Tensions in U2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no
confused.gif

When and where did he say this??
Sounds pretty unlikely they all look like their having a great time right now!

I wouldn't be surprised. They are in the middle of the tour + recording that remake of 'What's Goin' On' + Bono's Dad died. It's a lot to handle.

Hmmmm...tensions? I have tensions with my wife at times, doesn't mean I stop loving her. It just means we communicate through whatever is bugging me or her. U2 have been doing this for 20 plus years now, and I'm sure there are bound to be tensions that appear, especially when your life as been turned upside down since last year with the promotional tour and now the Elevation tour which still hasn't ended yet. Your going to get tensions when you as an individual give reactions that will eventually have to become what eveyone will eventually agree on is good for the band, the song, the tour, the fans. The tensions that appear in U2 have always been channeled eventually into a very positive, and productive way for U2. I wouldn't worry about it, but I would rejoice in it, because for U2 and their fans, it has always given us something unforgettable.

Chris

Tensions when?

Now?

During the US tour?

During the recording of ATYCLB?

Post-PopMart?

During PopMart?

Recording Pop?

Could you be more specific? Did he allude to what kind of tensions they were? Are we talking "Achtung, Baby" recording session-like tensions or just the usual, run-of-the-mill ones that are always there and nothing to worry about?

The last great U2 "crisis" was during the recording of ATYCLB when they decided to break up if the album didn't live up to the artistic standards of their best albums.

I think maybe he was speaking of this article: http://www2.youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=11614

U2 manager lifts the lid on tensions in supergroup

U2 manager Paul McGuinness has spoken publicly about his bitter split
with the band's former accountant Ossie Kilkenny, in an in-depth
interview about himself and the world famous rock group.

Asked about the break up, Mr McGuinness admitted it was "certainly a
very big falling out".

But he refused to elaborate apart from saying: "I don't know what to say
about Ossie. My mother used to say: if you can't think of anything good
to say about a person, say nothing at all, and I'll think I'll take her
advice."

Ossie Kilkenny had worked with the band for 10 years before they
parted ways around the time of the Popmart world tour, which the U2
manager admits lost money on the southern hemisphere visits to South
Africa, Australia and South America.

Mr McGuinness said: "The Popmart tour suffered from poor financial
controls, or if you like, too much enthusiasm."

In the interview Mr McGuinness speaks openly about his relationship with
Bono and the other members of U2.

He said it had "changed enormously over the last 24 years" and added:
"We are still good friends, we have had enormous success together, and
we have a lot of mutual respect, but the key is that we know how to keep
out of each other's way as well as how to be together.

"Everybody needs their own space and needs to learn from their own
mistakes."

He also emphasised it was important that the band were involved in the
business side of things. "It would be pathetic to be good at music and
bad at business."

Speaking during the concert at Slane, he went on: "We take decisions
together. Sometimes we make our decisions painfully slowly because
everyone is involved, but it is important to find consensus and
agreement on all the issues."

His ambition for the band is underlined by his anger that U2's US label
released an album by Jay-Z in the same week as "All That You Can't
Leave Behind". Mr McGuinness said: "It was extremely annoying this
record did not go to number one in the US. It was particularly annoying
that it was dislodged by another artist from the same company. What
Universal seem to need is an air traffic controller."

But he remained upbeat about the album's prospects. "My guess is this
record is going to be bigger than 'The Joshua Tree' in the fullness of
time." He also believes the band is doing its finest work now. He said: "I
see no sign of them stopping.

If it is now then it probably has something to do with stress and free time.Bono especially has had a lot resently.He has hardly seen his new son and his much loved father has just died.As a result I wouldn't be suprised if there were tensions but I am sure they will work them out.They always have before.

------------------
Sometimes it is necessary to touch bottom in order to know which way is up

Well, I love U2 but the probable reality is that they are a band only insofar as they have to be - Adam is not close with any of the three other members or Paul M. anymore. Look at Slane - he was hanging out beforehand at the Castle with the owner, none of the other three were there. After the show the boys had a party at the Clarence - where Adam was the only no-show. Adam indicated in an interview in Ireland that he was going to spend this month "far away" from all things U2 and "probably going to a beach somewhere". The point being is that while its advantageous for him to continue in U2, if he hadn't already been playing with the same 3 guys for 20 years he certainly wouldn't be choosing these three if it were up to him.

I'm not knocking Adam for not being more involved in U2, I'm just saying based on books, interviews, and stories such as the band showing up to shows in 4 different cars (plus Paul M's tacit acknowledgement that they "stay out of each other's way"), it's plain to see that tensions are there and that the band only interacts when absolutely necessary.

These guys spend more time together than you actually think, even after 25 years. I'm sure Adam does stuff on his own sometimes, but in general, I can't think of a tighter band than U2, over the past 25 years. Unlike other bands, these guys are all true friends. Adam says he has not known anyone else longer than his bandmates. The last Saturday of this month will mark 25 years since they all got together in Larry's parents kitchen to meet and play together for the first time!

AH. So if you read that long article you will see it is not tensions among the 4 key members of the band and Paul, but the tension their scheming accountant caused the band.

In other words, slow U2 news day.

There is no more tension in the band now than there has been in the past. In fact, my guess is that any tension is probebly at one of its lower points right now because they are having so much success. I think tension was probebly pretty high at the beginning of Popmart back in 97 but that doesnt mean the band is splitting up.

About the separate car thing. That is a crock. In Chicago on 5-15-01 Adam and Edge arrived in the same car and got out and signed autographs for everyone. Adam was very nice and seemed very happy to me. Also, when they arrived at the Detroit show Larry and Bono were in one car and Edge and Adam were in the other.

I agree with U2LA, slow U2 news day.

I don't know... I thought I read a news clip from Interference U2news link a couple days ago that U2 were pursuade Boyzone? manager to replace McGuinness... or was I hallucinating on the Internet?????

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
I don't know... I thought I read a news clip from Interference U2news link a couple days ago that U2 were pursuade Boyzone? manager to replace McGuinness... or was I hallucinating on the Internet?????

You must have eaten one of my cookies.
wink.gif

------------------
"Look what you did you little JERK!"

"Kevin! You're such a disease!"

Originally posted by U2LA:
AH. So if you read that long article you will see it is not tensions among the 4 key members of the band and Paul, but the tension their scheming accountant caused the band.

Exactly why I posted the article. I think some people saw its length and didn't feel like reading it...

[This message has been edited by Zoomeranger (edited 09-09-2001).]

theSoulfulMofo: I read that link too, it happened in the mid-eighties if I remember correctly. I thought it was interesting, it showed the band was looking for a pop image.

whew... so i'm not crazy after all-- contrary to my shrink....

------------------
"Lookin for baby Jesus under the trash..."

Personally I think the seperate car issues, time apart etc, even setting aside the issues of large families involved, is healthy for a band that's been together this long.

You start out tightly wound together, but imagine working and spending free time with your brother and sister for 20 years. If you did so you would end up hating them or neglecting your other friends and family members.

So all in all, I see the time apart as a good sign,as long as they can still work together. I think the album and the tour is proof of a well working unit.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

[This message has been edited by hermes (edited 09-09-2001).]

Guys I am sure the band probably go months without speaking when they are not recording or touring.

This is a band which records and tours on a four year cycle if they take 18 months to write and record and album and then tour for a year that gives 18 months off in every four years.

I am sure they still talk and see other occasionally when there not working, but would you want to spend time with someone you worked with on your holidays.

Like in any interpersonal situation people arguee and fight its only human. Do you remember the Police Sting and Stuart Copeland used to fight in interviews and they did Ok......Ok they have split up now but you get my point.....creative tension is productive.

U2 are lucky in that any band tension is kept under wraps as the crew and office staff are very loyal and professional and so don't run to the press at any oppotunity.

In DC Adam and Larry were in the same car and Edge and Bono arrived alone in different cars. The Adam shit is just that a lot of Shit. Adam said at the U2 does Much show when asked is greatest accomplishment he said it is being in U2 and U2 is who and what he is. Bono and Adam are still very close. Adam and Larry are very close. Edge moved in with Adam when he and his wife split. Adam was the only member of U2 to go to Bob Hewsons B-Day last year. The band still get to geather on holidays, birthdays ect. All the members of U2 have families and friends that they spend time with when they are not doing the U2 thing. I got into an argument with my sister on Friday and I am taking a break from her for a while. She is really on my last nerve lately. Being to much of the opinionated older sister. Does that mean I don't love her of course not and that I will never talk to her again? Oh please. Did it occur to anyone that Adam is very good friends with the owner of Slane and is the man's daughters God father so what if the other band members weren't there. All the other members have kids and maybe couldn't spend the day at the castel. Adam doesn't drink maybe he did't want to be with a bunch of drunk people after the show. Give the guy a break. Adam doesn't have any kids if I had a month off I would go to a quite beach with my boyfriend after being away for 7 months. Boy that one is hard one to figure out. Where does it say that all four members have to be up each others ass all the time?

Seperate cars?!!! ahhh blisss
After years of travelling round in cramped transit vans squeezed amongst sweaty rock musicians and a PA threatening to squash us if we hit the brakes suddenly,it sounds like heaven to me. As soon as we were rich enough, it would be seperate cars all the way, jose!! I think that is a sign of wealth and perhaps security, not tension.
And I just love Paul McG quoting his mum, that is soooo sweet. Funny thing, that is exactly the same saying as one of my mum's childhood mantras.lol. Universal mum truths. I love 'em.
Adam's on a beach somewhere hey?hmmmmmm, got my thought picture for the day , thanks
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom