***Survivor: Beaten And Blown From The Competition (GRAND FINAL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the single you LIKE the MOST

• I LOVE With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • I LOVE One/Lady With The Spinning Head/Satellite Of Love/Night And Day (Steel String Remix)

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KhanadaRhodes said:

we already did. guess what won? :sigh:

I would like to see a Survivor competition that lacks the hyper-popular songs.

Of course, the problem then would be that we'd have a flame war over what to include and what to exclude.

I'd actually like to see a Survivor for the WORST song, as I don't think that's so clear-cut. The Refugee, Red Light, 4th Of July, Love Rescue Me, Babyface, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Miami, Peace On Earth, Grace, et cetera - I can see all of them battling it out and I don't think the winner would be that obvious.

Oh, must have missed it.

How could One win over WTSHNN w/o b-sides included? :eyebrow: Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist, but I really don't care for One that much. The lyrics are increadible, but the rest of the band doesn't seem to be very involved in it, except for the live version, which has an interesting guitar solo.

Axver said:
I'd actually like to see a Survivor for the WORST song, as I don't think that's so clear-cut. The Refugee, Red Light, 4th Of July, Love Rescue Me, Babyface, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Miami, Peace On Earth, Grace, et cetera - I can see all of them battling it out and I don't think the winner would be that obvious.

That would be very interesting, I can picture a lot of fighting going on durring that. :wink:

The very first Survivor - I think a year ago, maybe more - featured all of U2's songs. The final was Streets versus One and One won by a small margin.

shit, maybe i'm gonna have to do the worst song survivor since no one else is stepping up to the plate. :sigh: (yeah, like i HAVE to or something.)

i guess after this is all done i'll make a sticky thread and ask people for their input on what songs to include.

I would be willing to do another Survivor series as long as someone can hold the fort while I'm in the US (I will have computer access on many days, though).

Is there anyone else who'd like to run one? And we've had a few Survivors proposed - what do we want to do?

Originally posted by IrishDawg
Luminous Times And Walk to The Water don't strike me as decent b-sides, but Lady With The Spinning Head and Night and Day are some of my favorite b-sides.

Well, I don't agree at all !! :sad:

In fact ... I have a REVERSED opinion to your above post ...

Luminous Times and Walk To The Water are the better tunes !!
Lady With The Spinning Head and Night And Day are ... :madspit:

KhanadaRhodes said:
shit, maybe i'm gonna have to do the worst song survivor since no one else is stepping up to the plate. :sigh: (yeah, like i HAVE to or something.)

i guess after this is all done i'll make a sticky thread and ask people for their input on what songs to include.

I think we should just go album by album. You list all the songs including b-sides and then vote for the one you like the most. It could be a one day poll and you would remove the top three vote getters and then run another one again removing the top three vote getters. And then when you go through all the albums you can combine what you have left until we have a winner. That way no complaining that a song would have won had it been included and by doing one day polls with multiple eliminations you could cut down on the time it would take to run the poll. I would also suggest only using original U2 songs and no covers. Just suggestions.

Last edited:
Axver said:
In my opinion:

Luminous Times > With Or Without You > Walk To The Water > Lady With The Spinning Head > One > uncreative :madspit: covers.

I would much rather listen to a song that U2 have created and written themselves rather than simply lifting from someone else. As with every rule, there is an exception, but not for the One single. I'm talking about Dancing Barefoot, which you people kicked off FIRST, and the Lovetown versions of All Along The Watchtower, which obviously never had a chance.

It seems some people are just extremely emotionally attached to One and can't bring themselves to vote against it and have let vastly superior single collections fall by the wayside.

So it has to be people who don't have control of their emotions that vote for One? No one can possibly have an objective pro-One opinion here?

And With Or Without You > One > LWTSH > Covers > Luminous Times > Walk To The Water

WOWY is incredible, but One's B-sides do more for me.

it's a tough choice. i love wowy (the song and the single), but one means more i don't know what for me... and i guess for the band as well.

it also seems that, just like in the best song survivor, a lot of people can't just accept that One can win a contest.

Let's have a worst of U2 survivor. It'd be a competition I wouldn't mind One winning. :wink:

:madspit: Just because it has the A-Side that most list as their favorite.......whatever, here's hoping "WOWY" can make a comeback....

With Or Without You is one of the worst U2 songs in some sense, of course not literally but it's very boring. Worst from Joshua Tree, excluding MOTD and TTYW. So One it is. Even if that's overrated too.

TheRooster said:
I think we should just go album by album. You list all the songs including b-sides and then vote for the one you like the most.
yeah, pretty much everything you said was how we did the best song survivor series. each album was a category, and then all the b-sides were another category; covers weren't included.

maybe we should have a survivor series on what to do for the next survivor series!! :laugh:

TheRooster said:
:lol:
Brilliant! I love it.
:wink:

well, i bit the bullet. i'm comprising a list of everything as we speak. when this is done and the winner is posted, i'll put up a sticky thread listing each round and what's on it so anyone can suggest any additions or subtractions, as well as the rules.

Instead of Survivor for best song, why not pit two songs against eachother (think NCAA tournemant style) and the winner moves on. In my opinion, this will be more accurate as to what the favorite song is. It will also eliminate people targeting certain songs for eliminaton (as occured in this poll). The only problem would be seeding the songs. I would suggest 64 songs. The question is what 64 and the seeding.

Back
Top Bottom