take this song, and make it a hit - yahweh!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all_i_want

Refugee
listening to san diego bootlegs have competely changed the way i see this song. acoustic version is so soulful, so passionate, it became an instant favorite for me.

lets see the love for yahweh!:wink:

Hi!

I like the song. Does anyone know where "YAHWEH" originated....sounds like a native American word.

carol
wizard2c
:|

yahweh

yahweh is the english transliteration/translation (bit of both) of the hebrew word for god. it is never meant to actually be spoken but since bono thinks he is god there we go :)

and no one is absolutely sure how to pronounce it for the above reason

Great song!! Would be a ballsy single!!! loL!!

Maybe an acoustic studio or live version would make a kick ass b-side!

all_i_want said:
listening to san diego bootlegs have competely changed the way i see this song. acoustic version is so soulful, so passionate, it became an instant favorite for me.

self-edit

Last edited:
Re: yahweh

gonzo84d said:
it is never meant to actually be spoken but since bono thinks he is god there we go :)
That "rule" only applies to Jews, though, so he's in the clear.

Re: yahweh

gonzo84d said:
yahweh is the english transliteration/translation (bit of both) of the hebrew word for god. it is never meant to actually be spoken but since bono thinks he is god there we go :)

and no one is absolutely sure how to pronounce it for the above reason

He doesn't speak it, he sings it.

I'm sure you've heard this before:

A guy dies and goes up to heaven, and sees all the great rockstars floating around...Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, etc. Then he sees Bono fly by, and turns to St. Peter and asks, "What's the deal? I thought Bono was still alive."

"Oh, that's God," St. Peter replies, "Sometimes He thinks He's Bono."

all_i_want said:

It's the reverse thing for me.
I really hoped that it would be electric, that way it would fit so well with Streets.

I love "Yahweh" but I don't think it's single material. I don't know why. It just won't do well as single. But it is an awesome song!

lets see the love for yahweh!

I loved the song from the very beginning. But I really enjoy the live version.
I've seen the title on this thread several times, and every time I think that the title should have been: " take this song, and make a hit". Now ... now it fits so I can sing it. :huh: (Yeah I know ... pointless)

they'll release yahweh as a single right after they play acrobat live again and right before i eat my hat.

During Zoo Station, Bono actually sang "I'm ready ... I'm ready for the Acrobat.". Don't remember which show it was. So who knows. Maybe Yahweh will be a single... :shrug:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Yeah, I don't like it either! :wink:

Why is it that people like yourself who do nothing else but incessantly criticise the current day U2, always end posts with a :wink:.

Just curious......

Yahweh's became my U2's all-time favourite... I don't know if it could be a single... Who knows U2 brings a surprise... :drool:

I'm disapointed too with the acoustic live version, I just love the way the album version and the alternate are played.

I think "Yahweh" is really the old-hebrew word for God, not an english derivation. That's the reason it can't be pronounced, it is considered like an offense (well, Bono found a way to "scream it":wink: ).

Just the thread I was looking for. Beautiful, "all i want is you"!

There are so many soaring moments in this song. Here's a bit of minutae that thrills me to no end:

At the end of three couplets early on in the song, Bono utters a little "repeat". It's just thrilling when he does it, so very cool. An extra soul-beat within the song.

Take this shirt,
Polyester white trash made in nowhere
Take this shirt
and make it clean

clean

Take this soul
Stranded in some skin and bones
Take this soul
And make it sing

sing

Take these hands
Teach them what to carry
Don’t make a fist...

no

So! later on Bono could choose to do it again, but he doesn't!

Take this mouth
So quick to criticise
Take this mouth
Give it a kiss

Bono could say "kiss" right there, and it would have really worked! But THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF U2!

Just a little sugar for you in Yahweh! But we ain't gonna over do it!

It's the tiny details like this that make me adore U2.

I hope this makes sense!

I've heard the word 'Yahweh' in several contemporary Christian songs. Like stated before, it is sacred in the Jewish tradition and not allowed to be spoken. Christians don't hold that view, though.

I orginally when i wrote a review on a message board for HTDAAB, I siad it was a weak U2 song, which by normal standards translates as 7, but after listening to it for a while, I re-reviewed it and gave it 8.5, its a great song.

It's one of my favourite songs! "Yahweh" is even my nickname in the portuguese forums. Only because of the music...

Probably the best end album track ever IMO...

I loved it live - just so beautiful, especially when Edge's backing vocals kick in. :drool: Was singing it for days following the shows...

I think they would make a statement by turning it into a single. Who cares if it's not a huge commercial success? I don't think the boys can fit more money into their pockets, anyway! And I love the accoustic version! I was at the Phoenix 2 show and it was amazing. Man, that was a great night. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom