record that made Americans rediscover their musical roots (country & bluegrass).

I don't understand all this sudden gripe when U2 doesn't win all the things U2's up for. This year all the nominees in the Album Of The Year award were good albums that deserved to win (although I have to admit I only have ATYCLB and Love & Theft). So what if U2 doesn't win it? It's not as if they lost to Britney or so. Besides, not many albums can say they are a 7x Grammy winner (as is ATYCLB).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom