That's pretty rude Mr. Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant blame Bono for getting pissed.

At the Oakland show someone was throwing water at him and he was PISSED.

Exhibit A

16867bonopissed.jpg

All I saw was him pointing and his lips mouthing F****** A******

:lol:

I was there and saw the whole thing. My take on it was Bono was getting frustrated because the crowd wasn't quite yet in the moment and he just did it for the sake of doing something to involve the crowd. That was my take.

tpsreports2424 said:
As long as you don't get punched in the face by Rose, your pretty much living life at a concert :lol:

On to being serious..

This guy was taking a photo with Bono like 50,000 other fans are. But he was still on his phone in the front row. That still doesn't give Bono the right for him to cus and yell and embarress him in front of thousands of people, of where I bet he has seen many people take out their phones to take photos. Bono probaly had a bad day, like many other people do, but embarresing for no reason is another thing.

I'm fairly certain Bono can tell the difference between someone using a phone to call someone and someone just taking pictures.

Was he out of line? Probably. Still, I can understand the frustration. Cell phones are annoying because most people are just plain rude and don't understand that there may be a time where you are showing disrespect for someone while you are busy gabbing away.

Compared to many other performers, Bono is not rude at all. If it was my performance and I would see someone on a phone, I'd be pissed as well, and I can get very emotional. We all have emotions and he's only human. I see nothing rude about it. There is other stuff that artists do, you don't want to be near them.

:bono: Anyone got a cellphone?
Cellphones...dangerous little devices
You can get into a lot of trouble with a cell phone [laughs]
take them out!

:hmm:

Sicy said:

Exhibit A

16867bonopissed.jpg

I remember that...I thought Bono was kinda wrong for reacting that way. How many times has he thrown water on crowds?

Nevertheless, it must be difficult being in such an emotional moment and having someone throw water on you.

He's got a point

martha said:

eta: And what's ruder, being on the phone in front of an artist who is performing, or getting pissed because someone is on the phone while you're performing?

:hmm: Tough choice indeed.

indra said:
I think I remember a big thread on this right around the time it happened (sorry, I'm too lazy to look for it even though I do have seach capabilities :uhoh: ) where the hapless fan commented on the incident.

I suspect Bono had his shorts in a bunch at the time. Everyone gets cranky sometimes, but it sure sucked for that poor fan. I seem to remember from the earlier thread that Bono kind of apologised a bit later in the show so that helps.

Indra is right.. Perhaps Bono was simply pissed. I don't think what he's done is nice, but well, he's human and things like that can happen!
I am happy he apologised thoug

Sicy said:

Exhibit A

16867bonopissed.jpg

:lol:!!
must be that bandana that makes him do that :hmm:

but looking at the clip, it does appear that he's taken up in the moment.

blueyedpoet said:

I remember that...I thought Bono was kinda wrong for reacting that way. How many times has he thrown water on crowds?

Yeah, like when he sprayed champagne straight into the lens of a camera I've spent over $500 on and had to send in for professional cleaning :mad:

JCOSTER said:
Let us not forget, the person who threw something at him during SBS during the Boston show. :eyebrow:

Yeah , was goin to put that out , If I'm not wrong he made like a gesture : Fuck you .....

What bout Slane : All I want is fuckin ya man :wink: :lol:

I love to see him get riled up... on a few Vertigo boots he asks the audience not to clap during slow songs; once during RTSS, which comes across as rude, but makes me oddly happy. There's the famous Boy-era performance where he repeatedly stops the band during IWF and thretens to end the concert unless people in the front stop pushing each other; there's the SF incident at the Trocadero in San Francisco in '87; and there's this cell-phone outburst. As long as Bono can get testy, it means he's looking for energy and intensity. He may be a rude bastard from time to time, and nothing excuses rudeness - but I'd rather he were sometimes rude, in the heat of the moment, than be comfortable and polite. many of the best U2 songs are built on anger...

I still don't think he was that rude...

Can somebody tell me the story about a fan grabbing his arm during the JT sling period?? :scratch: I've never heard that one before!

I saw that around the time it happened and I don't care now just as much as I didn't care then.

Everyone has a bad night. Apparently the crowd in the ellipse that night were terrible, not into at all, and that's probably why he got frustrated. So what if in 30+ years of touring he loses his cool just once. And he did apologise later, or so I've heard so it's all good. Even heros make mistakes from time to time :)

^^ Agreed.

This is what happens when people put someone up on a pedestal so ridiculously high that it's a REALLY long way to fall, and way too easy to do so.

Some people will excuse anything a star does.

Someone pays WAY too much to go to a concert and gets publicly humiliated in front of thousands of people (and now millions online) for nothing and you think that's excusable. Yes, he apologized, which is his only saving grace in this incident.

The "but other singers do worse!" excuse is silly. So it's ok for a singer to humiliate his fans as long as he's not pulling an Axl Rose and punching their face?

Bono's status doesn't excuse him in any way.

shart1780 said:

Someone pays WAY too much to go to a concert and gets publicly humiliated in front of thousands of people (and now millions online) for nothing and you think that's excusable. Yes, he apologized, which is his only saving grace in this incident.

The "but other singers do worse!" excuse is silly. So it's ok for a singer to humiliate his fans as long as he's not pulling an Axl Rose and punching their face?

Bono's status doesn't excuse him in any way.

What about the argument that it's the fan's fault for using a cell?

:lol: I heard him call a fan a 'mother f@cker' once at a show.

November 14, 1987, Oakland, CA. The fan was pushing another fan in an effort to get to the front of the stage. :shrug: Whatever...Bono's a pretty emotional character.

shart1780 said:

Publicly humiliated? How is one publicly humiliated if they stay anonymous?:huh:

Some people will find any reason to bitch.

bgmckinney said:
I love to see him get riled up... on a few Vertigo boots he asks the audience not to clap during slow songs; once during RTSS, which comes across as rude, but makes me oddly happy. There's the famous Boy-era performance where he repeatedly stops the band during IWF and thretens to end the concert unless people in the front stop pushing each other; there's the SF incident at the Trocadero in San Francisco in '87; and there's this cell-phone outburst. As long as Bono can get testy, it means he's looking for energy and intensity. He may be a rude bastard from time to time, and nothing excuses rudeness - but I'd rather he were sometimes rude, in the heat of the moment, than be comfortable and polite. many of the best U2 songs are built on anger...

:up: Yes, I agree! I love his passion, especially when he gets pissed! Come on people, it's rock n roll!! He's a passionate, emotional creature with faults just like us.
We know he will never be Barry Manilow, thank GOD!! Love him faults and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom