Thank You Larry Mullin Jr.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've heard it here first....

The primetime verbalized version of the now-legendary "The Mullen Apology" will open new doors and career opportunities for the band.

Mullen has proved his mettle as being a very compassionate and articulate human being.

I won't be surprised if come the next U2 album, Mullen will share song songwriting credits.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
You've heard it here first....

The primetime verbalized version of the now-legendary "The Mullen Apology" will open new doors and career opportunities for the band.

Mullen has proved his mettle as being a very compassionate and articulate human being.

I won't be surprised if come the next U2 album, Mullen will share song songwriting credits.

Cheers,

J

jick....what do you want him to do? say nothing if he had said nothing you'd critcize them for that

Honestly I do think you bring a good perspective here foricing us to question some of the things the band does....but it doesn't mean yoru immune from spouting BS like you have been this weekend.

People forget in this ticket fiasco how accessible u2 are for men of their stature, how well they try to meet fans when they get a chance and sign autographs and pose for photos.

I think that u2 has managed this ticket fiasco well, they recognized the mistake, apologized moved to correct it, and it seems like sales for cities other than the first few went decently.

Jick, you seem to love to critcize this band for being good at marketing themselves

dude....that's not a downpoint..how many great bands have we missed out on because they didn't know how to sell their product? They know they make great music, why wouldn't they go out and do their best to showcase it....after all the grammy's are supposed to showcase music.

u2 have proven they can be successful in any business climate, be it the radio driven, record sales and touring ages of the early 80's the MTV era, and the internet era,

good management and good music...isn't a crime.

hey guys, check out www.u2mp3s.com

there's a blog about an interview with Bono prior to the performance at the Grammy's.

I sense there's a major problem within the band that came very close of not performing last night and all year.

to be perfectly honest, everyone who complained about the tickets... myself included... are a bunch of selfish a-holes. we all knew about Edge's daughter's situation, yet all we cared about was not getting stinkin' GA tickets, blaming U2 for being sellouts and greedy. we're all a bunch of douches.

Arun V said:

I think that u2 has managed this ticket fiasco well, they recognized the mistake, apologized moved to correct it, and it seems like sales for cities other than the first few went decently.

Jick, you seem to love to critcize this band for being good at marketing themselves

good management and good music...isn't a crime.

Where here am I criticizing the band?

I am thanking King Larry for his great efforts! One of the greatest Grammy acceptance speeches of all time! While every self-absorbed Grammy winner tries to be so up there and thank all their record execs, King Larry does the exact opposite. He apologizes to the fans! King Larry makes himself ONE with the fans and sympathizes with the fans. He bridges the gap, kinda like how God became man through Jesus.

Where did I ever criticize King Larry or U2?

U2, through King Larry, have handled the mess with great class.

As for good management and good music, I have always stressed that in the past anyway that U2 have those elements working hand in hand very well.

I am really stumped as to why you are accusing me of criticizing the band.

Cheers,

J

Headache in a Suitcase said:
to be perfectly honest, everyone who complained about the tickets... myself included... are a bunch of selfish a-holes. we all knew about Edge's daughter's situation, yet all we cared about was not getting stinkin' GA tickets, blaming U2 for being sellouts and greedy. we're all a bunch of douches.

That is what I have been saying all along about all of those that took the complaining to extremes... Thankfully a lot of you are seeing the other side of the coin and realizing that life happens to everyone, even the men of U2

I really didn't see Jick criticize the band this time.

I really felt like their (Larry & Edge) acceptance speech last night was directed at the fans and no one else. They knew we'd be watching.

It's funny that a couple of people at work today who know what a U2 fan I am have come up to me today to tell me they had never witnessed a band reach out to their fans in such a personal way.

For whatever reason I feel really sad today.:(

What last night made me realize even more then I did before is how much I will miss U2 performing and giving heartfelt speeches when they eventually do call it quits...I will be enjoying every moment of this tour and it was wonderful of Larry to speak to the most loyal fans and tell them how he feels and how the band feels.

ramblin rose said:
It's funny that a couple of people at work today who know what a U2 fan I am have come up to me today to tell me they had never witnessed a band reach out to their fans in such a personal way.

No band has ever reached out to their fans in primetime tv. Other bands would rather kiss the arses of their record execs thanking them.

No other band has violated protocol and rehearsals by going straight to the crowd in SNL (twice - in 2001 and 2004!).

No other band has had 100 record execs watch them rehearse for the Grammies.

No other band has played 3 songs in SNL, and played even more long after the show was gone.

No other band has had their King apologize so touchingly to their fans and admit fault like they did.

No other band has lasted more than a quarter of a century as a relevant influential force in the music biz.

No other band ....oh fuck it ...let's just go straight to the point...

There is only one U2.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
jick said:

No band has ever reached out to their fans in primetime tv. Other bands would rather kiss the arses of their record execs thanking them.

No other band has violated protocol and rehearsals by going straight to the crowd in SNL (twice - in 2001 and 2004!).

No other band has played 3 song in SNL, and played even more long after the show was gone.

No other band has had their King apologize to touchingly to their fans and admit fault like they did.

No other band has lasted more than a quarter of a century as a relevant influential force in the music viz.

There is only one U2.

Cheers,

J

It scares me when I agree with you Jick, but you are right on with this post

:applaud:

:applaud:

I haven't even heard the message yet but what a classy display by an musician. In today's fabricated music world, an effort such as this is unprecedented and I'm sure will be well received by the U2 fanbase. When I see the band behave in this manner, I am prouder than ever to be a fan of this band and their music.

CDragon said:
there's a blog about an interview with Bono prior to the performance at the Grammy's.

I sense there's a major problem within the band that came very close of not performing last night and all year. [/B]

yep, when Larry said 'live music is where we live, we almost couldn't perform tonight' something along those lines, I thought it really odd because I have no idea what he's talking about. I knew about the ticket mess but what could have happened that they came close to not performing; they where at rehearsal weren't they?

I think Larry was refering to Edges daughters health in that quote.

I think it is very great for U2 to be going on the road with all this stuff happening around them.

When Larry got up there and started to speak, I thought he was going to just say thank you, and I thought to myself, "I hope he says something about the tickets". And he did.

What a great guy -- as others have said, a class act. THANK YOU, LARRY! javascript:smilie(':kiss:')
Between this and the email letter, I feel so much better about how things have been lately.

:love: Once again, they've proven what classy, PROFESSIONAL, caring human beings they are. :love:

Anyone who saw them perform and/or speak last night (with all that's going on in their professional and personal lives) and STILL has to ask me why I love U2????? - they must be completely daft. :coocoo: As I've said before... How could I NOT love them?

:rockon: :bono: :edge: :larry: :adam: :rockon:

I finally got the chance to read other posts about Edge's daughter. I hadn't realized the seriousness of her illness. So I feel sort of ashamed that here I was hoping Larry would talk about tickets, when they have matters like this to worry about.

A tour is wonderful, but not as important as Sian's life.

I wonder how many people who've never been to interference.com knew WTF Larry was talking about?

CDragon said:
hey guys, check out www.u2mp3s.com

I sense there's a major problem within the band that came very close of not performing last night and all year.

I hope everyone reads this blog entry. I think this should put the whole controversy to bed.

jick said:

No other band has played 3 songs in SNL, and played even more long after the show was gone.

No other band has had their King apologize so touchingly to their fans and admit fault like they did.

No other band has lasted more than a quarter of a century as a relevant influential force in the music biz.

There is only one U2.

Cheers,

J
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Heres an excerpt from the blog entry:

"B: (following summarized for key points) The sad thing is the whole thing happened because of Edge's situation. The tour was canceled 5 times. People worked round the clock just to keep the tour alive. Some people got snubbed and they've a right to complain, but some people are taking it too far -- those people aren't fans, they've an agenda. The heartwrenching thing is -- there's a little girl fighting for her life. (pause) It's our fault. It was an error. And we're doing everything we can to fix it.

I knew there was something more going on.

I really would like to hear the apology from Larry, as I didn't get to hear it either.

Back
Top Bottom