The 2 BIGGEST Grammy Travesties - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2002, 12:25 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
that's the biggest travesty of them all.
You're referring to the possibility that "Heck, in the long run, it may even globally eclipse JT's sales."

Why would that be a travesty?

ATYCLB is a great fucking album, at least as great as The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Beyond that, it's a great thing to have U2 make a quality record and have it sell more than the Big One, released FIFTEEN years ago.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:31 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Heavy hitters Dylan and U2 split the Grammy voters allowing for the little Soundtrack to barely pass them. If Dylan had not been nominated U2 would have blown the soundtrack away.
Who wins the Grammy is often about the various voting blocks at the Grammy's and how the various nominees split those voting blocks causing surprise winners.
Its possible that having Outkast in the nominees for Record of The Year help to take enough away from Alicia Keys for the U2 win. But more likely, it was that WALK ON simply appealed more to voters than Stuck... did in the song of the year catagory. To bad that Walk On did not get nominated in the Song Of The Year catagory, I think U2 would have won it then.
Its awesome to see a song(Walk On) that was unable to crack the HOT 100 airplay chart, because of resistance from Radio people, crush a #1 airplay hit like Fallin! Take that Radio programmers and DJs!

Old 02-28-2002, 12:40 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

By some estimates, Joshua Tree is at 25 million worldwide now after 15 years. Joshua Tree did 14 million during 1987 alone and has sold another 6 million copies in the USA since 1987 and an unknown number of copies outside the USA.
ATYCLB has done 10.5 million to date and has a long long long way to go to catch Joshua Tree. But hey, it was one of the 5 biggest selling albums last year worldwide and certainly has a shot at catching Achtung Baby at 16 million copies. So I would say there is a chance for it to be #2 in the U2 catalog.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:46 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
Heavy hitters Dylan and U2 split the Grammy voters allowing for the little Soundtrack to barely pass them. If Dylan had not been nominated U2 would have blown the soundtrack away.
Who wins the Grammy is often about the various voting blocks at the Grammy's and how the various nominees split those voting blocks causing surprise winners.
how do you know this stuff?
Old 02-28-2002, 12:52 AM   #25
War Child

I feel sorry for India.Arie. Seven nominations and no wins. Props to Bono for consoling her backstage.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:05 AM   #26
Babyface

STING2: I've heard that 25 million number too, usually in usenet postings. It just doesn't jibe though. Most of the bigger sources like Rolling Stone, EW, and so forth seem to be sticking to the 18-mil number.

An album that old usually only sees a sales spike during awards time or when a new album is released. Other than that, back catalog stuff tends to just sell a handful after the first 2-3 years.

Personally, I love JT. Do I think that it's better than ATYCLB? Not a snowball's chance in you know where. ATYCLB brings 20+ years of craftsmanship to the table. The U2 or 1987 wouldn't have had the restraint or ability to create such a sonically diverse album. That comes with age.

There's no shame in ATYCLB selling mammoths. In fact, most of it will probably be outside of the US. That's the exact opposite of JT, since ATYCLB is just _getting_close_to_ the 4x platinum (not there yet though).

ATYCLB is a great album. So is JT. That's enough for me.

Anybody wonder what the USA awards ceremonies or album sales would've been like had ATYCLB had included TGBHF as an official Track #12?

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by rsanta74 (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old 02-28-2002, 01:13 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Great point about George Harrison. There should have been a tribute.

About downloading: sooner or later the record industry will have to realize that they will never defeat file sharing. What they need to do is come out with a better file sharing product at a competitive price. Until they realize this, they will have to contend with file sharing. They are also missing another point. Most people who file share buy the albums that they love. A lot of the music that is dowloaded would never be bought in the first place. A friend of mine has a ton of mp3's. I noticed he had Frank Sinatra on the list. I asked him why? He said I just wanted to check it out. Now I know this guy, and I know he would never buy a Sinatra album anyway, so does this really hurt the music industry to download music that you would never buy anyway? Greene (Grammy President) made a point that it hurts the smaller artists. I argue just the opposite. If I downloaded a smaller band that I loved, I would buy it. Without file sharing I would probably wouldn't even hear about or experiment with samller, lesser known bands. Last point: there are many U2 (and other bands) mp3's that I have that you can't even buy if you wanted to (concerts, TV appearances, demos, etc.). That is the main reason I file share. To get music that you can't get anywhere else. Until the music industry offers a superior product, they will continue to battle fle sharing. They think it is the beginning of the end, but it is really the end of the beginning. This is just the tip of the iceberg. File sharing will only become more sophisticated and harder to track down.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:20 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 PM
India.arie's performance was awesome. I loved her. I'm going to buy her CD.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:27 AM   #29
Babyface

Whats the big deal with Bob Dylan anyway? I know he is a legend but I find him downright annoying. His older work is bearable, but his performance tonight was simply incoherent and boring. He gets up there on stage and just mumbles out nonense. He is way overrated. Just my honest opinion, don't shoot me.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:40 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rsanta74:
Yes it was good, but was it ATYCLB level good? It really don't think so. U2 has been on a sustained, major commerical and critical roll since Oct 2K.
And so is the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. I don't know if you realise this, but that album has also been out for more than 60 weeks, has sold millions of copies (4 million to be exact) and has been heralded as the record that made Americans rediscover their musical roots (country & bluegrass).

I don't understand all this sudden gripe when U2 doesn't win all the things U2's up for. This year all the nominees in the Album Of The Year award were good albums that deserved to win (although I have to admit I only have ATYCLB and Love & Theft). So what if U2 doesn't win it? It's not as if they lost to Britney or so. Besides, not many albums can say they are a 7x Grammy winner (as is ATYCLB).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle
Old 02-28-2002, 02:01 AM   #31
Babyface

You made my point for me, Popmartijn. How can an album that wins 7 Grammys miss the AotY award? I'm not realy complaining. It's just hard to comprehend. I think that most people here would at least ask "Why?".

The fact that it's now a 7x Grammy winner makes that question much more relevant?
Old 02-28-2002, 02:07 AM   #32
the invisible woman

I can't believe U2 lost 'Album of the year' that just made me very ARGH! I didn't care that they lose the othe catagories but for them to lose 'album of the year' Damn the Grammy's to hell!

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(.(*. .*).)
.. *Monica*..
(.(.* *.).)
Old 02-28-2002, 08:10 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by rsanta74:
You made my point for me, Popmartijn. How can an album that wins 7 Grammys miss the AotY award? I'm not realy complaining. It's just hard to comprehend. I think that most people here would at least ask "Why?".

The fact that it's now a 7x Grammy winner makes that question much more relevant?
Because as a whole, it's not that great a record compared to past U2 efforts and compared to other nominees in this category. And before anyone's panties get all wadded up, I've been saying this here for the better part of the time I've been here. I like the album, but it's not their best one by a long shot. Sure, it's sold well, but that's no guarantee of quality. That Mariah Carey person sells shitloads of albums and she sucks big-time. So the sales figures don't mean crap when it comes to quality. Bee glad they ones the Grammies they got; four is fine, and Record of the Year for a single that wasn't even released in the US is fine, too.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02
Old 02-28-2002, 08:46 AM   #34
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by martha: Bee glad they ones the Grammies they got; four is fine, and Record of the Year for a single that wasn't even released in the US is fine, too.

[/B]
?
Walk On was released in the US as a single over one year ago, but I don't think it got much airplay then. I believe that in order for a song to be nominated in that category, it has to be released as a single.

Old 02-28-2002, 08:51 AM   #35
Acrobat

I'm glad they didn't tribute Harrison....they probably would of had Bon Jovi play "Here Comes The Sun" again.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:53 AM   #36
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by martha:
Sorry, but the O Brother soundtrack is a good record; all of the nominated albums were good.

martha, you are absolutely right on with this and your other comments.

I believe that a lot of people out there critisizing O Brother have not even listened to the CD. The same goes for Steely Dan last year. These are both very good CDS with excellent production values.

The fact that Actung Baby lost to Eric Clapton.....now THAT's a travesty

Old 02-28-2002, 09:58 AM   #37
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jezebel:
I believe that a lot of people out there critisizing O Brother have not even listened to the CD.
I confess I have only heard parts of it...however...I did not like what I heard.

I suppose I could be more open minded and give the entire album a listen though.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."
Old 02-28-2002, 10:04 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

O Brother Where Art Thou, the movie, was outstanding. I loved it. And the soundtrack really had a lot to do with why the movie was so good. It's a really good disc. Not that I'm not disappointed that it beat ATYCLB, but I can see how it could have happened with a Dylan/U2 vote split.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:21 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dipster:
Quote:
Originally posted by martha: Bee glad they ones the Grammies they got; four is fine, and Record of the Year for a single that wasn't even released in the US is fine, too.
?
Walk On was released in the US as a single over one year ago, but I don't think it got much airplay then. I believe that in order for a song to be nominated in that category, it has to be released as a single.
[/B]
Did YOU buy the domestic single? I didn't, because it wasn't released here as a single. It was released to radio stations, but not to the public.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02