That age thing and ppl hating u2........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono-vox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
maze of your imagination, where the streets have n
I am only new to this forum but I was reading through some of the other things you were all discussing...I was really surprised about the age thing and thinking all u2 fans were about 25+....I am 16 and I have liked u2 for a really long time since I was about 8 or 9 i started getting their albums and stuff. This year I went to my first u2 concert, they came to belfast when i was 11 but i was too young to go see them, i went to slane this year and I loved it.

My 12 year old sister is also a huge u2 fan she keeps stealing all my cd's! So not every fan is above 25

And about ppl hating u2, all my friends hate them!! For the last week i have been getting insults shouted at me..this guy keeps shouting u2 at me...here is a bit of a conversation i had with him in which he made fun of u2......
And in this moment I am happy,happy YEAH(Paranoid) says:
y/ do u like em
I'm screaming......still nobody hears says:
they have talent
he said:
smashing pumpkins -cool u2 -gay

I said:

smashing pumpkins=ran out of talent, broke up

Him:they should hav a sell by date,
the NORMALS like em,
they've lost their roots

I have ran out of insults for him, any suggestions? He likes the smashing pumpkins and the thing is they copied u2 songs so he really has nothing to laugh about....

They all love "heavy metal" bands and love punk music which thye think is blink 182..but they have neevr heard of the sex pistols, the ramones, stiff little fingers who were all really good punk bands in my opinion.

But u2 are the best :)

P.S. Arent the emoticons cool on this forum?

Originally posted by bono-vox:
My 12 year old sister is also a huge u2 fan she keeps stealing all my cd's! So not every fan is above 25
all the REAL fans are over 25
tongue.gif

some of those kiddies <26 even keep babbling about POP as if it is one of U2's best offerings

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Make sure to inform him that most Americans who aren't 13-year-old girls think that Blink 182 are a complete joke and pathetic excuse for a punk band.

Also remind him that Billy Corgan is a huge U2 fan.

Note to Salome: POP kicks ass!

------------------
Change is the only constant

I have ran out of insults for him, any suggestions? He likes the smashing pumpkins and the thing is they copied u2 songs so he really has nothing to laugh about....

Personally, I wouldn't trade insults. Try logical arguments. Much better way to win a debate.

Anyhow, the Smashing Pumpkins are an amazing band, and I don't think they copied U2 or ran out of talent. They simply got tired of losing out to the crappy boy and girl bands and all the other pre-fab generic music that's being played on the radio. They were a group with unbelievable talent and soul. I still mourn their breakup. We need more bands like Smashing Pumpkins out there fighting the good fight.

But u2 are the best :)

I won't argue with that
smile.gif

Welcome aboard!

------------------
I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me.

I'm sorrie people are making snide remarks to you..

The thing is, there aren't as many younger U2 fans (those under 19 or so), so if the people who are being nasty to you are young themselves, they might just be reflecting the music they are most familiar with - ergo Blink182 or the Pumpkins - because to them, these bands are seen as touching and necessary. I have come to believe that you have to be in a certain place in your mind and soul for U2 to touch you and really move you.. Sure, it appeals to the masses - but the big fans are the ones who really "feel" the music, versus being latent listeners.

I dunno, I could be completely off base. My experience with teenagers these days is that they arent too aware of 80's music and great bands like the Ramones. Though not to say this is the standard...(there are plenty of teens who have a wonderful knowledge of music that came out before 1994).

i adore music from the 80's and im not into music in the 90's..i love the ramones and queen...I was brought up listening to 70's and 80's music cus my dad is really into it...i also like elvis and roy orbison, i have taste and at least im not getting sucked into liking all that pop crap
smile.gif

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Make sure to inform him that most Americans who aren't 13-year-old girls think that Blink 182 are a complete joke and pathetic excuse for a punk band.

Also remind him that Billy Corgan is a huge U2 fan.

Note to Salome: POP kicks ass!

------------------
The numeral 7

I became a diehard U2 fan 6 years ago (I was 13 years old then).

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

People who like music respect U2.

People who follow popular trends don't like U2.

------------------
Looking for explanations? Well I don't even understand

Yay for young U2 fans! I've had good taste since a young age. I liked U2 when I was 10 or 11 and when I was 14-15 I became a major fan. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

Being young is no excuse for bad taste in music.

------------------
The soul needs beauty for a soulmate

The Pumpkins (Corgan at least) are influenced by U2, but have never copied them.

The Pumpkins never ran out of talent, they had to move on to new things.

If you weren't a newbie I'd be angry.

actually the smashing pumpkins did copy some of u2's songs and sing them...

Im not saying they r a crap band they were good, i just hate ppl always making fun of the music i like and i never start a fight with somebody over their music choice.

Yay tot he person who liked u2 since he/she was 9 or 10...ive been listening to them since i was young too

actually the smashing pumpkins did copy some of u2's songs and sing them...

Yeah that's called a 'cover'. There's nothing wrong with it. To say that a band 'copied' another band is to say they stole and tried to pass it off as their own, which SP have never done to U2.

I honestly think U2's "When I look at the World" is inspired by some of the stuff on the Pumpkins "Adore" album
"Perfect" comes to mind

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

For the last week i have been getting insults shouted at me..this guy keeps shouting u2 at me

I would perscribe a regular regimine of quiet u2 music in the background whenever your around him. Instead of insulting him, "convert" him to our "side". This is how I got hooked on U2! (You can send all of your protests to Skeek if you don't like it, it was his fault) I have also made people stop saying things like "Turn that crap off" or "stop ruining the air with that noise" and start saying things like "Let's put some U2 on!"

Here comes yet another endless string of idiocy from me...

Godfather of punk = Iggy Pop. How can you forget Iggy? You cant talk about pioneers of punk like the Sex Pistols without bringin up iggy! I mean, anyone who wears the american poet, Jim Morrison,'s pants while on stage just because he thought that Jim's spirit would aid him and make his preformance better juts has to be great
smile.gif

Which brings me to my idiotic thought: Metallica's James Hetfield greatly increased my respect for the band when he caught himself on fire during a concert just to please the audiance - resulting in second degree burns. Ahhh Rock On.

As for this whole U2 thing. All of my friends are U2 fans. Save for dave, the uninformed one. I have managed to begin the conversion of Koper by telling him to listen to Achtung, Best of, and ATYCLB over the past week in computers class. Now, as for people around me, while Im 16, most of my friends are 16, 17, 18... Most people who arent my friends think U2 sucks. But there just isnt helping some people...

i adore music from the 80's and im not into music in the 90's..i love the ramones and queen...I was brought up listening to 70's and 80's music cus my dad is really into it...i also like elvis and roy orbison, i have taste and at least im not getting sucked into liking all that pop crap
smile.gif

U GO BONOVOX!!!

I was an Elvis fan growing up. (I'm 38 now). Saw Elvis in concert, even. The kids in school were relentless about teasing me.

Then, when I was 14, shortly after Elvis passed away, I saw Roy Orbison on an Elvis tribute. I loved that voice, and asked my Dad about him. He named several songs that Roy did that I LOVED and never knew who sang them! I became a Roy Orbison fan right on the spot. Having learned from my Elvis experience, I didn't tell anyone at school about my Roy Orbison fandom. Someone sent me the address of a Roy O. fan club based in England. I joined and got several pen pals out of it. Finally, I didn't feel so alone in my Orbison fandom. I did draw a BIG picture of Roy in a leather suit in 1979 for a high-school art project (I still have it) and it won awards. But I never told anyone who it was, and nobody except one teacher (who was sworn to secrecy...LOL) knew I was a Roy fan! In 1981, they asked me to be the club's USA Rep. I grabbed the chance. In mid- 1982, I was asked by Roy's road manager to operate the club. A gladly did it. I kept it til early 1986, when I resigned (long story). Meanwhile, I "discovered" U2 in 1983, and they became my favorite band, while Roy Orbison was my favorite singer. Then, in 1988, I heard that Bono and Edge wrote "She's a Mystery To Me" fopr Roy to record. I couldn't WAIT to hear THAT!!!! My username comes from that song, and pays tribute to both U2 and Roy.

Having just seen U2 in Chicago, now I can say I have seen my 3 all-time favorite artists!

Thing is, I have thought U2 was way COOL ever since I first heard them. I was surprised to come on here and read that kids are teasing others for liking U2. I know the feeling. But to the teens on here: Stick to your guns. Like who you want to like...not what they want you to like. If they tease you, don't bother arguing with them. They aren't as enlightened as you!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

I'm 17 and yes it is "uncool" for people my age to like U2. People my age like either rnb, hip hop, rap and pop or metal and punk like Slipknot, Korn and Less Than Jake.
The funny thing is I like metal like them and other less "cool" music. I like Disturbed, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Staind and Nirvana while liking U2, REM and the Beatles. I am also particularly fond of Peter Gabriel's music (I wonder if Up will ever be released?!). So it is possible for someone my age to defy convention and like all types of music from all times. But obviously U2 are the best!!!

Originally posted by popkidu2:
Everyone is a closet U2 fan....some just don't know it...

wow popkidu2 that is crazy... a guy in my art class told me this very thing like a week ago!!! You two share minds
cool.gif
It's true most people in my high school don't quite "get" my U2 obsession... but this guy surely did. I loved that quote of his (and now, yours). Would make a nice sig I think
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom