***Survivor: Beaten And Blown From The Competition (GRAND FINAL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the single you LIKE the MOST

• I LOVE With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • I LOVE One/Lady With The Spinning Head/Satellite Of Love/Night And Day (Steel String Remix)

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
PREFACE: PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE RULE CHANGE. AS IN THE REAL SURVIVOR COMPETITION, IN THE FINAL ROUND, YOU VOTE FOR THE SINGLE THAT YOU WANT TO WIN.

PLEASE VOTE FOR THE SINGLE THAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE THE BEST.

Last round:
In a surprise come-from-behind loss that involved a sudden flurry of votes in the final half hour, the loser in the penultimate round of the Survivor competition was ...

WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME

Non-winners list
Finals
43. Where The Streets Have No Name
42. All I Want Is You AND I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
41. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
40. The Fly
39. Even Better Than The Real Thing AND New Year's Day
38. If God Will Send His Angels
37. Staring At The Sun
36. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
35. Sunday Bloody Sunday
34. The Unforgettable Fire
33. Popheart
32. Out Of Control
31. Beautiful Day
30. Desire
29. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
28. Electrical Storm
27. Vertigo AND Walk On
26. I Will Follow
25. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
24. Stuck In A Moment
23. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
22. Two Hearts Beat As One
21. The Sweetest Thing
20. A Celebration
19. Gloria

90s/00s Singles
18. Please
17. Elevation
16. Discotheque
15. Last Night On Earth
14. Miss Sarajevo
13. All Because Of You
12. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
11. Numb
10. Lemon
9. Mofo AND Mysterious Ways

Eighties Singles
8. Fire
7. Angel Of Harlem
6. One Tree Hill
5. A Day Without Me
4. In God's Country
3. Another Day
2. 40
1. When Love Comes To Town

Full results for the previous round
Where The Streets Have No Name - 38 votes
One - 37
With Or Without You - 22
Total votes: 97

Finals: U2 Singles Survivor - GRAND FINAL

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the single you like the MOST on the electronic poll above. Thank you.

Please be aware that you are voting on the WHOLE single release, not the individual a-side. In the same way that album survivor involved whole albums with their full complement of tracks competing against each other, singles survivor will involve whole singles with their full complement of tracks competing against each other.

This is a TWO day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote off the single you like the least. The single with the most amount of votes is the the least popular for this round. Voting is anonymous. It's not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Next round all the singles are listed again, minus the single that receives the most amount of votes this round. And again please vote for your least favourite single from the selection.

And on we go for many rounds until there's only two singles left. In the last round you vote for your favourite out of the two. The last single standing is the most popular (or the least unpopular depending on how you look at it).

Tie Breaker

In the event of a tie, the round will be reopened for a day and voting allowed to continue. Should voting remain tied, the round will be reopened until a definitive result is attained. In the event of the round continuing for an excessive length of time, a tied victory shall be declared.

Have fun!

With Or Without You! What is One doing here? :mad:

I can't believe that Streets was kicked out of the last round and I have a suspicion something fishy happened. That just defied all voting patterns known to the competition. But nothing can be proven ...

One NEVER deserved to make it this far.

Axver said:
With Or Without You! What is One doing here? :mad:

I can't believe that Streets was kicked out of the last round and I have a suspicion something fishy happened. That just defied all voting patterns known to the competition. But nothing can be proven ...

One NEVER deserved to make it this far.

i beg to differ. my vote goes to One! :wink:

Axver said:
I have a suspicion something fishy happened. That just defied all voting patterns known to the competition. But nothing can be proven ...
like i said last time (i think it was last time), if someone truly suspects foul play, you can ask one of the super mods to look at the voting history and see who voted for what. any alters would be exposed. i hope everything's legit though, because i don't know what i'd think if someone was stuffing a ballot box over something as unimportant as this.

I was so sure Streets was going to win.

The funny thing was I've been voting One for the last 3-4 rounds....Except now, seeing it against With or Without You...I just have to vote for it.

My vote reluctantly goes to One.

I can't believe people are voting for a single with two COVERS to win.

WOWY.

One is the better a-side. It's eternal.

But WOWY has far superior b-sides. So it wins.

Axver said:
I can't believe people are voting for a single with two COVERS to win.

I don't think that something being a cover necessarily means it's automatically worse than an original song. It's entirely possible that a cover can be better than an original b-side.

Except in this case. :wink:

If this was a vote to determine which a-side is better, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for One. But I think With or Without You's b-sides are superior.

So With or Without You it is.

With Or Without You. I cannot believe this. Streets was supposed to win, no contest. I'm disheartened. So much so I almost didn't vote.

This is disgraceful. Lady With The Spinning Head is to The Fly as Always is to Beautiful Day. Night And Day is not only a cover, but a remix. Satellite of Love is a cover. Yes. This is U2's best single for sure. Obviously because they didn't write half of it. I mean, I think their lack of writing two of the tracks more than makes up for an overrated, commercial song (that I've oddly never once heard on the radio...). Yes. Let's all vote One. :|

the tourist said:
This is disgraceful. Lady With The Spinning Head is to The Fly as Always is to Beautiful Day. Night And Day is not only a cover, but a remix. Satellite of Love is a cover. Yes. This is U2's best single for sure. Obviously because they didn't write half of it. I mean, I think their lack of writing two of the tracks more than makes up for an overrated, commercial song (that I've oddly never once heard on the radio...). Yes. Let's all vote One. :|

Except that LWTSH is much better than Always. The extended dance mix of it is a masterpiece in its own right. The shorter version here is great. And btw, your analogy doesn't quite hold because LWTSH is mother to two songs, The Fly AND Ultraviolet, that's how good it was.

I really don't understand what the big deal about them being covers is. They did a VERY good job on them. They took two classic songs - one of which, Night And Day, is one of the great pop songs ever written, by Cole Porter nontheless - and made them their own, and that is something much easier said than done. Satellite Of Love will always remind me of the Zoo era.

As for 'One' being overrated, saying that is what is disgraceful.

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters, brothers
One life
but we're not the same
we get to carry each other
carry each other
One

The purest of sentiments.

In my opinion:

Luminous Times > With Or Without You > Walk To The Water > Lady With The Spinning Head > One > uncreative :madspit: covers.

I would much rather listen to a song that U2 have created and written themselves rather than simply lifting from someone else. As with every rule, there is an exception, but not for the One single. I'm talking about Dancing Barefoot, which you people kicked off FIRST, and the Lovetown versions of All Along The Watchtower, which obviously never had a chance.

It seems some people are just extremely emotionally attached to One and can't bring themselves to vote against it and have let vastly superior single collections fall by the wayside.

Axver said:
In my opinion:

Luminous Times > With Or Without You > Walk To The Water > Lady With The Spinning Head > One > uncreative :madspit: covers.
I would much rather listen to a song that U2 have created and written themselves rather than simply lifting from someone else.

:up:

These are just the two least objectionable singles out there.

Streets was a perfectly fine collection which I thought had a good chance of getting the vote (especially with The Sweetest Thing on there for the slightly less obsessive fan), it continues to baffle me why it was so randomly shot down.

I've always thought the whole cover/remix argument is a tad flawed as well. I'd rather hear the Elevation Influx mix over most UF reject b-sides merely because it sounds better and is more enjoyable. I think it really doesnt bother me (or I think most people) wether its a remix or what not. Coverwise its a bit of pot luck, Everlasting Love is a great one though, thats why most people didnt mind keeping it around on AIWIY. Neon Lights was fairly bleh and was removed quickly.

But its cool, we will all vote in different ways, I know I merely voted for the things that gave me the most pleasure (possible exception, fast tracking my voting for UF). Neither of these singles terribly float my boat (or vote for that matter).

Still One > WOWY.

Last edited:
I'm not voting anymore -- I said I wouldn't if I Still Haven't Found got knocked off and I mean that -- but I do want to chime in and say a big Thank You! to Axver for running this Survivor. It's been frustrating as hell sometimes, but it's been great fun.

Luminous Times And Walk to The Water don't strike me as decent b-sides, but Lady With The Spinning Head and Night and Day are some of my favorite b-sides. I really hate these b-sides comming into play because I like WOWY better than One.

Are we going to have survivor for the best U2 song? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom