***Survivor: Don't You Worry About Your Mind (Albums Rd 12)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote FOR the album you LOVE the MOST

• I :heart: The Joshua Tree

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • I :heart: Achtung Baby

Votes: 106 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beli

Blue Crack Addict
This round you are voting for the WINNER of Survivor Albums. ie please choose your FAVOURITE album out of the two selections.

The last round's non winner was.....

***How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb***

Non Winners List
11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
10. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Pop
8. Zooropa
7. War
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. Boy
4. Rattle and Hum
3. Under a Blood Red Sky
2. October
1. Passengers

The voting from the previous round was as follows:
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 92
The Joshua Tree - 33
Achtung Baby - 19

Total of 144 votes

For the FOURTH successive round the albums finished in exactly the same order. (minus the last rounds "winner").

Round Twelve

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the album you LOVE THE MOST on the electronic poll above. Thank you. Please remember voting is different for this round. You are voting for the album you love the most .

This is a THREE day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote for the album you LOVE THE MOST. The album with the most amount of votes is the Winner of Survivor Albums . Voting is anonymous. Its not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Tie Breaker
In the event of a tie, a 24 hour poll will be run. This poll will consist solely of the tied albums.

In the event of a tied tie breaker, votes from all previous rounds will be tallied to determine a grand total of votes for the tied abums.

In the event of a grand total of votes resulting in a draw, all of the tied albums will be eliminated from the competition.

Last edited:
Has to be The Joshua Tree. Not a weak track on the album.

Achtung Baby, however, is highly over-rated. Let's go back to Lovetown.

Achtung, Baby! No choice. Joshua Tree is great, and has some of my favorite U2 songs. But Achtung, Baby! is a complete experience.

-Miggy D

I don't see why anyone's voting for Achtung Baby over The Joshua Tree. Let's do a quick track-by-track comparison.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name/Zoo Station - I don't eve need to argue Streets is better because we know that to be so.
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/Even Better Than The Real Thing - A deep and insightful spiritual number with an outstanding display of singing versus a shallow rock-pop song. ISHFWILF by a mile.
3. With Or Without You/One - Equals. I personally prefer WOWY, especially live.
4. Bullet The Blue Sky/Until The End Of The World - Equals. And Bullet was far better live, especially on its ZooTV reinvention.
5. Running To Stand Still/Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - The depth and beauty of RTSS leaves WGYWRH unable to even compete.
6. Red Hill Mining Town/So Cruel - RHMT is a beautiful, incredible song, while So Cruel is a distant song that is hard to relate to.
7. In God's Country/The Fly - I love In God's Country but I have to hand this one to The Fly.
8. Trip Through Your Wires/Mysterious Ways - As #7. I love TTYW but Mysterious Ways is better.
9. One Tree Hill/Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - This competition is just plain embarrassing. The meander through b-side country that is TTTYAATW cannot even think of competing with the incredible, emotional, powerful, heart-wrenching beauty of One Tree Hill.
10. Exit/Ultra Violet - I may have come to enjoy Ultra Violet recently, but this semi-deep romantic song trying to sound shallow could never defeat with the dark despair and bleakness of Exit.
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared/Acrobat - Acrobat is the best song on Achtung Baby and the only AB song in my top ten. MOTD may be tremendously sorrowful, but it loses to Acrobat.

Love Is Blindness gets left out in the cold, but oh well.

The Joshua Tree wins by a freakin' mile. And praise AB however much you want to; it does NOT have the opening five like JT and it does not have the incredibleness that is One Tree Hill. Though I have to wonder sometimes whether you have to be a New Zealander to truly appreciate One Tree Hill. It's the first song to ever make me cry.

Although I see your track by track comparison, I haven't read it (yet). To me it's also not important. It's not about the individual songs, but the total flow of the album. :mac:

To me it's also not important. It's not about the individual songs, but the total flow of the album. :mac: [/B]

Yup. And THIS is why AB wins.

I'm not sure if anyone here is saying JT is crap. Far from it. Comparing JT and AB, in my opinion, is like comparing two virtually perfect things. I just happen to prefer AB - it's more like a journey, whereas JT seems to be more of a collection of songs (that is frankly a tad front-heavy).

-Miggy

Popmartijn said:
Although I see your track by track comparison, I haven't read it (yet). To me it's also not important. It's not about the individual songs, but the total flow of the album. :mac:

I think it's about both, and when it comes to overall flow, Achtung Baby's is totally destroyed by the horrific EBTTRT --> One transition. I feel that's the worst flow on any U2 album.

And I really don't expect many people to bother reading my track comparison, heh. I was bored so I wrote it.

beli said:
Axver, do you use Mozilla or IE? Polls don't post properly in Mozilla, only in IE :mad:

I use Mozilla. What happens with the polls? Do I have to use the dreaded IE?

The polls just go wonky and won't post. You can try it in Mozilla to see if its been fixed.

I usually just open IE for a minute, post the poll, and then close IE and go back to Mozilla.

Axver, I'll agree that EBTTRT is the most throwaway track on AB. That's why it's in the #2 slot. Of course, it's about sliding down the surface of things, so it fits.

The Joshua Tree is a magnificent work of poetry, both musical and lyrical. But the achievements of AB are much more numerous in the NEW and varied styles they explore, the gut-wrenching personal nature of the words, and the multiple layers of metaphors representing the people and world around us. Even the location the album was conceived in bleeds into the themes of this record.

You can compare song for song all you like, but in terms of sheer musicianship this one takes the cake. Yeah, JT is profoundly moving, but AB does that and so much more. It's an assault at times and a caress at others. It's a party and a hangover. It's a dream and a nightmare.

There will never be another one like it. Bono so much as admitted it is their best work, and he knows they'll never top it. Nor will anyone else.

laz

Achtung, y'all!

I love JT, but stacked against the glory of Achtung Baby, it just doesn't stand a chance. Achtung Baby is the best album U2 has ever done, and will ever do. Not a weak song in the whole bunch. Listening to AB from start to finish takes you on a roller coaster emotional ride, and I love that. To make that transition from the bitter bottomless pit of So Cruel to the darkly glittering The Fly....wheee!

And don't even get me started on Acrobat... :drool:

ACHTUNG BABIES!!!!!!!!
od course.
Let's mix them

1.Streets
2.Ebttrt-just because i can't hear too much of Ishfwilf
3.One/WOWY-equals but personal one is better
4.UTEOTW-bullet is weak in album
5.RTSS
6.Red hill
7.DA FLY by a 999999999999miles
8.Mysterious ways
9.One tree hill
10.Exit/UV-exit is better live, but in studio UV is better
11.ACROBAT(you even think that MOTD is close)
12.Love is blindness

both albums are great.
Worse songs are Trip and So Cruel, but SO CRUEL wipes anything, not just floor with country piece of shit called Trip...
Personally, TRIP would never be on c-sides!!!!!
but Bono likes it alot because it was played live and ACROBAT and RED HILL weren't.
Acrobat-must be played
Red hill-you say that he can't sing it
he can't sing Pride well enough

Achtung ya all!!!!
ZOO TV
I have a vision-TELEVISION

Axver said:

I think it's about both, and when it comes to overall flow, Achtung Baby's is totally destroyed by the horrific EBTTRT --> One transition. I feel that's the worst flow on any U2 album.

I would strongly disagree. I think this is a perfect transition, when taken in context of the album as a whole.

Achtung Baby is a about a man searching. For himself, for faith, for God, for someone to share his life with. In EBTTRT, he is enamored of the superficial glamour. "This is my woman, isn't she hot?" He has the perfect car, the perfect house, the perfect life. He's got it all.

But all that comes crashing down. In One, the man realizes that all that shallow stuff doesn't matter. And the harsh truth is that love doesn't always last. His relationship is disintegrating. The happy couple of WOWY now spends most of their time fighting and looking for ways to hurt each other. Unhappiness starts to become bitterness. The shallow man of EBTTRT is becoming nothing but a memory.

That's why these two songs work for me, back to back. Sonically it is indeed jarring. In life, however, that's how it goes, unfortunately.

I honestly think having One and the fact that all the songs (can) tell a single story helps out with AB's status.
You'd think an album after first three opening songs like JT's would have no chance of keeping the quality, but it does. After that, you still get Bullet, Running..., Red hill town and One tree hill.

Streets vs Zoo station 1-0
I still... vs Even better 2-0
WOWY vs One a tie
Bullet vs The end 2-1
Running vs Horses 3-1
Town vs Cruel another tie
Country vs Fly 4-1
Trip vs Ways 4-2
Hill vs Arms 5-2
Exit vs Ultra 6-2
Mothers vs Acrobat 6-3

Heartland vs Blindess a tie

Last edited:
miss becky said:

I would strongly disagree. I think this is a perfect transition, when taken in context of the album as a whole.

Achtung Baby is a about a man searching. For himself, for faith, for God, for someone to share his life with. In EBTTRT, he is enamored of the superficial glamour. "This is my woman, isn't she hot?" He has the perfect car, the perfect house, the perfect life. He's got it all.

But all that comes crashing down. In One, the man realizes that all that shallow stuff doesn't matter. And the harsh truth is that love doesn't always last. His relationship is disintegrating. The happy couple of WOWY now spends most of their time fighting and looking for ways to hurt each other. Unhappiness starts to become bitterness. The shallow man of EBTTRT is becoming nothing but a memory.

That's why these two songs work for me, back to back. Sonically it is indeed jarring. In life, however, that's how it goes, unfortunately.

And I strongly disagree with your interpretation. I see EBTTRT as a commentary on the shallowness of modern society, though that's probably not a common viewpoint. And I definitely don't see much of a theme through AB. Ultra Violet to Acrobat? That's totally unrelated. But I digress. The happy couple of WOWY? WOWY has to be one of the most desperate and painful songs U2 have written - there's nothing close to a happy couple there. I don't see it as being much connected to One and I don't see EBTTRT and One as having any relationship at all. Then the transition to UTEOTW? That didn't work until it was done live on ZooTV with the Unchained Melody snippet.

The album is choppy and disorganised. It's definitely no UF or JT when it comes to flow, particularly not atmospherically.

Dagnabbit this is a tough one,er can i vote for Achtung tree or perhaps The Joshua Baby?!? After careful consideration i vote for JT,purely based on the fact that i tend to play it slightly more often:huh:

Back
Top Bottom