Taking A Break From U2/U2's Biggest Musical Weakness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
onyourkneesboy said:
Great post namkcuR. You hit the nail right on the head!
I agree with you completely (accept for Yahweh which I think sound great on the album)

Below i'll reply on your post to catch on to it.
It's indeed something I said before in this forum but it fits perfect to your post.

Here it is:

Introducing HTDAAB and it's first single Vertigo, U2 used shitloads of swagger and blah-blah to be heard by the masses. It is known that they, again like with ATYCLB, wanted to be the biggest of the biggest !! Again...!
Well, of course they are! But for years now the music starts to suffer with this attitude.

I'm getting bored with Bono's blah-blah about U2 still wanting to be the best, the biggest, and so on...Bono: Come on!!, just MAKE great music! Don't talk about it! Get your ass FULL TIME in the studio and CREATE with the boys extraordinary music like you've done in the years before! Create landscapes, atmospheres…
I admire you for your spirit and effort for the good cause, but the music suffers from it! Come on man, focus on the music! Get mysterious again, epic, poetic, ambient, take your fans on a ride.

I think people nowadays hunger for some imagination, getting sucked into landscapes, atmospheres in music, not only sincerity. Don't we all want to hear a band that doesn't give a shit if the new CD sells, but want to make a record that is original, experimental and is not written for the masses. Like The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby and Zooropa were. Bono said about HTDAAB: "I want every song to sound like it could be released as a single.." Man, with this attitude in the songwriting-proces they tend to shift towards sounding like Bon Jovi.

U2 should focus on making surprising, artistically interesting songs again that come from another place like: Tomorrow, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, In God's Country, Love Comes Tumbling, Walk To The Water (talking about a gem!), The Fly, Acrobat, Until The End Of The World, Lemon, Heartland, Love Is Blindness, Please, When I Look At The World, Mercy…
These song are creative, emotional in a subtle way, multi-layered, spiritual, and come from places out of this world. While, except for Yahweh and A Man And A Woman!
The songs on HTDAAB sound like everyday life. Down to earth, too straight-on, flat, plain lyrics, no surprises, so therefore less interesting and not long lasting as the earlier albums full of gems, and not full of "hit-singles"!
More and more you hear people getting bored with U2 because they don't tickle the listeners imagination anymore en don't delve into unknown territory. I'm afraid right now they've fallen into the trap of being the biggest, therefore pleasing the masses. U2 should not sell out and become they're on tribute-band ! (This was they're attitude during AB and Zooropa btw!)

Further on the lack of inspiration and originality on HTDAAB:
Miracle Drug has the sound, and structure of Beautiful Day.
City Of Blinding Lights is the most predictable, cheesy song ever by U2! Of course one can discuss personal taste but hardly anyone has these kind of doubts about the song The Unforgettable Fire. No discussion: this song blows COBL right out of the water. It has this lasting power. COBL doesn't. It just has a stupid yell as a chorus and it's great fun to yell it all together in a stadium. But no more than that!
All Because Of You is like Rolling Stones and still they didn’t nail this song, just boring rock-and-roll for elderly men, One Step Closer has nice lyrics but: yawn…boring, Crumbs is a straight copy from Walk On (talking about lazy songwriting!) Anyway, 8 out of 11 songs have major problems!

The point is: many years ago U2 was a young band who wanted to make music no one ever heard before: spontaneous, passionate, spiritual and while trying they achieved this but they weren’t aware of it at the time! They were half in the shadow, half in the light. One could hear that creating extraordinary music was their obsession. They were full-time passionately attached to this obsession. Nowadays they can’t/want seem to reach that point anymore. The last 2 albums are good, with good songs on them. But not more than that. 85% is indeed dry and one-dimensional.
Now that they have the attitude: “o.k., we now know how to write a good song, so listen what we got!” (with a lot of swagger). Sorry Bono, you can scream to the world that City Of Blinding Lights is one of the best songs ever, but it’s nowhere near Streets, Unforgettable or Please!! And I think he knows it.
The more a song or album lacks this magic, the more he brags about it, and feels he has to back it up with a lot of noise and blah-blah…Everybody knows that by now Bono! It’s so see-through…

But I’m still waiting for a great return of my favourite band. And I’m convinced when they keep a few things in mind, we’ll hear them as we never heard them before, full of surprises. A few things that could help them:
1. take risks musically (like in the AB and Zooropa-era)
2. forget about wanting to be the biggest, best or whatever!
3. in songwriting: search for weird, unknown territory, dark/light sounds, dark/light landscapes
4. forget about: “how do we appeal to the largest number of listeners/audience”
5. forget about: “how do we play this live?”
6. forget the down-to-earth thing: get the passion and the poetry back
7. u2 is a 6-member band: get Eno and Lanois back for the atmosphere and special moods, the colour, the melody, the extra push for the surprises
8. Bono: be there 100% when it comes to the writing process. In the studio, FULL TIME, with the others all the time! Stimulate each other! Fight, argue, experiment, whatever but look for new grounds!

It’s going to be hard labour again for them. Like UF and AB were… But man, what a result! And I think they can pull it of again. They just need to forget their ego’s and giganticness for a while!

So now, you can all burn me down and nag that this is just another bashing-thread... Or nit-pick about what words are being used… Or that I sound intolerant or whatever, that’s all fine.. That’s just what I expect and that’s what always happens, but I can take it. .

It’s not about bashing... I’m just being very critical en maybe a little (too) sharp, but that’s because I care so much! I KNOW they can do better, although the last 2 albums are quite good. But it lacks that special extra…

Holy Shi:censored: , onyourknees. This post hits on exactly what I've been saying in so many earlier threads. You really articulated EXACTLY what I've been trying to say since I've been posting here.

I've been burned and bashed here before by saying and taking your point a bit to the next level by saying it's BONO.

He lacks the commitment to the songwriting and to the Band. Remember a few months ago he said that he was going to step back from all of his charity stuff to "serve these men", get back into being more than just a part time member. I really wonder how much time he has spent in this hiatus on songs?

He lacks the balls - yes he talks like he has the balls but he doesn't deliver. After 25+ years making great music - fuck what the Media, the fair weather fans and anyone else out there says. Go out and take some chances, be experimental. Where are those great layered atmopheric songs and lyrics that made many of us such U2 fanatics? I know people and bands change but where is that passion?

Remember how Bono used to get so pissed off when Sandler and Fallon and whoever made fun of him on SNL? He's actually become that charicature of himself. He's become that exact person who U2 seemed to challenge in thier earlier years.

I've stated on these boards that I think if you put ATYCLB and HTDAAB together you might get 10-12 great tracks to make a good U2 album. I'm going to be very suspect until there next album comes out, I want them to kick down the walls so to speak.

I pretty much agree with everything namkcur says. Terrific post - you are an honest-with-yourself U2 fan, which is refreshing to see.

That said, I disagree with the continued lumping of ATYCLB with HTDAAB. ATYCLB was squeaky-clean polished, yes; but it was also exceedingly tuneful and original in its own way. Plus it possesses 2 incomparable U2 classics, 'Beautiful Day' and 'Walk On'. It was America's healing album, post-9/11. HTDAAB can make no such claims. ATYCLB will be remembered long from now as U2's best latter-era record - HTDAAB no where close.

IMHO, of course. This from a 23-year fan who has seen them on 5 tours.

MumblingBono said:
I pretty much agree with everything namkcur says. Terrific post - you are an honest-with-yourself U2 fan, which is refreshing to see.

That said, I disagree with the continued lumping of ATYCLB with HTDAAB. ATYCLB was squeaky-clean polished, yes; but it was also exceedingly tuneful and original in its own way. Plus it possesses 2 incomparable U2 classics, 'Beautiful Day' and 'Walk On'. It was America's healing album, post-9/11. HTDAAB can make no such claims. ATYCLB will be remembered long from now as U2's best latter-era record - HTDAAB no where close.

IMHO, of course. This from a 23-year fan who has seen them on 5 tours.

The only reason I lump ATYCLB and HTDAAB together is because IMHO there isn't enough good songs on each album to make them great by themselves. My thinking is if you put maybe 6 of the best songs from ATYCLB and 5-6 from HTDAAB you'd have a good U2 CD.

onyourkneesboy said:

First off: He DOES know what he's talking about!: they're complex in originality and lasting power! We're not talking musical structure here

Second: Yeah maybe, so what?
You sound like you don't want certain things to be said, at all..! (maybe because they hurt a little because deep down you know I could be right?)

Maybe some things are said before but that's also because hardly anyone replies wisely to what's being said. Most comments are from the "blind-followers" who seem to yell halleluja about every fart U2 puts on an album. And they only manege to reply with comments like: "find another band.., stop nagging.., don't listen to it if you don't like it.., it's all about taste..,"

Let me tell you this: it's NOT about taste, it's all about QUALITY and ORIGINALITY. I'm a hardcore U2-fan myself and the U2 I think is best puts you on the wrong leg on first listen. Make you go like: "what the hell is this?" The U2 that surprises me! U2 should delve into theirselves and not look for creating another chart sensitive-album with hitsingles.

I'm not a blind follower...

I'm just sick of these "complexity" and "challenging" arguments. These terms people throw around yet can't back up.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not a blind follower...

I'm just sick of these "complexity" and "challenging" arguments. These terms people throw around yet can't back up.

True.

Throw "overproduced" in there as well.

Well, NamkuR isn't saying wrong things actually, but....
I personnally don't dislike the last album, I like it very much.That's how U2 are now, they do records from a perspective of mature men. They talk about their lives, about their families and about their experiences, about a life of 4 middle aged men, father of sons and daughters, with problems and happy things to tell. RHCP kinda struggle with an improbable wish to stay the everlasting funky freaking guys, and this makes them even a bit pathetic sometimes. If you look back, for instance at By The Way, this is a quite disappointing record for what they were using to do in their past times. I personnally like the level where U2 are now. It seems that some seem to forget that U2 have already done what they want to see again. I call this personal nostalgia about the idles you were screaming for. MacPhisto doesn't exist anymore, Mirrorball Man is over, Bono with the white flag is passed, Edge's cowboy ambitions are blown away, too, the Lemon has been squeezed. They have grown up, they must show what they are now. Music always reflects your state of mind, your "now face", the world where you belong "right now". So, their music reflects what they are now, and I think yo must get into this, not searching anything else that doesn't exist. What do you pretend of them? They're not robots, you can't always fancy on the thoughts of "how I want U2". They did one of their ever best tours, sold out, with songs played like they have never done before. What have they showed during this tour? They still want to make music, they still want to have fun making and playing music, but in the same time they act like 4 old friends, like 4 our fathers, like 4 wisemen who give you a couple of good and interesting advices. Don't you like it? No one prohibites to step off

Last edited:
This is one of the best threads in a long time. Even though I really enjoy the last two albums, I agree with almost everything said here.

And, Stadium Arcadium :bow:

babyman said:
Well, NamkuR isn't saying wrong things actually, but....
I personnally don't dislike the last album, I like it very much.That's how U2 are now, they do records from a perspective of mature men. They talk about their lives, about their families and about their experiences, about a life of 4 middle aged men, father of sons and daughters, with problems and happy things to tell. RHCP kinda struggle with an improbable wish to stay the everlasting funky freaking guys, and this makes them even a bit pathetic sometimes. If you look back, for instance at By The Way, this is a quite disappointing record for what they were using to do in their past times. I personnally like the level where U2 are now. It seems that some seem to forget that U2 have already done what they want to see again. I call this personal nostalgia about the idles you were screaming for. MacPhisto doesn't exist anymore, Mirrorball Man is over, Bono with the white flag is passed, Edge's cowboy ambitions are blown away, too, the Lemon has been squeezed. They have grown up, they must show what they are now. Music always reflects your state of mind, your "now face", the world where you belong "right now". So, their music reflects what they are now, and I think yo must get into this, not searching anything else that doesn't exist. What do you pretend of them? They're not robots, you can't always fancy on the thoughts of "how I want U2". They did one of their ever best tours, sold out, with songs played like they have never done before. What have they showed during this tour? They still want to make music, they still want to have fun making and playing music, but in the same time they act like 4 old friends, like 4 our fathers, like 4 wisemen who give you a couple of good and interesting advices. Don't you like it? No one prohibites to step off

Thats a very good set of point mate! They had certain issues that needed to be dealt with and the fact that they chose to deal with matters of the heart such as Bono's fathers passing, their famalies etc shows that it isnt an album for the media soaked masses but was what they needed to do, what they felt at that time. As Larry Mullen once said its a musical journey! The albums reflect their lives and the times - the tours deliver the performances like only they can! The band are still peaking but HTDAAB is an album made by middle aged men reflecting their time and their lives.

When their career is done (I know its unimaginable) it will all fit togather perfectly. Each album has a place in their hearts and ours for different reasons.

I can't really agree to your theory on the missing complexity, in fact, I believe that happens to be one of the primary problems with the new material. So, I agree something vital is missing from today's U2, what exactly is it? (your post has driven me to finally think about it)

Intelligence. Relativity.

U2 yester years, were rather like Einstein & Newtonian in their content and musical exploration. Christ, one of my favourite pastimes was having somebody read the lyrics, while listening to that annoying song always playing on the radio...and finally getting it. The similies/metaphors, the references, the concepts/notions of love, religion, humanity were fresh and always pioneering. Today's U2 is bland lyrically - I couldn't take the lyric sheet for anything post 2000 (except perhaps for walk on) and proudly demand somebody go through it while it is playing in the background. Musically it's the same - yesteryear, I loved the process of initially hating the music, and slowly coming to realize the charm of it. Hmm...perhaps you're right NamkcuR, I really enjoyed discovering the "layers", as you call it. Only they were so subtle previously. The layers today are audible/visible instantly and it doesn't really "grow" on you, like it seemed to in the past. As good as some of the songs are on HTDAAB, they sound the same as they did when I first found them..."good".

And then there's relativity. U2 were always one step ahead of my life curve, or so it seemed. I'm quite confident I'm not alone in saying that at times they covered a large part of my personal life. They personally touched me and personally nourished/influenced my perspectives on the world at large. U2 today is something I don't relate to at all. The only real joy left for me as a U2 lover is seeing them getting their acclaim & accord - they deserve it like no other, and I do so cherish their successes. Content and musically, post 2000, their material hasn't changed/shaped/influenced or clarified my life at all. Maybe its that they guys are in their mid 40's and simply have a much more earthly perspective? That's only rational, and completely normal. I mean, U2 going on about strife in love, humanity probably would be contrived at this point in their lives. They are settled and comfortable, which is only natural at your mid 40's. I'm 30 so I've got a few more years of an idealistic outlook before I probably succumb to a peaceful life. Reaching there....

Something just occured to me as I wrote that last part - I'm always making excuses for U2 today. always.

Truthfully, the persuasiveness of their earlier material cannot be found in U2 post 2000 for me. What you see is exactly what you get. They are a well oiled machine that delivers a steady and dependable product, but that just doesn't do it for me. At night, when listening to them on my ipod, it's easy to fall asleep - it wasn't possible at all with their earlier material. It was holy hell annoying that I had to turn off U2 before I could get any sleep - they had a way of constantly reaching into my thoughts/feelings.

great post namkcuR, absolutely outstanding. Kudos to you for finally getting me to put my finger on what bugs me about U2.

Last edited:
why is it if you actually like the last 2 albums, and find them to be up there with the best your not listend to and just called a blind follower?

KUEFC09U2 said:
why is it if you actually like the last 2 albums, and find them to be up there with the best your not listend to and just called a blind follower?

in my book you are an individual with good taste and an ear for quality!:up:

CKONE said:

in my book you are an individual with good taste and an ear for quality!:up:
its always been the way, ever since i joined this board, if you like any recent stuff and really rate it you classed as a blind follower of a sheep,

some people seem to consider it an actual fact that U2 arent as good as they where, rather than it just being in there own personal taste

KUEFC09U2 said:
its always been the way, ever since i joined this board, if you like any recent stuff and really rate it you classed as a blind follower of a sheep,

some people seem to consider it an actual fact that U2 arent as good as they where, rather than it just being in there own personal taste

It happens because many like to wake up in the morning and become suddenly big music criticians. In the end, it's always a question of taste, nothing is given, that's what some must sometimes understand.

babyman said:

It happens because many like to wake up in the morning and become suddenly big music criticians. In the end, it's always a question of taste, nothing is given, that's what some must sometimes understand.
:up:

babyman said:

:yes: :yes:

and in my view it seems that Namkur always disliked bomb , now he just back trying to argument once more why it in his/her head is not good . Thats purely taste

"Stadium Arcadium": yes, is a good album, as I haven't listened in many years, but it is not that big deal as many wants to make the world believe. From those 28 songs, I take 18/19 and make a real good album. There are too much great songs, but there are too much fillers too there.
And come on, if HTDAAB is pop and radio friendly, "Stadium Arcadium" is not? Bull shit. That may be a double album (wow, we made so much material in 4 years!) but the riscs are the same as the present U2.
And if HTDAAB represents 40teenaged U2 re-making the best that they are, the RHCP album leaves the dejá vu feeling too in a few songs, it's not imune.
This was just another pretext to lay down the U2 of the 00's...
This phase was needed, and I (thankfully, as many others) like what they've been doing, but that doesn't mean that the band stagnated and they don't want to take riscs again. Sometimes you have to look back to your long way and put the introspection ahead. That's where they are now.
I still take ATYCLB/HTDAAB over it, despite I think RHCP made a good effort.

There is a great book out right now by Geoff Emerick who worked on a lot of the Beatles' records. he makes an interesting comment at the end of the book about how most music today definitely sounds like it was recorded on a computer. Mistakes can be fixed, vocals can be put into perfect tune, hell you can create an entire harmony track with the original vocal and a processesor!

Bono said that 'Rubber Soul' was an inspiration for ATYCLB where every track sounded like a single. The difference being, there was an organic quality to the sounds of the songs on Rubber Soul. ATYCLB sounded digitally produced.

NOW HOLD ON!!! Don't just hit reply yet!

I actually love the sound and feel of most of the songs on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And I think the over-production aspect started with Zooropa and continued on to POP, but even those albums, you can hear little things here and there, vocal gaffes and mistakes.

I would love to see the third album of this era of U2 be a little rougher around the edges and a little rawer. But I think they have work to finish and when they do, it’ll sound nice and clean.

all in all, a musical weakness to one person could be one of U2's strengths to another,

its very simple

Re: Re: Taking A Break From U2/U2's Biggest Musical Weakness

u2granny said:

I've tried to figure out why HTDAAB never clicked for me and you pretty much nailed it.

:yes: I have to agree with (most) of what's been said here. Even OOTS, which I have to agree with Bono, is the best song on the album, feels overproduced. Fantastic in concert, but overproduced on the album. Calculated is definitely the word for HTDAAB and songs like COBL, Crumbs and ABOY. The lyrics thing annoys me, too. The album doesn't flow like ATYCLB, its songs are discrete but in a way that they're not connected at all, which makes the album sound disjointed.

That said, I am looking forward tremendously to a new album and I wholeheartedly believe that this one will be one like we've never seen (if it ever comes out!), and it'll be damn good. Not that HTDAAB wasn't damn good, but it'll be better, I think.

Last edited:
I agree with Namkcur's original post about the lack of subtlety through their career for the most part.

But to me it seems like they established themselves as a loud, exuberant, post-punk band in the early '80s, then the "big" songs like before and it leaves no room for subtlety.

The most sublime and chaotic album they've ever done I believe is the Passengers album, and it's the farthest U2's been from their comfortable sound. It's great for the most part, but it doesn't feel like a U2 record at all, which was what they were trying to do.

The band should continue to play to their strengths, just add some variety and spontaneity to the songs themselves, not how they present them (The Brooklyn Bridge Show, SNL, Conan, etc...)

I don't understand how you can criticize U2 for a lack of subtlety when they've always wanted to be the Biggest Band In The World. Their songs are intentionally anthems: bombastic, loud and in your face; even the slow ones. U2 has never been shy about telling you what to think or what you should be doing. I don't think subtlety has ever been much of a goal and criticizing them for it is like buying a dog and going, "gee, I really like this dog, but I just wish he were a cat."

ALTYCLB and HTDAAB are not their greatest works (But definately among my favorites). No two ways about it. But ATYCLB did exactly what the band wanted. It resurrected them and made them relevant again. And I don't think the "sold out" argument is appropriate here. You can't accuse a band that's won as many grammy's, done as many soundtracks, etc. as selling out. It's just what they do. Hell, they even walked out of a giant lemon while wearing spandex for God's sake.

The failure of HTDAAB to some U2 fans, I can understand though. It seems as if the band couldn't decide what to do with the album. And I think that's more of the fault of the producers, personally. Bomb was originally supposed to be a punk rock album. Lound, fast, straight forward - A modern reinterpretation of Boy. But songs like OOTS, Miracle Drug, and COBL don't fit that mold; and those were some of the tent pole songs on the album. So they tried to blend the adult contempory songs from the ATYCLB sessions with the new songs and got a mismatch. It's more a greatest hits (had they all been hits) or just simply a collection of songs, rather than an album - if you hold the opinion there's a difference between the two.

If anything, the weakness of Bomb is they tried to inject that subtlety that Namk is looking for. They should have just left it for what it was supposed to be: raw and loud. But I don't think Flood much cares for loud and raw. He wanted ATYCLB II. Thus the disjointed mix.

Leave the subtlety for Coldplay. I just want to sing along.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
I don't understand how you can criticize U2 for a lack of subtlety when they've always wanted to be the Biggest Band In The World. Their songs are intentionally anthems: bombastic, loud and in your face; even the slow ones. U2 has never been shy about telling you what to think or what you should be doing. I don't think subtlety has ever been much of a goal and criticizing them for it is like buying a dog and going, "gee, I really like this dog, but I just wish he were a cat."

ALTYCLB and HTDAAB are not their greatest works (But definately among my favorites). No two ways about it. But ATYCLB did exactly what the band wanted. It resurrected them and made them relevant again. And I don't think the "sold out" argument is appropriate here. You can't accuse a band that's won as many grammy's, done as many soundtracks, etc. as selling out. It's just what they do. Hell, they even walked out of a giant lemon while wearing spandex for God's sake.

The failure of HTDAAB to some U2 fans, I can understand though. It seems as if the band couldn't decide what to do with the album. And I think that's more of the fault of the producers, personally. Bomb was originally supposed to be a punk rock album. Lound, fast, straight forward - A modern reinterpretation of Boy. But songs like OOTS, Miracle Drug, and COBL don't fit that mold; and those were some of the tent pole songs on the album. So they tried to blend the adult contempory songs from the ATYCLB sessions with the new songs and got a mismatch. It's more a greatest hits (had they all been hits) or just simply a collection of songs, rather than an album - if you hold the opinion there's a difference between the two.

If anything, the weakness of Bomb is they tried to inject that subtlety that Namk is looking for. They should have just left it for what it was supposed to be: raw and loud. But I don't think Flood much cares for loud and raw. He wanted ATYCLB II. Thus the disjointed mix.

Leave the subtlety for Coldplay. I just want to sing along.

Coldplay isn't subtle at all. And there is no subtlety in Bomb.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand my criticisms? I know that U2 has always lacked subtlety and I know that they have always intentionally been a 'shout it from the rooftops' band. And that worked for most of their career. They created some incredible rock music that way. All I'm saying is that the bigger and more epic a song is, the more complex the substance of the song has to be in order for the song to have the impact it's supposed to have. 'Oh you look so beautiful tonight' is very hollow compared to 'I will be with you again', simply because there is a hundred times as much going on behind 'I will be with you again' as there is going on behind 'oh you look so beautiful tonight'. That's what I'm getting at.

U2 will never put out a song with the subtlety of 'You And Whose Army' or 'Pyramid Song'. That's fine. But the big songs don't have to be hollow songs, and most of the songs on Bomb are hollow to me.

namkcuR , I'm gonna ask u again , what was ur 1st view of Bomb ?

namkcuR said:

'Oh you look so beautiful tonight' is very hollow compared to 'I will be with you again', simply because there is a hundred times as much going on behind 'I will be with you again' as there is going on behind 'oh you look so beautiful tonight'. That's what I'm getting at.

BINGO!!! Either some people here can't see this or they refuse to! :slant:

doctorwho said:

If you really dislike "Bomb" or the new U2, then go off and listen to whatever. Stop posting here, declaring your "revelations" on what "good music" is supposed to be. Stop telling us of your every complaint and your every whim. What's next? Informing us of when you are sleeping and your bathroom breaks? ;)

O.K., I'm being facetious there, but the point remains.

I'll never get this argument no matter how many times it's used. :huh:

I absolutely love everything from Boy thru to Pop and do like to an extent both ATYCLB & HTDAAB. Why the hell shouldn't I post here? Is 'criticism of the band' a crime? It's not like I'm posting in a HTDAAB forum and complaining. This is a 'U2' forum.

You may not have been talking to me in particular but just thought I'd make it clear.

Originally posted by namkcuR

'Oh you look so beautiful tonight' is very hollow compared to 'I will be with you again', simply because there is a hundred times as much going on behind 'I will be with you again' as there is going on behind 'oh you look so beautiful tonight'. That's what I'm getting at.

Zootlesque said:

BINGO!!! Either some people here can't see this or they refuse to! :slant:

You know what, Some people might like COBL better than NYD. I happen to prefer NYD but really couldn't care less if someone disagrees with me.

It's called having an opinion

:huh:

As far as opinions on U2s lack of subtlety either from 1980-2006 or 2000-2006, I don't care. U2 is U2 and I have the albums to prove it. So for me, still it's

1 AB
2 TJT
3 HTDAB

namkcuR said:

Take the Red Hot Chili Peppers' new album, 'Stadium Arcadium'. 'Stadium Arcadium' is everything that 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' is not. It's sprawling and ambitious and eclectic and rough on the edges while Bomb is concise, afraid of disappointing the listener, very much of one musical mindset all the way through, and as polished as records get.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't see how you can say that HTDAAB is "afraid of disappointing the listener". Because, clearly they disappointed you and I bet they knew that going in. Don't you think that's kind of a risk?

Sometimes in order to grow you have to risk alienating your core fanbase. Jack and Jill War fan were pissed off about JT. Jack and Jill JT fan were confused by AB. Jack and Jill AB fan jumped ship because of Pop. Jack and Jill Pop fan find the last 2 album too safe.

All of this reeks of jilted fan syndrome. I think it's great that U2 has the balls to piss off their loyal fans the way they do. There's no way the same can be said of RHCP. SA is alot of ass kissing to their geek squad of fans.

With AB, U2 said "we don't need the pop kids". Recently, U2 have said 'we don't need the 90's lovers. What's the difference between the two? Nothing!

90's fan just happens to be the confused Jacks and Jills of the moment. Don't fret though. You can probably find those old jilted War fans or maybe the old jilted JT fans at your local bar. Then share a drink and discuss how U2 used to be great and then screwed you over while the rest of us keep progressing.

I don't think U2 will ever be slaves to their fanbase like so many other bands are. In that way, I think they're the most independent-minded major band going at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom