***Survivor: Don't You Worry About Your Mind (Albums Rd 12)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote FOR the album you LOVE the MOST

• I :heart: The Joshua Tree

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • I :heart: Achtung Baby

Votes: 106 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
U2girl said:
Like I said, most fans here are in their mid, late 20s as shown by several age polls we did in the past.

These fans got into U2 in the 90's and in most cases, they prefer 90's albums - as we've seen in several albums poll, this one or those in the past.

Why do you think did Zooropa and Pop get so high? Why do you think AB has such a lead in this poll?

that's bullshit.

that doesn't logically make any sense. hey, i started listening to u2 in 2001. does that mean ATYCLB and HTDAAB are my favorite albums? they're not my favorites. the first 3 u2 albums i got were the joshua tree, zooropa, and october, and i liked october over zooropa.

if all the "younger" u2 fans were around in the 80s and 80s u2 didn't appeal to them, then and only then would your arguement hold water. but many of these folks couldn't have possibly liked war when it came out. hell, i wasn't born yet when that album was first released.

The problem here is that U2girl is arguing stereotypes as facts. The STEREOTYPES say that older fans prefer the eighties and younger fans prefer the nineties, and while it may be true that this forum tends to favour nineties U2 and is probably populated by younger fans (beli, you probably remember the results of the age poll - how did that turn out?), that does not at all provide any proof to back up what are only STEREOTYPES. Stereotypes that most certainly are NOT true about beli, bathiu, and I.

beli said:

:ohmy:

I like at least 3 songs on every U2 album. :D

I like at least 90% of songs on every U2 album.

Which one do you like only 3 songs on?

The nasty remarks from earlier better not continue. I think everybody here knows better than that.

beli said:
lol. Im thinking that still doesnt make me sound that feminine. Im going to have to put some serious thought into this. lol.

:lol:

IWasBored said:

if all the "younger" u2 fans were around in the 80s and 80s u2 didn't appeal to them, then and only then would your arguement hold water. but many of these folks couldn't have possibly liked war when it came out. hell, i wasn't born yet when that album was first released.

There were younger U2 fans in the early 90's and U2 decided to appeal to them with AB.

These fans were also pleased with the rest of the 90's. If that would be the case with the older fanbase, there would not be the drop in sales, most evident with Pop.
(and here is a fact you so wanted, beli. email me if you want to talk further, i'm tired of this third Survivor bickering with you)
U2 changed their sound with ATYCLB and got the older fanbase back, along with some new fans. This continues with HTDAAB - and notice how the 90's fans complain now.

Axver: most stereotypes have a bit of truth in them. Yes, this forum favorizes 90's U2 and is populated by younger fans, and so 90's work gets so much credit. Like I said, you and beli are not typical examples of this forum's visitors' taste.

U2girl said:

There were younger U2 fans in the early 90's and U2 decided to appeal to them with AB.

As far as i know, then U2 wanted to change because they felt bored with what they were doing. And what came out of it was Achtung Baby.. Now i could be wrong, but i remember something like that.

U2girl said:

These fans were also pleased with the rest of the 90's. If that would be the case with the older fanbase, there would not be the drop in sales, most evident with Pop.
(and here is a fact you so wanted, beli. email me if you want to talk further, i'm tired of this third Survivor bickering with you)
U2 changed their sound with ATYCLB and got the older fanbase back, along with some new fans. This continues with HTDAAB - and notice how the 90's fans complain now.

Axver: most stereotypes have a bit of truth in them. Yes, this forum favorizes 90's U2 and is populated by younger fans, and so 90's work gets so much credit. Like I said, you and beli are not typical examples of this forum's visitors' taste.

...here comes the theory not supported by facts again...
U2girl would do so well in Bush's admin.:rolleyes:

Just want to point out that JT and R&H sold so well because they were bought not only by U2 fans (and future U2 fans), but also by a huge number of people that were into country music, cowboy-hats and basicaly the bands image back then...

...and if the band was happy with their music and this "era" they wouldn't need to "dream it all up again" and change...

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone could think that Achtung Baby was a "sellout". They felt they needed to reinvent U2 and Achtung Baby was the result, even though they knew some fans wouldn't be happy with it. Releasing "The Fly" as the first single can't be a "sellout".

In fact a lot of critics were accusing U2 of selling out in the late eighties (I'm not saying I agree with this!)

Stefan said:
I don't understand how anyone could think that Achtung Baby was a "sellout". They felt they needed to reinvent U2 and Achtung Baby was the result, even though they knew some fans wouldn't be happy with it. Releasing "The Fly" as the first single can't be a "sellout".

In fact a lot of critics were accusing U2 of selling out in the late eighties (I'm not saying I agree with this!)

Trust me, U2 fans are very creative. We can turn just about anything U2 does into a "sellout" action.

brindle dolphin undies are the love child of beli and i.
see, beli loves polls.
and undies.
we were discussing bonds granny knickers once, they come in 3-packs and are great after childbirth. anyway, i have dolphin undies and so we mixed the beige brindle bone cream coloured undies with dolpin ones.

see?

hmm ok beli can explain better.

:shifty:

I think the theory that younger U2 fans prefer 90's U2 and older fans prefer 80's U2 is a load of crap, honestly. I really got into U2 with ATYCLB. But does that mean my favourite album is ATYCLB? Oh, goodness no! I thought it was brilliant when I heard it for the first time (with the exception of "New York," "Grace," and "In a Little While"...hehehe, I can remember listening to those in the car and screwing up my face). But when I started getting their older albums, I realised just how musically diverse and amazing the band was. I appreciate ALL of U2's eras at an almost equal rate. I may like Achtung Baby more than The Joshua Tree, but only marginally so. TJT has so many amazing songs, but there are certain ones I could do without. Same goes for AB and every other U2 album. If I were to rank their albums, you'd actually see about an equal balance between them. My top ten at the moment, for instance:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Zooropa
All That You Can't Leave Behind
October
Boy
Pop

And keep in mind that the difference between each ranking is very slim. So really, I think that theory is rubbish.

A deserving victory from the best album ever...

U2girl said:

I love how you're just inventing facts now.

Read 'U2 At The End of the World.'

Do you honestly think U2 would drastically change their sound that much simply to appeal to the younger part of their fanbase? What a horribly shallow move that would have been on U2's part! And why would the younger fans want a change? They, just like the older fans, had fallen in love with the 'classic' U2 sound. What is your proof that these 'younger' fans were unhappy with the U2 they had grown to know and appreciate?

Sheesh.

-Miggy D

U2girl said:

U2 changed their sound with ATYCLB and got the older fanbase back, along with some new fans. This continues with HTDAAB - and notice how the 90's fans complain now..

How dare you? Really. You're sounding like a troll now. Axver doesn't like AB, and while I think he's crazy, at least he's never suggested it was some calculated move.

Do you have any idea what the music scene was like back in the early 90's? NOTHING that U2 was doing during those sessions was some sure ticket to success. If you want to argue that they were inserting grunge into their music, that style didn't become popular until AFTER AB came out. The main influences for Edge were European industrial music--not exactly the style to incorporate if you're going for big sales.

A band rediscovering themselves does not equal an attempt to appeal to younger people, except maybe the younger people inside their own minds who were hungry for new things. To suggest otherwise is about as close to blasphemy on a U2 forum as I could imagine, and if the moderators had cause to excommunicate someone, I couldn't think of a better reason.

Also, the people that liked AB did not all love the 90's output. I know TONS of younger listeners who were big fans of AB but got off the train at Zooropa or POP.

I will agree, however, that the "return" to the old sound with ATYCLB was an effort to get back to something. But you certainly couldn't call that an attempt to appeal to younger viewers.

laz

Back
Top Bottom